Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

man, I am just slamming the forum today. I need help from the sportsmobile owners. does anyone have one of these stetups in their bus? the metal shelving on the side looks like it was made by the same company as my SMB bar/cupboard.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

my bar/cabinet

TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:

Alman - oops, answered your PM like a month ago, then spaced off actually posting it... Here ya go: That is (one of the many styles of) an original SM cabinet. Missing veneer and the top isn't original, but that bad boy is made to have your bar cabinet sitting on it! Another very cool find!

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

how did I miss this?? have a pic of what the front of the shelving has covering it? is it just open?
also, I have a line on a genuine sportsmobile tent. pm me
edit- cant let this nugget go undocumented

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

none of you SMB folk ever come round here no more, but I thought I would give this heads up. A side tent for a sportsmobile on cl
https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/pts/5878014331.html
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

That's awesome! But ouch on the price..
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

he HAS to come down, or he will have it forever. I got mine for 100. Notchboy got his for maybe 250 I think. It is not a circus tent.
birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

Just dug it out of the Brewery after about 4 years without sunlight. Time to get to work on it.

I Got Your Jeep Thing! Now It Hurts When I pee.

Cigarettes are like squirrels, they are both harmless until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sage79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

Back to the safety chain referenced on page 8 of this thread. Mine leaked under the washer and dripped off the bolt so I removed it and taped over the hole temporarily. I'm tempted to keep it off and permanently seal the hole. Does anyone think that chain would hold the top down if the main latches failed for some reason? It seems to me that even that big washer would just break through the fiberglass. Plus, the main latches are pretty secure.

I think the reason for the leak is that they mounted the bolt at an "Up" rib so it compresses the flexible roof sandwich and the caulking eventually failed. Unlike the location of the other hardware which are at "down" ribs nice and tight.
'77 delux 2.0FI 090Auto - now my son's
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

when I got my SMB, I replaced every bolt on the top. and was not stingy with the silicone. no problems yet. And the clip does keep the top on at city speeds, cause I forgot to clip my shit one time. The top lifted up and came right back down. It was the noise of the wind and the thump that told me.
Sage79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

OK then. Good to know, maybe I will replace with some nice stainless and marine caulk. Thanks.
'77 delux 2.0FI 090Auto - now my son's
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

birddog1148 wrote:

So, about that white top, inside.

It seems that from this photo, someone attempted to paint it white after the original white vinyl (?) covering came off. That's one solution.

My white vinyl has mostly come off from all the interior surfaces, and I am trying to think how to make a suitable repair.

Has anyone successfully replaced this, and with what, and how long did it last?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
when I got my SMB, I replaced every bolt on the top. and was not stingy with the silicone. no problems yet. And the clip does keep the top on at city speeds, cause I forgot to clip my shit one time. The top lifted up and came right back down. It was the noise of the wind and the thump that told me.

Yep I also "accidentally" tested my safety once... I was only driving across a cornfield, but it held the top, and reminded me to stop and clip the sides in...
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:

My white vinyl has mostly come off from all the interior surfaces, and I am trying to think how to make a suitable repair.

Has anyone successfully replaced this, and with what, and how long did it last?

I peeled my weird white textured papery vinyl stuff off and spray glued this paper to the boards...

However I also just pulled some funky ass OG Sportsmobile shag out of a junkyard that washed up really well after about 20 cycles through the wash, so that will soon be covering the panels above the windows Cool
DougClink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

Hello Sportsmobiler's
My wife and I spent nearly 5 hours uncovering and unburying a penthouse equipped Sports Mobile. It is a 1970 lotus white purchased from the second owner. It last saw daylight in 1981. I'm thinking I may call Barney, as it was truly a barn fine. I didn't realize that it had five lug rims, and I didn't want to trust the 30 or 40 year old tires. So unfortunately I was not able to bring it home just yet. Wednesday is the planned big day.
I documented everything with photos and video as wall as a time lapse of moving the pile of *stuff in front of it. I plan to make a video and post it on my FB page, https://www.facebook.com/air.cooled.preservation.society If anyone is interested.
I still don't know all of what I have got. Sadly it is a Michigan bus with some rust repair that will need doing. But, it has a few options such as a chemical toilet, a gas heater in the engine compartment and all the raccoon poop you will ever need.
I am super happy to be joining the Sportsmobile community. Photos to follow.

1957 Sunroof Beetle • 1964 Beetle • 1958 Westfalia Subhatch • 1955 Baja Bus • 1970 Sportsmobile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

Welcome to the cool kids club! Can't wait to see it
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

also a SMB Michigan guy here. Cant wait to see it! a lot of the sportsmobile folk are freaks about items from SMB, so before pitching anything, post pics!
westysmb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

Hey Sportsmobile folks!

I'm going to be refinishing the top and sewing my own canvas since the canvas and pieces to hold it down are completely missing. I have a 1970 Westy, but with a later sportsmobile top (mechanism inside) on it.

What seal is everyone using and who have you bought it from? I'm going to have to replace mine and there seems to be a ton of different options available. The one I'm replacing has a bulb at the bottom of the U-channel.

How necessary are the rivets that hold the seal on to the top? Quite a few of my rivets are already missing. Could I remove the remaining rivets, seal the holes, and use something like 3M weatherstrip adhesive to attach the seal?

How is the canvas and wood mounted to the fiberglass top?

What are the sizes of the wood used to hold the canvas on the top and bottom? I found a post with pictures and dimensions a while back, but can't find it now. I know they're thinner slats, but I don't recall exactly.

Thanks!
Mario
DougClink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

Hello, I am looking to have my top redone. Is there anyone else interested in having one made?

1957 Sunroof Beetle • 1964 Beetle • 1958 Westfalia Subhatch • 1955 Baja Bus • 1970 Sportsmobile
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

DougClink wrote:
Hello, I am looking to have my top redone. Is there anyone else interested in having one made?

sorry this one got by me. hope I can still help. read these, nice and short
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=663796&highlight=sportsmobile+canvas
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=651308&highlight=sportsmobile+canvas
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660424&highlight=sportsmobile+canvas
DougClink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks! This is great?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 17

Jump to: