Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake fluid from the front of the MC?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bay Window Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Brake fluid from the front of the MC? Reply with quote

I installed the new MC, with little problem, aside from the new seals not sealing the reservior to the MC as well as the old, but I just used the old, and its sealed up. Good thing they were in good shape. The problem is that when I went to pump the brakes and bleed them, the MC leaks brake fluid from the front. When the lever goes into the MC, its fine, but when you release the pedal, fluid comes out the front of the MC. What causes that, did I do something wrong, and how do I fix it?

Any help is great. I'm working on it now.

Member: WTKHABG

Original Air Cooler Member
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
86syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the new one you got is a dud.

I put an inexpensive rebuilt one on my 73' transporter and never had anything happen like what you describe. It sounds like the piston seal is leaking or the cylinder wall has a defect in it causing blow by.

Id just swap it out with another. Also, make sure that you do not have any fluid in your vaccum unit. My old MC leaked a bunch of fluid into the vaccum chamber. I had to pump the brake with the MC off to get it out.

This could be your problem as well. If fluid was in there before you replaced the MC, then it maybe leaking out now when you pump the brake. Your new MC may be good after all!
Bay Window Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. Shot MC. I was afraid that might be what it is. Guess I need to take it back off and trade it out for a new one.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
i_am_cool_fred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bay Window Steve wrote:
Hmm.. Shot MC. I was afraid that might be what it is. Guess I need to take it back off and trade it out for a new one.

that lifetime warranty is about to take action. Wink

Brian Denning, as seen on Gearz TV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bay Window Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, and unfortunately. Confused

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: