Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Never post anything bad about CB or this might happen.....
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
serrano
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a poster on Cal-Look,

Sad to see all this bad karma in a small comunity of VW people.I live over in Sweden and have orderd a lot of parts from Serrano with good results. When a person like Jack cuts in and pretends to be snowhite it pisses me of. I will not post any facts but jack knows about his dealings with Swedish customers. I think the whole industry should face up to the obvius facts,itīs all about copying or trying to make the customer think you have a better product coming from the same manufacturer as all the others. When there is a problem with a product wouldnt it be better if the supplier posted a warning instead of letting the market find out afterwards. For me being born in the fifties it just goes to show that a lot of people still havent learned or accepted the enormous power of the internet. It doesnt matter how far away your customers are today,your bad karma will catch up with you faster than you think. I wish for the best for the VW comunity that this thing is resolved so we can focus on more relevant issues like horsepower and 60foot times.
spookymulder
Samba Proletariat

Location: I'm either at 95608, 97537 or 94708 only my CPA knows for sure

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a part is heated to any extreme and left to cool it weakens the metal. Heated steel needs to be anealed to retain its strength. Sounds like fault of the builder to me. What method was used to gauge the temps applied to insure it was not overheated?

Last edited by spookymulder on Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
serrano
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been heating gears since I was 15 yrs old and never have had any problems until lately. I'm sure just about everybody heats them up.
Not red hot, but hot enough to make it easier to install.

I did a search on Google and got this

Date: Sat, Oct 10 1998 12:00 am
Email: John Connolly <[email protected]>
Groups: rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Not yet ratedRating:
show options
Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

heat them to just shy of 300 degrees F. They fall right on.

John

Steve
Serranos
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

serrano wrote:
From a poster on Cal-Look,

Sad to see all this bad karma in a small comunity of VW people.I live over in Sweden and have orderd a lot of parts from Serrano with good results. When a person like Jack cuts in and pretends to be snowhite it pisses me of. I will not post any facts but jack knows about his dealings with Swedish customers. I think the whole industry should face up to the obvius facts,itīs all about copying or trying to make the customer think you have a better product coming from the same manufacturer as all the others. When there is a problem with a product wouldnt it be better if the supplier posted a warning instead of letting the market find out afterwards. For me being born in the fifties it just goes to show that a lot of people still havent learned or accepted the enormous power of the internet. It doesnt matter how far away your customers are today,your bad karma will catch up with you faster than you think. I wish for the best for the VW comunity that this thing is resolved so we can focus on more relevant issues like horsepower and 60foot times.

This isn't helping the "he said, she said," bullshit that this whole topics is beginning to encompass on two forums.

To those who are bellowing over their keyboards that CB knew about the problem and opted to not tell anyone about it or do anything about it, or whatever it is you're claiming, state your proof. That's a side of the story that only CB is really in a position to clarify, not anyone else who's simply reacting in support of a preferred vendor; which I fully understand, as if I had a positive experience with a vendor I would likely be inclined to do.

Steve, what are your thoughts on Marieanne's (I apologize in advance if it's spelled incorrectly) comments?

In all honesty, I think Glenn is right in that this whole issue should have been dealt with between CB and Serranos privately before becoming such a public tirade.
There's a lot of good points being made here by various parties, but the fact is only the two involved factions have any capability of resolving it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spookymulder
Samba Proletariat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if heating to 300 is good heating to 500 is better? Rolling Eyes
serrano
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've known that CB has disliked us for a long time, its no secret.
CB sell's retail and I was cutting into there business to deep.
Such is life, we'll go on and see whats happens next.

As for Mariannes post I really feel its just really Rick telling here what to say.
We've been a CB vendor for over 20 years that I know of and when a company sells direct and wholesale is does cause problems.

Tomorrows GOT to be a better day......

Steve

Last edited by serrano on Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

serrano wrote:
I've known that CB has disliked us for a long time, its no secret.
CB sell's retail and I was cutting into there business to deep.
Such is life, we'll go on and see whats happens next.

Tomorrows got to be a better day......

Steve

No offense, but isn't that kind of like admitting to biting the hand that feeds you? As I recall, that's why EMPI/Mr. Bug quit the retail outlet (Empi Outlet) thing they opened back in late 2001/early 2002, as too many of their dealers were pissed they were selling things cheaper then they were. That's just what I was to understand happened.
Reversed roles, I understand, but a similar concept.
Or perhaps EMPI got tired of constant returns and dealing with customers pissed off at getting shitty parts. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimmy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used a coffee mug warmer to heat cam gears, works great!

check out my classified ads, lots of rare parts/accessories for sale.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, come on Steve. I've given you the benefit of doubt on several occasions and haven't cried wolf. Any time people have a hand in something, there are bound to be mistakes. By going what you said in the Cal look forums, the gear failed before putting the engine together completely. It sucks, yea! but CB has been producing some good stuff too. People in glass houses...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
serrano
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gear did NOT fail before, Phil ran the motor for 20-30 minutes before it let loose.
Once that gear pops you'll know it when your building the motor...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot more than just a bad run of crank gears. There seems to be some money issues and other stuff that isn't publicly know. I can't believe that CB was willing to give up, as steve said $400K in business over a a few bad parts.

Steve, who's crank was it that the gear broke on? Was the crank checked to see that it measured up? Was the crank too big or the gear too small?

I don't know what's going on, but I can tell you this got totally out of hand and is no good for you, for CB, for the Samba and for the Cal Look Forum.

It's too late to take this private and the damage is done to everyone.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
serrano
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume so...But, I didn't built it one of my builders did.
CB 69mm 4140 crank was used. This happen about a year or two ago and CB did a sort of recall on all the gear sets that had a certain type bolt.
Maybe they had changed mfg's? No idea... but it has happened before.

I brought it out of the dark, made it public and got blasted......

As for money, CB has been paid and has not lost any money over me.
We just gave them about 17-18K this week.

Steve
Mr. Motorhead
Mad Scientist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody actually measured anything with any accuracy yet and done a comparison with new factory parts? If you (I mean Steve) have any more of these products on the shelf (cranks and gear sets) would it not be prudent to break them out on the bench and check them with your measureing tools to determine if they are within spec or not (Too small/big?)
Check out the Bonneville project:
http://aircooledresearch.com/docs/thebonnevilleproject.html#

"All limitations are self imposed."
Some Chinese guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That takes time. Time is money.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ace wrote:
That takes time. Time is money.

"... but you always pay for what you get".

Blue printing and engine is time consuming, but in the long run it pays off with less of a chance of a problem down the road.

These days many brand new parts don't spec out and need to be "fixed". It's just a fact of life. When you strive to keep costs down sometimes you get burned.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

Last edited by Glenn on Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
spookymulder
Samba Proletariat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LESS TIME hammering on a computer would allow for MORE TIME to check part tolerances Wink
Ann Mezger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For everyone who is confused about the fact of whether or not the issue is a faulty part that CB knew about or piss poor assembly on Serrano's part to be blamed, if you READ the email from Rick at CB it's VERY CLEAR that CB admits & is fully aware of the problem with faulty parts. They just didn't want the general public to know about it, which IMO is very wrong. People have the right to know about products whether they are good or bad. If a company is soooooo worried about their reputation, maybe they should produce / sell better quality products. Get rid of the junk & everybody will be happy! Very Happy Here's a quote of the email so you guys can quit bickering about it. Twisted Evil
flatair wrote:

> From: "Rick Tomlinson"
> To: "Steven Houston" <
> Subject: Re: Serranos
> Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 11:08:38 -0800
>
> Steve,
> I wasn't here yesterday and just now got to My office after 2 hours of
> hearing about everything else that happened while I was gone yesterday.
> Here's My reason for wanting money sent before We ship to you.
> For some reason when We ship to you COD,something always delays the
> package from getting there or ever getting there like the truck shipment
> that disappeared an hour before it was to be delivered to you.
> The last order was sent out and you had UPS hold it until you had enough
> money to have them deliver it to you. For every delivery attempt it costs
> us money and prolongs us from getting paid.
> I'm not aware of an order from Alex at this time,but don't think is a
> good idea having stuff sent to Him us knowing that it is for you anyway.
> Now you are trying to cause trouble by posting the straight cut gear
> problem on the forums.
Is this your way of getting even with Me or what?
> Steve,CB is a stand up company and always takes care of it's customers,was
> posting that really a business like thing to do? At this time I think it
> better that CB and Serranos part ways,not just over the Straight Cut Gear
> issue, I just think it would be better for both of us. The company that
> makes the Straight Cut Gear sets is a good company so if you send Me all
> the documents along with all the broken parts,I'm sure they will do
> something for you.
Sorry for any trouble this may have caused.
> Thanks for the business you gave us in the past and I wish you good luck
> with your business in the future.
> Best Regards
> Rick Tomlinson
> ps, You were told to return any of the gear sets in question,but we never
> recieved any from you. I guess you went ahead and built engines with them
> anyway huh?
>>
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Motorhead
Mad Scientist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
People have the right to know about products whether they are good or bad. If a company is soooooo worried about their reputation, maybe they should produce / sell better quality products. Get rid of the junk & everybody will be happy

A number one reason why customer input is so important.Finding out the how and why a part failed so the manufacturer can be informed.The problem with that is how many people in this market (VWs) REALLY know their parts.......not many that I can count.How many places that sell parts will go the extra it takes to de-bug these goods currently available? As stated before "time is money".If you have to spend X amount of time "fixing" a product for sale to the general public,it has to cost a little more,right?But how can it cost more if the selling price is below WD priceing to begin with? Where is the profitability (AND the motivation to sell a superior product)?

No one reading this thread should take any sides.....I sure won't.Don't let your emotions kick in.It's like a big lumbering iceberg.......the general public is only seeing what is above the water.

Back to the question posed earlier.If you have some of the "bad" parts on your shelf,measure them up and tell us WHY they are bad (too big/small/inferior material).Is it ALL of these parts,or just some.Unless these parts were made in someones back yard,there has to be a way to identify the lot that was produced (paint dot/dot matrix print/stamp).

Who cares who knew about what/when.That's not what this should be about.Bad products that have to be worked over are coming from more than just one source.I hate to say it Steve,but rather than send your loyal customers on an easter egg hunt,you really need to point them in the right direction and tell them where to look for any problems.
Check out the Bonneville project:
http://aircooledresearch.com/docs/thebonnevilleproject.html#

"All limitations are self imposed."
Some Chinese guy
bugracer99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of bad products from C.B., have any of you ever tried the 3 wire air/fuel ratio meters CB was selling a couple of years ago? Not only were the instructions TOTALY wrong but when I called to ask for help the BOZO on the phone actually laughed at me! $125 or more down the drain (never did get the thing to work) & a Jerk on the phone. THANKS CB..................!?! :fist:

Tom V
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugracer99 wrote:
Speaking of bad products from C.B., have any of you ever tried the 3 wire air/fuel ratio meters CB was selling a couple of years ago? Not only were the instructions TOTALY wrong but when I called to ask for help the BOZO on the phone actually laughed at me! $125 or more down the drain (never did get the thing to work) & a Jerk on the phone. THANKS CB..................!?! :fist:

Tom V

if it is the same one i have it is nothing but a westach guage...cb didn't manufacture it....the three wire O2 sensor in my "kit" was short lived...cheap maybe, don't know....

GEX has. Just sayin
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: