Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV joints......or rebuilt axle.....you decide!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: CV joints......or rebuilt axle.....you decide! Reply with quote

Well about four days ago Bessie developed the Clunk, Clunk, Clunk symptoms of a bad CV. Personally I think it had to do with me having to chain her up due to the snow here in CO.

In any case, I searched thru all the threads here......great info! And I decided that since Bessie is my daily, I would just buy a re-built axle. (plus it's fu%^ing cold) I called Checker's in the Springs, and the dude said they had one in stock!

Here is the kicker......for $75, plus some govt cheese, I got a rebuilt axle......it was done with two NEW Lobro CV joints, (made in Germany for those that don't know) and boots. Done by ARI (American Rebuilders Inc)

I switched it out in the parking lot, (30 minutes) and got my $75 core on the spot.....

I can't imagine why anyone would want to play in that moly grease, and pay almost the same cash for one new joint.

peace

p.s It's guarantted for "life"......as long as I don't lose the reciept.

And to the post I searched.....that asked, "how long will it last, after the clunkin' begins"? Well, mine lasted more than a 100 miles.......but most was 'downhill' and it doesn't clunk much when not under load.
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, I may have to check into that... the Checker website is a bit confusing; was the $75 for a single side or both left and right? Either way it's a bargain considering the alternatives.

Thanks for the heads up!
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sped372 wrote:
Very nice, I may have to check into that... the Checker website is a bit confusing; was the $75 for a single side or both left and right? Either way it's a bargain considering the alternatives.

Thanks for the heads up!

the Checker site, is PartsAmerica.com......same for advanced auto......but they said at advanced, that they couldn'y get the "part"

It was for a complete, bolt in right in, axle....with TWO new german (Lobro) CV's.....

A great deal, if you can operate an allen wrench....

peace

p.s that was for one complete axle, or axel, if you like GNR
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful. Are those NEW Lobro joints, or rebuilt (reground) joints?

I stay away from rebuilt axles because typically rebuilders regrind worn joints and use new larger ball bearings to bring old joints to life. The newer assemblies typically have inferior machining done to the old races, and the stress created by the slop of old joints can develop cracks and hard spots in the old assemblies, which may or may not be properly inspected depending on the company. If your rebuilt axle has genuine NEW Lobro joints installed on it and you only paid $75ea with exchange, unless their QC or manufacturing processes have declined in quality in the past couple of years, you have gotten a good deal.
Thirstytank
Samba Gaucho

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're new joints, I'd go buy another assembly at that price. Bus Depot gets about $50 each for new lobro's IIRC. And a halfway decent boot is at least $15.

1985 Vanagon Westfalia
https://www.facebook.com/VanagonMorrison
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="steponmebbbboom"]Careful. Are those NEW Lobro joints, or rebuilt (reground) joints?
Quote:

I believe they were new.....the metal parts appeared NEW......

[quote="steponmebbbboom"]I stay away from rebuilt axles because typically rebuilders regrind worn joints and use new larger ball bearings to bring old joints to life. The newer assemblies typically have inferior machining done to the old races, and the stress created by the slop of old joints can develop cracks and hard spots in the old assemblies, which may or may not be properly inspected depending on the company. If your rebuilt axle has genuine NEW Lobro joints installed on it and you only paid $75ea with exchange, unless their QC or manufacturing processes have declined in quality in the past couple of years, you have gotten a good deal.

with that being said.....My Bessie is back on the road........in the middle o' winter......and I do have the "lifetime" waranty...

I wouldn't mind payin' $75 bucks for a rebuilt axle any day of the week......Like I said, the joints appear NEW........

peace

p.s. I had to pull some of the old races from the hub......as they had split up into the wheel hub.,
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: