Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougClink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

Does anyone have a sports Mobile latter? I’d like to build one but need dimensions sizes, etc.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1530037

1957 Sunroof Beetle • 1964 Beetle • 1958 Westfalia Subhatch • 1955 Baja Bus • 1970 Sportsmobile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

DougClink wrote:
Does anyone have a sports Mobile latter? I’d like to build one but need dimensions sizes, etc.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1530037

That's my picture, and my ladder! As far as I know, it's the only surviving original Sportsmobile ladder out there, as I've done tons of research and haven't been able to find another example. I can certainly measure it for you. Or I would also be willing to sell it for the right price.. it's a super cool piece, but it's just sitting up in my attic.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! Reply with quote

westysmb wrote:
<snip>
What seal is everyone using and who have you bought it from? I'm going to have to replace mine and there seems to be a ton of different options available. The one I'm replacing has a bulb at the bottom of the U-channel.
<snip>

I just finished replacing my old seal. I busted off the old pop rivets and tore off the crusty, hardened seal that may have been original. I had to refinish some of the paint that it had worn through.

The replacement seal went on easily and looks great. I got 28 ft of this from Bus Depot. Might have gotten away with 24 ft:
http://www.busdepot.com/231070100
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

I found a great vintage RV ladder at the habitat for humanity restore last year. It was made right down the road from SMB. my overall length is 67 inches, and I asked via pm about Tweeds ladder, and he wrote"Just metal is 62 1/8ish
Overall with plastic foot and hook is 64ish
And the legs and rings are all 4 inches around" so I don't think mine is authentic, unless the length changed over the years. still close enough for me, and it leaves room to sneak under the ladder to the bed when it is down.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

[quote="alman72"]I found a great vintage RV ladder at the habitat for humanity restore last year. It was made right down the road from SMB. my overall length is 67 inches, and I asked via pm about Tweeds ladder, and he wrote"Just metal is 62 1/8ish
Overall with plastic foot and hook is 64ish
And the legs and rings are all 4 inches around" so I don't think mine is authentic, unless the length changed over the years. still close enough for me, and it leaves room to sneak under the ladder to the bed when it is down.

Or maybe yours is authentic and mines not.. never know I guess! Mine just fits too good to not be it seems like, plus finding it in one..

Yours looks great though!
gator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobile Volkswagen '82 Reply with quote

gator wrote:

Checklist from 1982 does not offer a ladder. Maybe an earlier deal. Otherwise just another rv\swimming pool part.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

maybe it is just a pool/rv ladder in 82, but in 72 it was a SMB ladder!
gator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

I forgot about that picture. Ladder option must have been omitted over the years. According to the po of my bus, when he took the bus to sports mobile in 1985 all they offered for our busses was the top\upper bunk and a headbanger.

Thanks.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

FWIW, Sportsmobile still includes a ladder if you get the penthouse.

I wonder if it would fit a VW...
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

looking over the literature, a couple of different 3000 btu catalytic heaters were offered with the SMB. Those accessories have to be even rarer. If someone was lucky enough to find one in their barn find bus, they would think it was a PO leftover.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

I just dropped this in another thread about a Riv top onto a tintop, and I have a SMB related question at the end.
just thought I would drop my idea down here. My 17 yo boy and I are working on a 79 tintop, and we already have a 73 sportsmobile, very similar in the straight up popping department. The kid really likes the sleeping area up top, and wants to make his bus like mine. I suggested that he may regret cutting a big hole in the roof. We are pondering the idea of installing the SMB top WITHOUT cutting a hole. we would flip the canvas around so that the luggage access zipper is in the rear rather than the front, and he could climb a ladder (either a drip rail 70's special, or a rv upper bunk ladder from the outside rear of the bus. We WOULD however need to come up with a remote or wired popping mech. It could double duty as latching, or have a exterior latching mech. We like this idea, as it gives extra sleeping area in the bus (he already has a Z product hinge under his factory bench, so I think he really does not need the uptop space) without a lot of damage to the bus if he wants to go back to tintop. just a couple of boltholes to fill.

OK smb people, who has had a look at the bottom side of the bolts that attach the top to the bus, under the headliner? Captive nuts? just threads cut into the roof? I can cut a hole in the headliner of a junkyard smb when the weather gets better, but just wanted to check with the other owners. (at least the other two guys who read/post on here. You know who you are) Any potential issues you see with our idea?
gator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

Jeremyrockjock put linear actuators in place of the springs on his sportsmobile, with a switch. He had a build thread, I believe.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2157444
wow! a cross collectable! a champagne sportsmobile!
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2157444
wow! a cross collectable! a champagne sportsmobile!

That's a country homes camper. Same top, different cabinetry.. Definitely a country homes cabinet

And I'd take it Smile
DougClink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

Looks like it may have had a tough life.

1957 Sunroof Beetle • 1964 Beetle • 1958 Westfalia Subhatch • 1955 Baja Bus • 1970 Sportsmobile
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

yup. a CHC. I just got exited when I saw the penthouse.
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

I see nothing wrong with getting excited when you see a penthouse...!
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

I've been working on this wonderful 1972 Sportsmobile for a few years, now, but my wife and I have decided to get a newer Sprinter 4x4 Sportsmobile. So good old Ann the Van (http://vw.tauxe.net/ann) needs to find a new home. I know we are not supposed to advertise on the forums, but I thought that since there is so much specific interest in Sportsmobiles here, that it is almost a public service to announce when a new one becomes available. Smile

Thanks to alman72 for helping so source some hard-to-find parts, like the black window trim and water tank!
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
I've been working on this wonderful 1972 Sportsmobile for a few years, now, but my wife and I have decided to get a newer Sprinter 4x4 Sportsmobile. So good old Ann the Van (http://vw.tauxe.net/ann) needs to find a new home. I know we are not supposed to advertise on the forums, but I thought that since there is so much specific interest in Sportsmobiles here, that it is almost a public service to announce when a new one becomes available. Smile

Thanks to alman72 for helping so source some hard-to-find parts, like the black window trim and water tank!

You wouldn't accept payment of things like a first born would you..?

And when am I going to find that top and bottom window trim?!
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

TweedLinn wrote:
jtauxe wrote:

You wouldn't accept payment of things like a first born would you..?

And when am I going to find that top and bottom window trim?!

I did not send you some trim? I sent it to a couple of UNITE! folks. PM me in a week or two, when the garage opens up for spring, and I will go thru my stash and see what I have left. They are OG, overspray here and there, maybe even a chip or two. do you need all around both windows, or just a select few?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 17

Jump to: