Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old Surf Bus
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigbulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Old Surf Bus Reply with quote

Does anyone know the story of this bus? I got pics of it on Newquay, England in the 60's and here it is in 65 in the US at Greg Nolls factory! Must be some amazing story if they travelled all over in this bus to surf!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KamperKitJay
BDM Hit Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats sweet!!! would like to know more about it to!!!
SHSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two vintage snapshots of it.
KamperKitJay
BDM Hit Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of old surf buses, I came accross the Harbour surfboards bus in an article in a longboard magazine awhile back and thought it would be cool to duplicate the logos on mine because its the same color....I contacted Rich Harbour and asked him if I could do it but got no response back...Oh well
Anyway just my 2 cent story....hey post more pics of that bus!!!!

Happy New Year!!!
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool stuff
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny this is the one i was thinking of also when i saw this post initially..

KamperKitJay said

1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing a super cool old 15 window with some surf shop logos on it a long while back. I've also spotted some cool old Split Buses in old Bruce Brown movies, can't remember which ones exactly. There is a RHD bullet Bus that buzzed by the camera in Endless Summer, I think it was in Australia. There was also a beautiful whitewalled ribbed bumper single cab from a surf shop, might have been Hobie's, can't recall for sure. Also, another bit of cool VW/Surf content is the driver Oval Convertible in Big Wednesday. I think they drove it down to the draft office.

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Surf Bus Reply with quote

bigbulli wrote:
Does anyone know the story of this bus? I got pics of it on Newquay, England in the 60's and here it is in 65 in the US at Greg Nolls factory! Must be some amazing story if they travelled all over in this bus to surf!

I think that bus was painted by Rick Griffin. He was a famous hippy style painter in the late 50's tru the 70's. Old skool surfer. http://www.myraltis.co.uk/rickgriffin/index.htm This is some really cool shit!
polo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it count if its a modern day, in-use version? Yeah, ok I windsurf, not surf, and I'm not sure I'd want to have all those kooky graphics on my bus, but come spring and the warm weather I'll be able to go on some road trips to the beaches, and I like to think my bus will be happy about its new job in life...

http://polo.poloukhine.com/wsBuspage.htm

2004 New Beetle Convertible GLS 1.8T

BumbleBuggy wrote:
Nothing is cooler than driving a car that brings joy to the world simply by idling at a light.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamperKitJay wrote:
speaking of old surf buses, I came accross the Harbour surfboards bus in an article in a longboard magazine awhile back and thought it would be cool to duplicate the logos on mine because its the same color....I contacted Rich Harbour and asked him if I could do it but got no response back...Oh well
Anyway just my 2 cent story....hey post more pics of that bus!!!!

Happy New Year!!!

You should do it anyway, but change the name from Harbour to something else. That logo looks pretty sweet there.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KamperKitJay
BDM Hit Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Old Surf Bus Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
bigbulli wrote:

I think that bus was painted by Rick Griffin. He was a famous hippy style painter in the late 50's tru the 70's. Old skool surfer. http://www.myraltis.co.uk/rickgriffin/index.htm This is some really cool shit!

Your thinking of the bus called "Motorskill" it was an old school bus (gmc?) that him and alot of other painters worked on...not a vw....
Thanks kirk but I am trying to find some inspiration for some logos on mine...and maybe nothin!!!
bigbulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres that pic of it in Newquay! Is it the same bus? What happened to it, whats the story?

the only caption I have found for the first pic is "Newquay's first surf shop run by Doug Wilson for Bilbo, mid - late 60s"

I'm 95% sure thats a UK conversion, I know I seen one at an early stanford hall, so it has to be a UK bus gone to the states?

mammoth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys looking at the pics it could be an Aussie bus (LHS cargo door RHD)as the sign writing is about places in Victoria. (State of Australia)
Also if it has travelled from the US to UK then travelling from Australia to the US would not have been a problem
fig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
I remember seeing a super cool old 15 window with some surf shop logos on it a long while back.

This one?:

The owner of that shop had a great bus collection, all sold now, including a DD panel and a pristine, original paint, palm green/sand green 57 standard.

"Don't make a fuss, just get on the bus ..."
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fig wrote:
BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
I remember seeing a super cool old 15 window with some surf shop logos on it a long while back.

This one?:

The owner of that shop had a great bus collection, all sold now, including a DD panel and a pristine, original paint, palm green/sand green 57 standard.

Nope, I'm talking about one I saw in person many years back. I recall it was a Turkis and Blue White 15 Window with vintage (at least in style) surf shop logos. I saw the Bus one time when I was heading south around Santa Barbara, probably mid to late 1990's. Funny how certain things like that can stick in your mind vividly.

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wexford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairly certain I have some pics of it in a surf book of vintage photos, will dig it out....

Ben
SCZ9-1-1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg Noll is the surfer in the center. He lives up in Northern California and may shed some light on this bus. It looks like some kind of promo tour for "Surfing Hollow Days" which was one of Greg's early surf films or a promo bus for an Aussie surf shop/surf club. The photo was taken by famed surf photographer Leroy Grannis. I think he has passed away. On looking at it closer it looks like it belonged to some sort of Aussie Surf club and yes the art work does look like early Rick Griffin work that is similar to work he did for The Surfer magazine, but probably ripped off by the Aussies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rawdyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, definitely Greg Noll. I have emailed him asking about it.

This is from the Leroy Grannis book...

Caption (thanks to Red Kev)
"A pair of Australian surfers drove this classic Westfalia kombi throughout Europe before shipping it over to pay homage to surf mecca."

I have also forwarded enquiries to the Point Lonsdale Board Riders and a couple of other places.
dubstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Surfing Hollow Days" was actually a 1961 film by Bruce Brown, not Noll...Grannis is still alive

I have a relative in Australia who was one of the pioneering shapers in the 50s and a focal point for the up-and-coming new generation in the late 60s...I'll forward the picture and thread and see if he knows anything

http://instagram.com/john_aka_dubstar/
http://web.stagram.com/n/john_aka_dubstar/

"you could transport really tall things too, like a giraffe"
rawdyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of films mentioned on the artwork such as Endless Summer and The Young Wave Hunters.

Yeah Grannis is doing it tough buy all accounts.

Hope you get some info from your contact.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: