Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bigger tires, 2wd style...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: bigger tires, 2wd style... Reply with quote

i've searched for quite some time and can't seem to come up with what i'm looking for, so figured i'd see if the info is out there...

basically i'm curious how big i can go on a 2wd van...currently i'm lowered, however thats gonna change, at least going to rock 85 westy springs, since it sounds like those are the tallest stock springs...or i'm thinking of going with the syncro.org lift springs... either way i'd like to go as large as possible... however i'm very much willing to go beyond those two options and lift the van, but i'm curious how much lift is needed to fit certain tires...

a buddy's syncro is rocking 225/70/16...are syncro much different that 2wd's in the clearance department?

i'm not too concerned about the slider door as i had already planned on extending the hinge to acomodate wider tires... also figured i'd be rolling fenders too...

also not concerned about power, i'll have enough of it to move the bigger rubber....

in the rear i figure shocks and trailing arm are the hurtles, while i can't do much about the trailing arm, except put in spacers, the shocks seem like the least of my troubles, changing around shock mounts won't be a big deal...

in the front not too sure of limiting factors aside from the fender itself...

so...any kind of info that anyone can glean on this would be great...

btw i'm going to be using the same benz 16" slk wheels i have now...except with bfg all terrains... forgot what the backspacing is off the top of my head...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

thanks in advance!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mad-Max
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your van looks uber cool lowered, keep it low bro!!!
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: bigger tires, 2wd style... Reply with quote

What kind of springs do you have in there now?

-Damon
As such, it is of the earth,
And if i need to, I can let my Van go.
Bern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the springs are H&Rs, the shocks need to be replaced but they're carats in the front, and i think kybs in the rear...

ya, it looks decent low, but for the last month i've really been on the fence about keeping it after i get done with the VR6 swap for it... i want/need something for camping this summer, and anything beyond a moderate dirt road is a bit too much to scramble up in its current state... a good syncro is outta my price range right now cause if i went syncro i'd want a westy.... i thought about buying a cherokee, but then i'd be driving a jeep, and i have no room for another car right now so that would be my only car and i'm not so keen on that idea... then the idea of lifting mine, even thought its 2wd, came to me, i'm not planning on mud bogging or anything too insane, i just want the clearance, and with a locker in the rear i figure i'd do ok...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: lifted 85 2wd westy Reply with quote

Here is my lifted 85 2wd westy.

Have the syncro.org springs front and rear. Gave about a .25" lift (85s are the highest of the vanagons), but really leveled the van out and also made stiffer (better suited for westy).

The rims are 15x6 et30. The tires are BFG LT215-75R15.

Front shocks are silver KYB, the back shocks are white KYB.

About 18" from fender lip to ground.

My only problem is rubbing in the front under full compression (don't have the bumpstops).

I'm looking for a set of bump stops.

Love the setup.

tommy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is an '87 Wolfsburg edition, stock has the "carat" springs. I sourced a set of '85 Westy springs too. Swapped 'em out and installed Bilstein touring shocks, huge improvement, gained about 3" rear and 2.5" front with BFG 27x8's on stock 14" alloys. No rub, no issues.

I want to install a set of 16's too. Thinking either these Audi rims or a set MB E320 rims I have in the attic. I'll be intersted in seeing what size 16's anyone has fit under a 2wd, I guess my current set-up was too easy, so I am looking to complicate things. Rolling Eyes Wink

914 mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy, love the set up. Really nice. I have been on the fence about going with the BFG AT's on my 84 westy. It has 14" alloys. I didn't think 15" were possible on 2wd, but looks like it can be done afterall??
When you say rubs at full compression, does theat meen full compression of the steering rack in a tight turn on the streets or are you refering to full compression of the suspension as it articulates over uneven terrain?
Does someone make bumpstops to fix the problem or do you think they could be easily fabbed?
What are the rims off of?

Really nice rig,

Mike
84 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: rubbing on my 15s Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. We love our westy. Unfortunately, the PO did 0 maintenance. So, she is down more than up (for now).

I believe the stock front suspension has bump stops integral with the shocks.... from my memory of looking at other vanagon front ends.

mine doesn't. Never rubs on the street. Only rubs when a heavy load and hitting either a huge bump (wheels straight rubs on the top) or when pseudo 4wheeling, and compressing the suspension with the wheels turned.

been a low priority looking for bump stops, as trying to get in-dash ac installed and has been a real bear! I'm planning on going to a junk yard to get the necessary hardware (for bump stops).

The in-dash AC is not a behr unit, but a european cooler air unit.

The rims were made in germany, apparently just for vanagons. Got them from fast forward.ca. But he has gone out of business. I think these are very similar to the ones TiiCo sells (currently out of stock).

tommy
Bern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies, lots of good info... i guess i'm starting to wonder how much lift i'll get vs a westy since i don't have all that extra gear in my van, although with the current plans it might get into the weight class of a westy...

i was thinking about trying to fit 225 or 235/70/16s...bigger than alot than i've seen, but not by much... how close are those 27s? coming to the rear trailing arm?

i'm getting excited at the prospect of camping in some deeper woods and higher up mountains this summer than last...

Very Happy
ajvoggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile I just bought a 83 Westfalia and it has been lowered. In great shape, too. To see the lowered version goto http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l234/cap132/ It have the Merecedes 16" SLK wheels now. Great look but a bone crunching ride. I want to raise it like vwjedi setup.. Are "carat" springs the manufacture as I need to get all the springs? Can the Syncro springs fit? Need some help here!! Shocked Thanx for the help Wink
Bern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"carat" springs are from vanagon "carats" (a series or option kinda like GTI vs. golf).... carats springs are the lowest riding factory spring, so if you're looking to lift your ride height moderately, but not go super off road high, then those are the springs you're looking for...

if you're looking to go big you don't want carat springs...

syncro springs will fit in the rear, but not the front, the tallest factory springs are from a 85 westy....

aftermarket options are out there as well, like the syncro.org lift springs that are said to give about 1/2-1" higher lift than the 85 westy springs...

there are also option of lifting with spacers etc, but do some research as you start getting into territory of slightly more modifications to make it all work right...

hope this helps...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: