Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turbo/EFI on a budget **NOVEMBER UPDATE!!!!**
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: UPDATED: OCT 15TH!!!! Reply with quote

Got some long overdue updates for you guys who are following the story. EFI/Turbo on a budget rolls onwards at a slow pace, due to having to work overtime constantly, but despite this, I have managed to get the turbo manifold to the point where it's almost done. All it needs is some touch up work on some of the welds, and some high temp paint (maybe ceramic). Very Happy

Also, I went ahead and started fabbing some of the fuel lines. -6AN lines and all the fittings to put it together cost almost $300 Shocked , so if you're on a budget, stay away! If you can't afford the nice stainless stuff, just get the rubber stuff, and make sure it's rated for fuel injection systems (~100psi range).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can also see the intake; I fabbed it from a single 180*, 1-5/8" OD U-bend, a sheet of 22 guage mild steel, and a piece of 1/4" plate to mount the TB onto. Basically, I just cut the U-bend in half, sectioned it, and welded the 2 pieces together. Then, I measured the circumference of the intake, and the circumference of the TB, and cut a piece of the sheet steel that when wrapped into a tube, came out to the right size at both ends. After welding the tube to the intake, I cut a piece of the 1/4" stuff, and made the plate for the TB. This was the hardest part, as I only have a scroll saw (anyone got a cheap plasma cutter for sale? Razz ).
Now all it needs is paint (possibly powder coating, if I have any money left over...)

Pretty soon, I'll be able to hack up the floor, and put the engine in, till then, I'm moving on to wiring, and getting a good harness made up.

Cheers till next update! Wink

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwdmc16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, now i can really see how it will come together.

id rather keep the doghouse cooler in its place but that works too.

'72 Ghia: http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n146/vwdmc17/100_1964.jpg
'72 Honda Z600
'81 Delorean

www.EVILGENIUSRACING.com
Filipe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a question...
You will have to cut the "wall" behind the engine, right?!
The turbo header will be inside the car!!! Between the engine and the back seat...is it?!
And about the intercooler and oil cooler?! Any pic?!

Thanks,
Filipe Aguiar
Dan10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a AJ SIMMS turbo kit and im looking into fuel injection. I was wondering if you have to be a blow thru system or can i just make it work with my draw thru. Just bolt a throttle body right on to the turbo and ad the CB's end castings and the megasquirt.
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filipe wrote:
Only a question...
You will have to cut the "wall" behind the engine, right?!
The turbo header will be inside the car!!! Between the engine and the back seat...is it?!
And about the intercooler and oil cooler?! Any pic?!

Thanks,
Filipe Aguiar

The header and turbo will 'pop' up from the floor behind where the seat normally would be. I will fab a new enclosure to house it all, basically just raise the entire area up a foot or two.
No pics of the oil cooler or intercooler yet, the engine is not yet in the car...patience!

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan10 wrote:
I have a AJ SIMMS turbo kit and im looking into fuel injection. I was wondering if you have to be a blow thru system or can i just make it work with my draw thru. Just bolt a throttle body right on to the turbo and ad the CB's end castings and the megasquirt.

It could be done either way, but I like multipoint better than the idea of a TBI draw thru style setup. If you go MPFI, you can mount the throttle before the turbo draw through style, or between the turbo and intake. I like having a BOV, so my throttle is between the turbo and intake. Smile

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

Welcome to the Samba.
bpritchert87
The Idea Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

might be a stupid question but can a person just use the end castings for the only Fuel injection point????

The Intelligence of a Man should not be measured by his age....

check out my sand rover t bug build! http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287204
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpritchert87 wrote:
might be a stupid question but can a person just use the end castings for the only Fuel injection point????

Um, not sure what you mean??

If you mean just use the end castings I used for EFI as seen in the pics, than the answer is yes, that's the idea.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

Welcome to the Samba.
66 Käfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an observation/question, why don't you keep the intake on the front side of the shroud, like factory, that way you can still run a dog-house cooler.
Having it in the back of the shroud is neat because ll the clutter is out of the way but I'm just wondering what your reasons are.
Nice work!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniman82 wrote:

Next, a mockup of the engine. I decided to run the TB and turbo stuff behind the shroud, so I can close the decklid, and also so nobody can see what I have under there even if they looked. Twisted Evil
The header and turbo will be hidden behind the firewall, the only visable parts will be the injectors and intakes.

his reasoning was in his first post Wink

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:
Hey It is The Samba where well thought out rational answers can take a while and getting side tracked is normal. I was just lucky this time. Smile

cr@M wrote:

No one has any personal responsibility these days. This country is sue happy. Intelligence is no longer a requirement, just an accessory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66 Käfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I forgot about that...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwdmc16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniman82 wrote:
Dan10 wrote:

It could be done either way, but I like multipoint better than the idea of a TBI draw thru style setup. If you go MPFI, you can mount the throttle before the turbo draw through style, or between the turbo and intake. I like having a BOV, so my throttle is between the turbo and intake. Smile

and the turbo wont need to be carbon sealed, saves some money and adds some throttle response

'72 Ghia: http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n146/vwdmc17/100_1964.jpg
'72 Honda Z600
'81 Delorean

www.EVILGENIUSRACING.com
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwdmc16 wrote:
miniman82 wrote:
Dan10 wrote:

and the turbo wont need to be carbon sealed, saves some money and adds some throttle response

Right! Saving money is always a good thing.

Kinda off topic, but it's my thread, so here goes!
I found a T-3 turbo in the junkyard that came from a Chrysler, and when I was removing it, I noticed that the throttle was mounted upstream of the turbo...hmmmm...I wonder if it's carbon sealed? I searched the web, but no one seems to know. It's strange they would do it that way, because it's a multipoint engine, not TBI. All the other Chrysler turbo cars I've seen were rigged up in the normal way, with the throttle downstream of the turbo. Anyone know???

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

Welcome to the Samba.
Filipe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listens, miniman...
Is it the type of combustion chamber that u will use?!

A.J. said to me that it's so nice for turbo aplications... for about 75cc Shocked

[]'s
Migit
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you just cut out the package tray completely and reverse it? We had to do that for a 911 conversion a few years back. I'll look for some pics.
MSG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that Chrysler turbo had the T/B in front of the turbo kinda a draw-thru set up and has a 3 bolt flange that bolts on to the compressor housing then it does have a carbon seal in it.

It came from the early turbo1 models I think. Same style I run on mine.

[url][/url]
koolkarmakombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My God! That is a bathtub!

Who made those up?

Filipe wrote:
Listens, miniman...

A.J. said to me that it's so nice for turbo aplications... for about 75cc Shocked

[]'s
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filipe wrote:
Listens, miniman...

[]'s

Oi, Fillipe!

That is the biggest combustion chamber I've ever seen! Mine are CB 044 Magnum's, with 42X37.5 valves, and the chamber is 65cc. Combined with a .040" copperhead gasket, and flushed pistons, I get somewhere around 7.6:1 compression. It could be done like in the picture as well, just without the copperhead.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

Welcome to the Samba.
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSG wrote:
If that Chrysler turbo had the T/B in front of the turbo kinda a draw-thru set up and has a 3 bolt flange that bolts on to the compressor housing then it does have a carbon seal in it.

It came from the early turbo1 models I think. Same style I run on mine.

[url][/url]

Sweet, I was hoping it did! Cool I have the same one in your pic.
Can you point me to where you found this information? I'm sure it has the seal, I just need a referance so I can give advice to other people.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

Welcome to the Samba.
Filipe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniman82 wrote:
Filipe wrote:
Listens, miniman...

[]'s

Oi, Fillipe!

That is the biggest combustion chamber I've ever seen! Mine are CB 044 Magnum's, with 42X37.5 valves, and the chamber is 65cc. Combined with a .040" copperhead gasket, and flushed pistons, I get somewhere around 7.6:1 compression. It could be done like in the picture as well, just without the copperhead.

Lol! You said "Oi"!!!
Are you brazilian?! hehehe
So...did you use the heads w/o modifications?! Or u made a new chamber, intake ports...did you so any work in your heads?! I guess you used it as "plug and play", right?!
I'm thinking about build a 2.1L or 2.3L T EFI engine and wanna know all about turbo heads!
Ty!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 19

Jump to: