Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baja Bug Wiring Diagram Uploaded
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sport
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Baja Bug Wiring Diagram Uploaded Reply with quote

Following are the links (at the bottom of the message) to a wiring diagram I made for my '73 Baja bug. We stripped all the wires out of the car, and re-did it as shown in the diagram. I found the trickiest part was making the harness that goes from the dash-board area to the rear. We used aluminum electrical conduit to protect the wires.
I highlighted on the diagram all of the wires that need to go through the conduit, and then ran a couple spares just for good measure.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We still have some zip-tying to do, and will put a dust-guard in front of the wiring to protect it from the elements.

I may add a dual-speed wiper switch some day, but the rest seems to be an OK setup for a Baja Bug. I put a connector on the rear cage so it could be easily removed while the lights are attached. I think a terminal-block in the engine area would have been a nice touch. Currently I have all of the wires run directly to the engine components and senders.

To minimize and ground noise in the chassis, we ran 10AWG ground wires from the battery to the engine, tranny, and front body. Hopefully the radio and intercom (when installed) will be clear and quiet.

I wish I'd used a few more different colors of wires. It would make tracing them easier, but I did pre-print wire labels on Avery stick-ons, and put them on each end of the wires that went through the car. This was a BIG help.

There was not good consensus on the right wire gauge to use. I looked at different after-market harnesses and the OEM wiring, and choose gauges I think should be fine. Electronics is my business, but feel free to increase them as you see fit. If you use smaller gauge wire, they will be more prone to breaking, and in some areas like charging and lighting, you may run into problems if you go much smaller.
There are two type of wire commonly available for automotive use. I see both sold in the auto shops and stores. The UL1015 type wire is rated at 105 degrees C. It would be the preferred choice for this project, but the UL1007 type wire is much more commonly available, and rated to 85 degrees C. I swore I’d use all UL1015, but in the end, a fair amount of 1007 type worked its way in.
Remember, when doing this type of wiring job. TAKE A LOT OF NOTES. Write down every wire color and connection you make, because when it doesn’t work, it is 10X easier to figure out if you have a matching diagram.
I hope this helps!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/325879.gif
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/325878.gif
RealAwesomeNinja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

might as well just add the diagrams to the sticky, they look pretty clean.
CopperBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool!
Great job! Applause

Question: What is that about the word "engine" ?

Makes me a bit embarassed....been over a year on my build. Embarassed Crying or Very sad
72BajaBen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty nice. alot nicer than mine. lol great job
Baja Ben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CopperBaja wrote:
Very cool!
Great job! Applause

Question: What is that about the word "engine" ?

Makes me a bit embarassed....been over a year on my build. Embarassed Crying or Very sad

Its a light
Ben
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rickosuave1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey sport, what kind of gauges are you using. I just installed some autometer gauges and EACH gauge had 5 wires Shocked . I wish i could make it look as clean as yours but theres just WAY too many wires Crying or Very sad

edit for another question..What did you use to draw the diagram. I am an autocad drafter for an electical engineering company so I always wonder what other people use.

Last edited by rickosuave1987 on Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CopperBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baja Ben wrote:
Its a lightBen

Haha! Just a coincidence that it's also yellow, I guess. Laughing
72BajaBen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what did you use to draw this diagram?
CopperBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

72BajaBen wrote:
what did you use to draw this diagram?

Looks like Autocad or maybe Visio???
72BajaBen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visio...man that would be a tuffy. i hate that program. maybe cause i had to make 23 building diagrams with it for work.
sport
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a schematic-draw package called "OrCAD". It's a common program used for circuit diagrams. If anyone wants the source file, PM me, and I'll email it to you.
OrCAD can export to .DXF format for AutoCAD, but I have not tried opening and OrCAD exported file in AutoCAD to see if it is usable. I wills ay, it is very nice having it on the computer, and modifying it as the project progresses.
I used the VDO guages, and yes, they do have 5 connections. Two are for the light bulb (shown as backlite bulbs on the diagram), one is sendor, one is +12V, and one is GND. I forgot the GND terminal on the diagram. oops.

The arrows and "Engine" word in th ephoto just point out where I ran the conduit to the battery and to the Engine area.

It's not as clean of a wiring as I'd like, but it is OK. I had a 13YO son help, and it is more important to let him help than it is to get everything lined up just right.
The key to clean wiring is to: A) Plan where the bulk of the wires will run and try to keep them together in a harness B)Cut the wires after you know exactally where the go and where they will enter/exit the harness. The military electronics electronic wiring folks are amazing at this task. Take apart anything wired for military use, and the harness is a work of art. I wish I could do 1/2 the job they do.
westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...........looks good Sport. Keep the pics coming.

Support our troops. Not all injuries are visible ones.
sport
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skinz,
The original diagrams somehow have been removed from the glalery. Here they are again. Feel free the PM me with your email addreass and I'll email the full diagram.
Sport

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/362486.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/362485.jpg
chucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know this thread is about wiring digrams, but i was reading and i noticed Real Awesome ninga had a link called the ultimate power
Dude this is to cool check it out, only if you like ningas
http://www.realultimatepower.net/
funny stuff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: