Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Decent Headlight switch?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
deronmoped
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:22 am    Post subject: Decent Headlight switch? Reply with quote

Anyone find a decent replacement headlight switch?

I already went through two Bus Depot headlight switches and they are junk.

When you push the connectors onto the terminals, the internal connections are pushed out of position ending up in a switch that does not function as intended. The first switch I installed had intermittent connections after hooking it up, the headlights would go on then off if I moved the switch around. The second switch the dash lights would stay on no matter what position the headlight switch was in.

I did a bunch of testing of the switches and found that they worked correctly out of the box, but as soon as you pushed the connector onto the terminal, that is when the problems started. If the connector was old and loose the problems would not appear. But if you used new tight connectors the terminals would move slightly down into the switch causing problems.

I'm thinking of trying a switch from JBugs, but it's for a 71-79 Bus and I have a 70 Bus. What do you guys think?
Thanks, Deron.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Decent Headlight switch? Reply with quote

Buy used. Or since you know the reason for the failure find a way (needle nose pliers) to hold the tab as to not damage the fragile switch.
Opossum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Decent Headlight switch? Reply with quote

The switch I bought from Wolfsburg West works great.
Virginia Whiteface (Opossum) the first VW
Camper Special Club Member
1973 Orange Westfalia Hard top, Original owner
deronmoped
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Decent Headlight switch? Reply with quote

"Or since you know the reason for the failure find a way (needle nose pliers) to hold the tab as to not damage the fragile switch."

I did that on the second switch on the terminal that turned into the intermittent headlights condition on the first switch. But with the second switch when I installed the connector to the dash light terminal, the dash lights stayed on with the headlight switch in the off position.

I found that the switches do not take well to any downward pressure to the terminals. It seems that the terminals are not properly anchored in position to the insulator base.

On the stock switch it's impossible to push the terminals in any farther as they are properly anchored.

After the failure of the second Bus Depot switch I decided I did not want take the chance of something that could end up in a dead battery or intermittent lights from a poorly built switch. The design seems fine, it's just they are not building them robust enough.
deronmoped
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Decent Headlight switch? Reply with quote

"The switch I bought from Wolfsburg West works great."

I'm pretty sure that is the one I just bought off of Amazon, A DASPARTS headlight switch. It does not say it's for a 1970 Transporter, but it looks the same as the Wolfsburg West one that says it will fit a 70 Bus.

The reason I bought off of Amazon is the cheaper price, free delivery and the no questions asked return policy.

The reason I bought the first switch from Bus Depot was, they said the switch "Worked". I trusted them as I have bought some good quality parts from them in the past.

This DASPARTS switch you can see in the image of it, that the terminals are, what look to be, well anchored in the insulating base. One terminal is riveted and the others have bosses that protrude from the terminal that keep the terminal from being pushed in.

Plus the housing looks more substantial and the Bus Depot switches are thin sheet metal that does not hold the switch mechanism very secure.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Decent Headlight switch? Reply with quote

OE, is the best and there is no shortage.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Decent Headlight switch? Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
OE, is the best and there is no shortage.

I can heartily agree with part of this: used original will almost always be better than a repro. But the second part - “no shortage” - I can't completely agree. Like the '71 Bus switch, that one is tough to find. But don't let that stop you looking because original is flat out a better 98/100 times.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Decent Headlight switch? Reply with quote

I'm sure I have a dozen or more in stock. I usually don't bother listing as it rarely fails. OP can PM if needed. I'll post some reasonable, you gotta see, man!
deronmoped
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Decent Headlight switch? Reply with quote

I did not realize the stock one was still available. I figured anything you bought that was stock would be used and 50 years old. That's if you could find one. I tried searching and never seen a stock one come up in my searches.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Decent Headlight switch? Reply with quote

I just ordered a replacement for my 71 from CIP and of course it doesn’t have the 57 terminal for the dash light . 71-79 my ass Evil or Very Mad

Mine still works, but has some contact issues and turning the switch on is iffy whether the lights come on or not, and you have to wiggle it to get the dash light on all the time

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
deronmoped
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Decent Headlight switch? Reply with quote

I received the switch from Amazon, the DASHPARTS one. It's the same one that JBugs carries.

The switches from JBugs comes in 10MM and 14MM mounting solutions, although the switches look to be the same otherwise.

The switch I received from DASHPARTS looks and feels very robust compared to the problem ones I received from BusDepot. The terminals in the DASHPARTS (JBugs) one are very well anchored in the insulator base. They will not push in or move like the BusDepot ones. The terminals moving in the BusDepot ones are main problem I was having, which would cause intermittent connections to connections being stuck in the on position. The terminals would get pushed out of position if you used new spade connectors on them. Using the 50 year old loose connectors did not seem to cause an issue.

Also I noticed the dimmer portion of the DASHPARTS (JBug) ones, the windings were spaced much closer together, making for a smoother operating knob.
Opossum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Decent Headlight switch? Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
I just ordered a replacement for my 71 from CIP and of course it doesn’t have the 57 terminal for the dash light .

Try this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Adding this relay will turn on the dash parking light indicator when those lights are on or if they are left on.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Decent Headlight switch? Reply with quote

Opossum wrote:
W1K1 wrote:
I just ordered a replacement for my 71 from CIP and of course it doesn’t have the 57 terminal for the dash light .

Try this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Adding this relay will turn on the dash parking light indicator when those lights are on or if they are left on.
Would piggy backing the 57 wire on 58 work?
Opossum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Decent Headlight switch? Reply with quote

I don't know.

I know using the relay does, it's how I wired mine.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Decent Headlight switch? Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
Would piggy backing the 57 wire on 58 work?

Yes, but the green parking indicator will glow all the time at night and it gets old pretty quickly.

I'm confused about the diagram, most headlight switches don't have an 85 terminal. Shouldn it be a four pin relay?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Opossum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Decent Headlight switch? Reply with quote

Should be # 58, oops. Thanks, Robbie, for the correction.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: