Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator/pulley/nut options
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Alternator/pulley/nut options Reply with quote

I have a dual port Bug engine in my Bus, but this probably doesn't affect my question.

I am not a fan of the chrome pulleys and nuts that seem popular, and are on my engine currently. Bearings were replaced after noticing marks on the alt body from a rubbing pulley.

I am thinking of replacing my alternator (noise issue), and I am not sure what my best options are.
- Are higher output options as reliable? Do they require a different stand or pulley? PO installed big stereo, so a larger output may be wise. I may add a second battery later, too.
- Are the chrome pulleys/nuts different sizes? They all seem to use an acorn nut and not a regular VW style nut.

Opinions and experiences to share?

Last edited by KTPhil on Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator/pulley/but options Reply with quote

I've run the gambit with after market pullies on my 71 camper. I ended up going back to the stock set up. Most after market pully kits are aluminum and my motor would hog out the keyways on both pullies. I tried serpentine belt kits and hi-po set ups but they all would fail and I would have to check to see if the pullies were loosening up constantly. Not worth the hassle to me. I went back to all stock components. It's been trouble free ever since.

Mi dos centavos.

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/2164.htm

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1894.htm
Devon-Dyno-Soar118
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator/pulley/but options Reply with quote

Original genuine pulley is the best, ideally the one with the interlocking tabs and slots in the pulley vs just the flat edges on the hub only. Every aftermarket one I have had was total garbage and went in the bin.
Rust Collector.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator/pulley/nut options Reply with quote

What noise? We replaced the bearings. The chrome dome nut sucks. I like a good old nut. The pulley is important. They sell cheap Chinese pulleys for like $7 but I like the quality $40 ones
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator/pulley/nut options Reply with quote

After my bus started really eating alternator pulleys - especially the aftermarket ones, usually in 200-400 miles, eating a belt at the same time, and spitting the shims out between the metal of the pulley face and the nut as bits of mangled steel that were all that stopped it just spinning ..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also after going through a long line of Brazilian crank pulleys thinking the reason the belt was slapping around and the pulley chewing cause was the bottom pulley having all kinds of runout ..

The alternator was replaced with some new random 75A alternator.

The crank pulley was replaced with a billet aluminium pulley because the groove in that is actually round and has basically zero runout.

The top pulley was replaced with another aftermarket junk pulley, but new.

The key was peened back into the alternator pulley as the slot for the key started opening up.

And I replaced the fan. Which must have got a bit bent when a local aircooled garage put the engine foam in with the ends facing the fan : the foam did not last ...

And all is peace now. Same belt and pulleys for at least 2000 miles, dont even have to move shims.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Devon-Dyno-Soar118
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator/pulley/nut options Reply with quote

A mis balanced fan will certainly destroy the top pulley! Good find.
It’s also worth checking the alignment of the top and bottom pulleys.
Rust Collector.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator/pulley/nut options Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
What noise? We replaced the bearings. The chrome dome nut sucks. I like a good old nut. The pulley is important. They sell cheap Chinese pulleys for like $7 but I like the quality $40 ones

I don't hear it, but my engine guy thinks there is an issue.

The main issue is the tock sound you guys noticed. I believe it's gotten worse, so I'm pulling the motor and stripping it, and he can rework the long block. He suspects a wrist pin or keeper is loose or broken. But we'll find out. It seems worse when cold and at rpms up to about 3K, where it goes silent. I assume the forces balance out and the oil provided a cushion at the higher rpms, but the clearance issue at the heart is still there, so out it comes.

The alternator question is just something to look into as the engine is out. And I am not a chrome fan. So this thread is asking about alternatives. I'll pay good money for good stock German if that will fit this alternator.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: