Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

truline boring bar
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrswlsn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: truline boring bar Reply with quote

I have instructions also if anyone interested.
I’m in New Jersey. [email protected]
babydon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: truline boring bar Reply with quote

nsracing I am a new member have the opportunity to buy a new truline boring bar. Can I purchase new cutters from you or other parts as needed for this bar? Is there anything specifically I need to look at before I buy it at $1200.00 dollars along with the thrus cutter for aditional $100.00? Thank you for any help
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: truline boring bar Reply with quote

babydon wrote:
nsracing I am a new member have the opportunity to buy a new truline boring bar. Can I purchase new cutters from you or other parts as needed for this bar? Is there anything specifically I need to look at before I buy it at $1200.00 dollars along with the thrust cutter for additional $100.00? Thank you for any help

You shouldn't need any more cutters unless the current cutters are missing, or were run through with a dowel pin in or something. The standard cutters will last almost forever when cutting magnesium or even aluminum. Even if they were dull, you could sharpen them quick, and reset the cutter.

If you can get a near new kit for $1200, you should certainly buy it. And the thrust cutter. They are awesome tools once you get the hang of them. You will also need a setting tool, bore gauge, and a set of mic's also.

Brian
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: truline boring bar Reply with quote

I got a question here since this thread came back "alive"..........

Does anyone or can anyone make a thrust cutter for 36hp? I already have Tru-Line boring bars for 36hp.

Cheers.

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: truline boring bar Reply with quote

Mr. Okrasa wrote:

Does anyone or can anyone make a thrust cutter for 36hp? I already have Tru-Line boring bars for 36hp.

Cheers.

Have you tried Rocky Jennings? https://rockyjennings.com
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=PocketRocket
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: truline boring bar Reply with quote

Kafer_Mike wrote:
Mr. Okrasa wrote:

Cheers.

Have you tried Rocky Jennings? https://rockyjennings.com
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=PocketRocket

I've already tried everybody you can think of......

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: truline boring bar Reply with quote

Mr. Okrasa wrote:

Cheers.

Could you not turn down a standard thrust cutter to fit the 36hp bearing bore? And then reduce the OD of the cutter side, or make a new simple cutter to spin? I will need to look closer at a 36hp case, but it seems it would be easy to modify a standard cutter.

Brian
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: truline boring bar Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Mr. Okrasa wrote:

Cheers.

Could you not turn down a standard thrust cutter to fit the 36hp bearing bore? And then reduce the OD of the cutter side, or make a new simple cutter to spin? I will need to look closer at a 36hp case, but it seems it would be easy to modify a standard cutter.

Brian

Hi Brian.

I have not "sat down" to study the thrust cutter in detail. I guess it's possible if you have all the machines / tools and more importantly CASH, someone can do this?
I think I have a spare thrust cutter....

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: truline boring bar Reply with quote

I'm unclear on what kind if thrust cutter tool you want.

The type of boring bar kits with a separate outboard feed are not rigid enough to cut the thrust.
So that's why they had a separate tool.

I would not recommend it, but they do work good enough for some people.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: truline boring bar Reply with quote

modok wrote:
I'm unclear on what kind if thrust cutter tool you want.

The type of boring bar kits with a separate outboard feed are not rigid enough to cut the thrust.
So that's why they had a separate tool.

I would not recommend it, but they do work good enough for some people.

He wants the separate Tru-line style 2-piece thrust cutter that mounts to the case, but to fit a 36hp case.

Brian
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: truline boring bar Reply with quote

Understood.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: truline boring bar Reply with quote

Actually - I am designing a better thrust cutter for the VW case. The orig - TruLine cutter was ok - but needs some serious upgrade.

And to the guy who just got his TruLine in VA - you can PM me. If yours have been used a lot will need some accurizing to be useful. Otherwise, you will ruin a perfectly good case using an worn too.

Someone just asked me for bits a little while ago. Have to see where I put them away. People will forget the dowels and that is how they ruin a nice bit. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cole1964
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: truline boring bar Reply with quote

I just acquired a tru-line boring bar and would like to know where everyone buys their cutters and any other spare pieces. Also looking for any instructions or information on the bar itself. I did see post about this back from 2007 but I don't know who's still around, etc..

I'm also looking for a thrust cutter as I do not have one. So, if anyone happens to have an extra they'd be willing to part with, please PM me.

Thanks
Chris
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: truline boring bar Reply with quote

ARe you missing the cutters? or they are jacked up? YOu should not need any extras for just cutting magnesium.

I have never had to replace any of mine. I may have some extras - have to see. I just sent some across the pond not long ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: