Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

Thinking of converting my tintop to a sportsmobile but need some measurements.

How high off of the roof does the front and rear sit?
Does the smooth top version have a lower profile than the later ribbed style or are they both the same height?

My built in 1920 garage, and doors plus the steep approach angle I must enter at is my reason for figuring out these measurements vs the standard stated heights so i can make a cardboard mock up and see if it hits and if so what can i do to my garage or bus to make it work that's not to drastic, i.e lowering or new taller doors.

Thank you in advance!
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

Turbod16v wrote:
Thinking of converting my tintop to a sportsmobile but need some measurements.

How high off of the roof does the front and rear sit?
Does the smooth top version have a lower profile than the later ribbed style or are they both the same height?

My built in 1920 garage, and doors plus the steep approach angle I must enter at is my reason for figuring out these measurements vs the standard stated heights so i can make a cardboard mock up and see if it hits and if so what can i do to my garage or bus to make it work that's not to drastic, i.e lowering or new taller doors.

Thank you in advance!

my 73 with the later top needs almost every inch of the 7 ft overhead door. I need to use a piece of wood to make the garage door tuck up and in, because if it hangs 2 inches into the opening, it wont fit. don't ask how I know
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
my 73 with the later top needs almost every inch of the 7 ft overhead door. I need to use a piece of wood to make the garage door tuck up and in, because if it hangs 2 inches into the opening, it wont fit. don't ask how I know

Would to you mind taking a tape measure and getting the front height from roof of bus to top of ..top and rear height?
Would be greatly appreciated

Got a lead on the later style but 3 hour drive.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

later today I can, but with Hankook tires and stock stance, with a late smb roof, 6foot 10 is damn close.
I realize you are asking for roof only in your post. that's what I will get tonight.
edit- the measurements are of the tallest part of the top, the center rib/ridge. On the front, I came back 32 inches from the front of the drip rail, then over to the center of the bus. roof to top of penthouse is 5.75 inches
For the rear of the bus, I came off the top of the drip rail, as the penthouse leaves no roof exposed to measure off of. it is 12.5 inches.
edit 2....what is your garage door opening?
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
later today I can, but with Hankook tires and stock stance, with a late smb roof, 6foot 10 is damn close.
I realize you are asking for roof only in your post. that's what I will get tonight.
edit- the measurements are of the tallest part of the top, the center rib/ridge. On the front, I came back 32 inches from the front of the drip rail, then over to the center of the bus. roof to top of penthouse is 5.75 inches
For the rear of the bus, I came off the top of the drip rail, as the penthouse leaves no roof exposed to measure off of. it is 12.5 inches.
edit 2....what is your garage door opening?

thank you very much! well my garage door is only 6'10" and that's by compressing the weather seal!
at 5.75" it just is not going to fit as the garage lift bar sits 4.5" off of the roof, as represented by the floating yellow turd in pic.
the spring bar and actual door are about 6.25" off of roof.

i have a screw drive garage door opener and it is already tight against the roof truss.

wander if the smooth top version is shorter.?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

flcollins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

Quick question....

Working on replacing popup tent. Ordering it later today.

My question is about the popup seal on the penthouse. What seal has anyone used as a replacement? I ordered a sample of this one https://www.busdepot.com/231070100 , but it wasn't the correct shape. Any help would be great.

Thanks
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

Sportsmobile still sells them

flcollins wrote:
Quick question....

My question is about the popup seal on the penthouse. What seal has anyone used as a replacement? I ordered a sample of this one https://www.busdepot.com/231070100 , but it wasn't the correct shape. Any help would be great.

Thanks

flcollins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

Found it on Sportsmobile's site, but $195??? That is half the cost of the new tent.
https://www.sportsmobilestore.com/penthouse-top-rubber-gasket-kit/

Anyone have any other ideas? Or is this all there is and just buy it?

TweedLinn wrote:

flcollins wrote:
Quick question....

Thanks
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

Yep extremely overpriced for what it is, but it's correct, if that's your thing. If not, garage door seals are extremely close, and more than good enough for me!

flcollins wrote:
Found it on Sportsmobile's site, but $195??? That is half the cost of the new tent.
https://www.sportsmobilestore.com/penthouse-top-rubber-gasket-kit/

Anyone have any other ideas? Or is this all there is and just buy it?

TweedLinn wrote:

flcollins wrote:
Quick question....

Thanks

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

a survivor. he even has the tire cover
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/561799364462914/
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

fresh in the classifieds

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2404765

Quote:
** Detail updates**

Beautiful 1976 Sportsmobile with older restoration. 1970cc Fuel Injected.

This is a great bus at a great price!!!

It was rescued last year from the garage it'd been kept in for 12 yrs!

Comes with a very rare and unusual Canyon Brown Leatherette interior Sportsmobile conversion. Sink, fridge and Sportsmobile logo cabinet. (see in pics)

The good:
-- Very nice older restoration w/ the original Chrome Yellow/ Marino Yellow L20A paint. There are some scratches and rubs but overall nice paint.
-- New battery
-- New starter
-- New Fuel lines
-- New Vaccuum lines
-- New plugs
-- New plug wires
-- New coil
-- New cap/rotor
-- Canvas is in really good usable shape
-- newer Hankook tires with hardly any miles
-- Comes with some extra parts

The bad:
-- Passenger heater box needs replaced or welded before muffler flange as its an open leak.
-- Rear drums need to be knocked loose (will be loose before showing)
-- Engine starts and runs but doesn't idle well. (EDM light is on). Owner not super VW familiar so likely minor issue.

Can be viewed by appointment. Located in Sylvania (Toledo area) Ohio

$11,750 OBO -- Motivated seller

Quote:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigjake0711
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

I recently purchased a Sportsmobile top to convert my 71 tin top. I took a road trip to get a Westy top to convert and ended up with a Sportsmobile top instead. I've been doing some fiberglass repair and paint to it. Its going to be VERY close to fitting in the garage after this. I may have to do some modifications to the garage.

I'm also having trouble finding a canvas that will fit it properly.

[/img]
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

Big Jake

That's what I'd like to do to my 71. I have access to a later ridge top like the one you got but have not pulled the trigger cause garage fitment.
Please pot MANY updates on your progress!
bigjake0711
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

Got the Sportsmobile top on! I was really nervous until I made the first cut and then it was getting better every step of the way. I still have to figure out how I'm going to build the bed platform and trim out the hole in the roof.

I had to cut the bolts on top flush with the lock nuts to get it in the garage. I also had to adjust the curved arm all the way up and then cut the excess off so that it wouldn't hit, but she gets to sleep inside at night still.

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

I have the base of a 1974 Westfalia bed that would probably fit in there. Let me know if you are interested.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

Big Jake

What's the specs on your garage door.

My limiter is the armature for the power opener.
It hangs down about 3" lower than any other point on the door when open.

From the floor to lowest point of garage door you got to drive under what's your measurement.?
bigjake0711
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

I had to cut and re-drill a hole in the armature on the door attachment to get it to ride as close to the garage door as possible.
I also adjusted the armature all the way up the adjustable side and cut the excess off the bottom.
Then I had to reset the door opener so the door would fully close.
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

bigjake0711 wrote:
I had to cut and re-drill a hole in the armature on the door attachment to get it to ride as close to the garage door as possible.
I also adjusted the armature all the way up the adjustable side and cut the excess off the bottom.
Then I had to reset the door opener so the door would fully close.

I'm going to make cardboard mock up for the height and see how it does.

If I have to I'll just disconnect the power door for now.
bigjake0711
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking. I just went for it know that I could make it fit, even if I had to lift the door by hand each time, it was worth it to me.

But I ended up making it work anyways.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

this anyone here's? spotted it on a wall paper site

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: