Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front sidemarker - turn signal modification
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Front sidemarker - turn signal modification Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
Got my hole saw!
Going at the bus tomorrow!
Does anyone know what color the two wires are I need to tie into to make the side markers flash with the turn signal?

I believe it's Black & White and Black & Green. There should be a connector dangling behind your kick panels where you can tie into them.

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Front sidemarker - turn signal modification Reply with quote

Finally got this done! Thanks for all the help!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Video of the markers

Link

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Front sidemarker - turn signal modification Reply with quote

Well done, son.

I may have to do this mod... and get them to blink alternatively.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Front sidemarker - turn signal modification Reply with quote

Same here, i think i will also do this as i am Not a purist and totally
enjoy my 3rd brake light from gowesty as well.

way too many asswipes out there texting 24/7 Evil or Very Mad
BusLightyear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Front sidemarker - turn signal modification Reply with quote

So, I know this is an old thread, but I hope some of you can help me out with some directions.

I've just imported a '77 US spec westy to Europe (Denmark). It comes equipped with side markers and US spec front lights. In order to get the bus registered in Denmark, I need to both replace the front lights to H4 and add turn signals on the side of the bus.

I thought I'd use the redundant (in Europe at least) front side markers for adding/converting into turn signals as described in this thread.

The only problem is that in Denmark we're required to:

a) drive with the front lights on all the time
b) have turn signals that are turned off when not flashing
c) have turn signals that are all in sync.

Is there any way to modify the described procedure/wirering so I'm able to reuse the frontside side markers as turn signals and at the same time fulfill the requirements as stated above?

I guess what I need is the crossfeed mod, but with the side markers being off when the front lights are on. This would mean turn signals flashing in unison and side markers being off when turn signals are not flashing. All with the front lights being on.

I'm thinking that european born vans which came with on the side turn signals must have somehow been wired up to flash in sync and stay off when not flashing, but I can't find any information about wirering anywhere.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Front sidemarker - turn signal modification Reply with quote

BusLightyear wrote:
So, I know this is an old thread, but I hope some of you can help me out with some directions.

I've just imported a '77 US spec westy to Europe (Denmark). It comes equipped with side markers and US spec front lights. In order to get the bus registered in Denmark, I need to both replace the front lights to H4 and add turn signals on the side of the bus.

I thought I'd use the redundant (in Europe at least) front side markers for adding/converting into turn signals as described in this thread.

Is there any way to modify the described procedure/wirering so I'm able to reuse the frontside side markers as turn signals and at the same time fulfill the requirements as stated above?

I guess what I need is the crossfeed mod, but with the side markers being off when the front lights are on. This would mean turn signals flashing in unison and side markers being off when turn signals are not flashing. All with the front lights being on.

I'm thinking that european born vans which came with on the side turn signals must have somehow been wired up to flash in sync and stay off when not flashing, but I can't find any information about wirering anywhere.

You will need to fit EU compliant headlamps (preferably H4 or LED), with integral 4W or 5W side-light or parking-light, using the grey or grey/black or grey/red wires from the twin-filament 21/5W bulbs in the USA specification turn-signal lamps.

The turn-signal lamp with orange lens may only be used as a turn-signal lamp, but you might be able to use it as a combined front-facing turn-signal and side-facing turn-signal (i.e. side-repeater) lamp. The legality of this, will depend upon the required angular zone of visibility of the side-facing turn-signals.

There are Hella turn-signal lamps available which can be mounted on the B-pillar behind the cab doors, as fitted to Italian and Norwegian (and possibly Danish) specification 1968~79 VW Type 2s.

You might also wish to read this topic thread:

Forum Index > Bay Window Bus > 1968~79 VW Type 2, supplementary turn-signal facilitation

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=268164

If you don't wish to drive with H4 headlamps on during daylight, you can retro-fit some accessory daytime running lights. I have some ideas for creating a factory-fitted appearance by adapting 1968~72 VW Type 2 turn-signal lamps, which is what I would like to do with my British specification, 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, so that I can drive in Europe without using headlamps during the day.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Front sidemarker - turn signal modification Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:

Since you bring it up, I would like to take the opportunity to point out that this is my photograph, and I am offering these to the community at cost:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1902174
I hope that it is OK to say that here.

Edit: These come with amber LED (low power) festoon bulbs, too!
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD

Last edited by jtauxe on Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusLightyear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Front sidemarker - turn signal modification Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing it up a bit!

If I were to fit new Hella turn signals on the b-post of my bus, where would I wire up the two wires? I guess one of them would be spliced to the green turn signal wire on the front turn signal but where would the other one go if I want turn signals that are off when not flashing and I have the front lights on?

And wouldn't fitting an extra set of turn signals on the side of the bus require another kind of relay for the turn signal as i guess the stock one is meant for only two in the front and two in the rear? Or is the extra two (4w?) bulbs not a problem in the circuit?

Sorry for all the questions but I have a lack of knowledge when it comes the electrics.

/ Simon
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Front sidemarker - turn signal modification Reply with quote

BusLightyear wrote:
Thanks for clearing it up a bit!

If I were to fit new Hella turn signals on the b-post of my bus, where would I wire up the two wires? I guess one of them would be spliced to the green turn signal wire on the front turn signal but where would the other one go if I want turn signals that are off when not flashing and I have the front lights on?

And wouldn't fitting an extra set of turn signals on the side of the bus require another kind of relay for the turn signal as i guess the stock one is meant for only two in the front and two in the rear? Or is the extra two (4w?) bulbs not a problem in the circuit?

Sorry for all the questions but I have a lack of knowledge when it comes the electrics.

/ Simon

If I recall correctly, there is a unit with logic circuits available from Daniel Stern, which causes the side-marker lights to flash in phase with the normal turn-signals, irrespective of whether the side-lights and side-marker-lights are switched off or on.

http://danielsternlighting.com/tech/markerflash/markerflash.html

http://dastern.torque.net/Mods/DRL/DRL1.html

Live connections to the normal turn-signal lamps are green/red on one side and green/white on the other side. I cannot recall which way around they should be, so consult the VW Type 2 electrical wiring diagram.

I suspect that some of the modern electronic turn-signal flasher units are insensitive to the total wattage of flashing bulbs.

jtauxe wrote:
NASkeet wrote:

Since you bring it up, I would like to take the opportunity to point out that this is my photograph, and I am offering these to the community at cost:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1902174

I hope that it is OK to say that here.

By all means mention it.

I searched for this advertisement that I had seen recently, but couldn't find it! Shocked Embarassed

I had also noted the reference to the substitution of LED bulbs. Smile

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

Last edited by NASkeet on Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Front sidemarker - turn signal modification Reply with quote

These are the instructions in German which come with the B-pillar mounted, turn-signal lamps (Hella part No. 2BA 001 227-211:

Nigel A. Skeet

coolerthanelvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Front sidemarker - turn signal modification Reply with quote

BusLightyear wrote:

Do you already have actual lights attached to your front doors or are they just reflectors? If just reflectors then you will have to add lights as described earlier in this thread. The bulb pushes into the socket and has two wire terminals to connect wires to. The crossfeed method described in the link http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/markerflash/markerflash.html shows how to get side marker lights or driving lights with turn signals. If you look at the diagram for side marker lights you see that one side of the bulb is ground (or earth) and the other side is fed by the green wire of the parking lamp circuit.:

If you connect instead to the red and purple wires for the turn signals then you will have lights that are off unless the turn signal for that side is actuated, then they will flash in unison. Hope this helps.
SV2s member #420
'68 Westy

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Silent Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Front sidemarker - turn signal modification Reply with quote

Keep in mind Shawn, that the factory-stock, North American specification, 1973~79 VW Type 2, front side-marker lights, were incorporated into the front-panel mounted turn-signal lamps, on either side of the ventilation grille, rather than the cab-door mounted amber side-marker reflectors.

I acknowledge that it is practical to substitute rear engine-compartment, side-panel mounted, side-marker lamp bulb-holder base plates, in place of the cab-door mounted side-marker reflector base plates, in order to convert them into front side-marker lamps.

Nigel A. Skeet

Spud72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Front sidemarker - turn signal modification Reply with quote

Sorry I know that this is an old thread but it looks like the best one.

I want to make my UK late bay more visible ( also I like them ) so want to have USA front indicators on it so that they glow orange as driving lights in addition to the side lights.

Does anyone have a picture of inside the unit - is it a twin filament bulb or is the housing different with 2 bulbs, I cant find out much about 73 and later over here. If it is twin filament if anyone has a picture of the bulb holder it would be brilliant.

thanks
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Front sidemarker - turn signal modification Reply with quote

Ok but does the wide edge face of the lenses forward or towards the rear Embarassed

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Front sidemarker - turn signal modification Reply with quote

Spud72 wrote:
Does anyone have a picture of inside the unit - is it a twin filament bulb or is the housing different with 2 bulbs, I cant find out much about 73 and later over here.

The very first post on page one of this thread has pictures of the unit. It is a single filament bulb. It is just a rear sidemarker light which uses the orange front reflector as the cover.

14 years later, and the bulbs still work fine. Very Happy

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daves_ale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Front sidemarker - turn signal modification Reply with quote

I'm digging this. Booked marked and added to the list for the '78 and '71.

'66 Euro Beetle 1200A
'71 Single Cab
'78 Westy
'02 Jaguar XK8 convertible
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Front sidemarker - turn signal modification Reply with quote

Spud72 wrote:
Sorry I know that this is an old thread but it looks like the best one.

I want to make my UK late bay more visible ( also I like them ) so want to have USA front indicators on it so that they glow orange as driving lights in addition to the side lights.

Does anyone have a picture of inside the unit - is it a twin filament bulb or is the housing different with 2 bulbs, I cant find out much about 73 and later over here. If it is twin filament if anyone has a picture of the bulb holder it would be brilliant.

thanks

The only front-facing orange lights on the front of the vehicle that one may have in the UK, are flashing direction indicators. North American specification, front-indicator units with either of the two non-direction-indicator bulb filaments constantly iluminated would be illegal on a UK-registered vehicle!

Nigel A. Skeet

gbrumage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Front sidemarker - turn signal modification Reply with quote

Sometimes old threads are the best threads.

I decided to follow suit as well as upgrade to LEDs.
Found some awesome waterproof red and amber that snugly fit an 11/32 hole. The center hole, without the socket is too big, so i gutted the socket and used it as a spacer. I gave each a touch of super glue.

They're built and tested but I haven't fitted them yet. The center is running the two outside are turn indicators.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: