Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front sidemarker - turn signal modification
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Front sidemarker - turn signal modification Reply with quote

Here's a nice Christmas project I just completed. I first read about this a year or two ago on Daniel Stern's website, and always wanted to do it:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/markerflash/markerflash.html
I didn't realize then that on our busses, the front side markers were just reflectors. So this Christmas, I finally decided to do something about it.

Get two used rear side marker socket inserts. The hardest part of the project is drilling the hole in the front door to accomodate the socket insert. I used a template, but since it's all covered up by the reflector anyway, neatness isn't too critical - just make sure you use the rubber gaskets. I also put shiny foil tape on the plastic socket holder to increase brightness and relectivity. Then just wire the two wires from the sidemarker to the turn signal and park lamp wires that pass right near the headlight. It doesn't matter which wire goes where. I was wiring my Bosch H4 headlamp "city lights" at the same time (from this thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1675856&highlight=#1675856), so I did them all at once.

I'm really happy with the results. It all works exactly as it says in the Daniel Stern link above, and it looked really cool in my darkened garage. The side markers flash in sync with the front turn signal with the lights off. With the lights on, they alternate, which looks cool. Of course, with the headlights on or park lights on, the sidemarkers are lit up. With just the hazard lights on, they all flash in sync.

I'm going to do this mod to the rear sidemarker lights, too, and turn them into turn signals. It will only involve switching one wire (the ground wire from ground to the turn signal feed).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And here are the results. The dim headlights are my "city lights".

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool idea!

make sure you treat that bare metal with something! if not you will end up with rust! even if it's just touch up paint!

PUT SOMETHING ON IT...

Nice idea though, and makes you safer at night!

good one!
oompa_loompa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this idea! I'd do it if I didn't cring at the thought of making a hole in my bus. Sad
Dual Weber IDF 44
SVDA
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys do realise that the front sidemarker light is the little bulb in the turnsignal light? [on USA buses]
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwbusbusvw
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMVWC
Quote:
stuped is stuped duse
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting avatar........

And the reason for the picture is?
jered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking burying the hatchet? (However... not a hatchet, and not buried...)
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool. I'm saving this thread and adding it to the project list! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Front sidemarker - turn signal modification Reply with quote

Karl wrote:
You guys do realise that the front sidemarker light is the little bulb in the turnsignal light? [on USA buses]

The front turn-signal lamps of British and European specification, 1968~79 VW Type 2s, contains only one, single-filament, 21W bulb, unlike the North American specification, 1968~79 VW Type 2s; having a single two-filament 21/5W bulb on 1968~72 models or a two-filament 21/5W bulb and single-filament 4W or 5W bulb on 1973~79 models.

The two-filament 21/5W bulb, corresponds to the 21W turn signal & 5W parking light, whilst the single-filament 4W or 5W bulb, corresponds to the front side-marker light, found on 1973~79 models

The single-filament, 21W bulb, of British and European specification, 1968~79 VW Type 2s, corresponds to the turn signal, whilst the parking-light facility, is provided by a single-filament 4W or 5W bulb, mounted in the headlamp unit.

In many European countries, daytime use of dipped headlamps or daytime running lights, are obligatory and subject to serious fines in some cases. This is likely to be introduced into the United Kingdom and other European Union countries, in the "interests" of EU harmonisation of lighting regulations.

Hence I might update my British specification, 1973 VW Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, by retro-fitting 1968~72 VW Type 2 front turn signals above the bumper and replace the British & European specifation, high-level, 1973~79 VW Type 2 turn-signal units, with those of North American specification, with clear quartz-halogen bulbs, amber bulbs and aftermarket clear lenses, to provide daytime running lights, parking lights and turn-signal side repeaters.

The British and European specification, 1968~79 VW Type 2s, were never factory-fitted with front or rear side-marker reflectors or lights. During the late-1970s, I had for reasons of improved safety, already retro-fitted North American specification, front side-marker reflectors (cab-door mounted) & rear side-marker lights, the front ones of which, I shall upgrade to side-marker lights. I also have some OEM, 1968~79 VW Type 2 pattern, Hella turn-signal side repeaters, which fit onto the B-pillar, rearward of the cab door.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet

Last edited by NASkeet on Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fusername
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooh I likey. SOMEONE smashed off both front side markers, or whatever they are called, and now I just have 2 bent screws sticking out of each door. ARGHHH! and it shows just how many coats of paint my bus has. I think its on its third paint job now, and its peeling like an onion in places. I like the idea of a side blinker, as I hath dubbed thee!

someday soon!

FORSALE: Thrust cut T4 and 1.9 main bearings
obnoxiousblue wrote:
Maybe Ben Pon's ghost comes and vomits NOS stampings for your bus, but not mine!
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was going to remove mine for aero dynamics on the repaint, but it would destroy the classic look and safety of doing it your way. but havent you ever used a hole saw? if you cant get the exact right size, a sanding drum on a drill would finish up the sizing real good.
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dansvans wrote:
but havent you ever used a hole saw? if you cant get the exact right size, a sanding drum on a drill would finish up the sizing real good.

I was trying to get a snug fit with the recessed socket, but ended up going back and forth with filing the edges with a small hand file, and then the screw holes wouldn't align, so I just took my jigsaw and cut it larger. Since its all covered up, and the hole is protected by the rubber gasket that surrounds the socket plate, I wasn't too worried.

If I was doing it again, I would probably just cut a nice round hole like is done for the rear sidemarker lights.

Meyer wrote:
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing to worry about- just that hole saws are so fast. i suppose the rear holes would make a good template. thanks for the idea. keeps idiot drivers from getting the idea they have an excuse to slip by me as I change lanes.
VanderBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same to mine last year and have no regrets. I scrounged extra bulb holders from junkyard busses and wired them up as running lights. I made the big holes with an electrician's chassis punch for a clean installation. I also used washer tubing split lengthwise as gasket material.
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those little bulbs are side markers?
I thought they were European-style (AKA: Logical) parking lamps.

I haven't reinstalled any side markers on mine yet. I don't really like them. If I do put them on, I'll tie them to the turn signals.

Thanks for the info, good job.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Front sidemarker - turn signal modification Reply with quote

Duncwarw wrote:

I haven't reinstalled any side markers on mine yet. I don't really like them. If I do put them on, I'll tie them to the turn signals.

Duncan.

British & European specification, side-mounted parking lights (if fitted – obligatory for Austrian specification models, I think), have a front-facing clear lens and a rearward-facing red lens.

The only lamps which may be amber, are side-marker lights (front & rear) and turn-signal cum hazard-warning lights (side, front & rear).

Front-facing, daytime running lights and parking lights, must be clear (i.e. colourless). In Sweden and possibly some other countries, daytime running lights, may alternatively be yellow.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dr. no
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And the reason for the picture is?

Hack job?
(Doesn't bother me though. Does this count as a hippy hack, or does the addition of Volvo-style safety features add a new category, the "yuppie-hack"?)

'83.5 Westy s/p 1.6td JX and 4sp DK transplant--wonderful!
'86 MB 300GD
'06 MB Sprinter
'17 BMW X1
'89 Isuzu Trooper

PAST VWs:
'82 NA diesel Vanagon
'86 7-passenger Vanagon
'77 Bay
'71 Bay
'74 Things (2)
'69 Karmann Ghia (the only one I miss--in nice weather, anyway...)
'91 Fox
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
phorce1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Front sidemarker - turn signal modification Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
Duncwarw wrote:

Duncan.

British & European specification, side-mounted parking lights (if fitted – obligatory for Austrian specification models, I think), have a front-facing clear lens and a rearward-facing red lens.

The only lamps which may be amber, are side-marker lights (front & rear) and turn-signal cum hazard-warning lights (side, front & rear).

Now, for those in the U.S. (I'm in Texas) please note his description mentioned BOTH "parking lights" and "side marker lights".

In Europe narrow roads and no garage is the rule rather than the exception.

When light switch is pulled out the MARKER lights light up to make you more visible while driving, just like over here

When one parks for the night you just pull two wheels up on the sidewalk and leave the rest of the car hanging out in the roadway. Special circuitry in the turn signal switch turns on JUST the PARKING lamps on the left/right side of the car when you flip the switch while the key is off. So, when one pulls up for the night one turns on the parking lamps and has a red-rear and clear-front light lit on the side of the car that is hanging out in the road.

Over here we call all lamps that light when the headlight switch is pulled out to the first stop either parking lights or marker ligts. Usually people will refer to front/rear facing lights as parking lights and anything on the side of the vehicle as a marker light. No special way to light only some of them.

G2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in germany many moons ago, you had to use those low-wattage parking lights in certain areas and I always thought they were a good idea. Here though, if you leave your "parking" lights on overnight, you probably ain't goin' nowhere in the morning.

Why do American cars even have those high-wattage lights?
Around here, DMV suggests not driving with them on at the very least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: