Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

356 engine in early Ghia
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
philoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: 356 engine in early Ghia Reply with quote

Hi all,

As I want to drive my Ghia, I was looking for solutions to get some more HP, but I also wanted to save the Vintage spirit of the car. I looked at Okrasa or Denzel solutions but my mechanic told me "You will spent a fortune to get at the best 40 or 50HP, with no good reliability".

So, we thought at the idea to install a quiet "Dame" engine from a 356 A that offers 60 HP with total reliability and that is totally in the spirit of the period of lowlights.

And, considerable advantage, a 60hp is significantly cheaper thant an Okrasa or Denzel engine.

So, I have some questions regarding installation :

- Is a 60 hp with its 180mm clutch plug and play on a 58 Splitcase tranny ?

- Does the 60hp enter Ghia rear compartment without cutting anything in the car (I am planning to cut engine tins)

- Does air filters enters rear compartement without any problem (rear decklid height or hinges). I remember that Karmann Okrasa engines need specific air cleaners and that Judson needs cutting the deck...

NB: I asked similare question before the website crash and somebody answered me, but I never could read the answer because of the crash...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: 356 engine in early Ghia Reply with quote

philoo wrote:
- Does the 60hp enter Ghia rear compartment without cutting anything in the car (I am planning to cut engine tins)

- Does air filters enters rear compartement without any problem (rear decklid height or hinges). I remember that Karmann Okrasa engines need specific air cleaners and that Judson needs cutting the deck...

a 356 engine will fit without cutting any of the body. I have heard you can even install it without removing the carbs.

the okrasa ghia air cleaners are just so that you can use the stock springs for the decklid. I have normal air cleaners on the okrasa in my ghia and the decklid fits fine, but there are no springs to hold it up. so you can make special air cleaners for the porsche engine or make something to hold the decklid open. (my car had a steel prop rod which was installed when the okrasa was installed in the 60s)
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tri356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 356 engine in my '63 ghia. Although I definitely like it, I'm not sure I would go this route again. It has taken a lot of time and effort to get it correct, and I'm still working on some details.

Here is a website that covers the conversion:

http://www.bayarea.net/~diddler/black-sheep/fiasco.htm

The one area that Ryan doesn't cover is the muffler - you have a couple of options:

a) take a 356 muffler and do some major cutting/welding on it to make it fit. Having this very large can close to your rear apron may cause some paint discoloration in the long run - certainly the metal gets very hot.

b) buy an extractor exhaust which should fit without a problem

Another area is the interference between the right valve cover and the rail for the engine seal. On my '63, this was very close - a little of the metal had to be 'persuaded' out to make room and make sure the two pieces did not rub against each other. I believe the different year ghias vary slightly in this area so this may be easier in the later ghias (larger engine opening) than in the earlier ones.

Also, there's the subject of air filters. If you have a later 356 engine equipped with Solex carbs and mesh Solex air filters, you will have no problems getting the decklid to close. If however, you have a 356 engine equipped with Zenith carbs, I believe the later black canisters will be too tall and you would not be able to close the lid. You may need to switch over to the Zenith mesh filters, which are a little shorter.

Finally, as far as taking the engine out without removing the carbs is concerned, this would be a tough job with the Solex carb'ed engine. I have done it once. It required jacking the car very high up and tilting the engine at funny angles to get it to drop down through the opening. A total of three people were used for that job. In my case, I think it's easier to remove the carbs and one of the manifolds to complete the job. All that being said, I don't know what the situation is if you'd use a Zenith carb'ed engine.

Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
philoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 356 engine I am looking at is the quiet 60hp, with the 32 NDIX Zenith carburetors and large air filters.

Your answer are very interesting. Mike, do you any pictures to show for the engine in your '63 ?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tri356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will snap a couple of pictures and post them tonight.

Mike
LANGEBERG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: check this homepage out Reply with quote

www.hoshenriksen.dk
tri356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/331925.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/331926.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/331927.jpg

Mike
philoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really interesting pictures from Mike and Henrik website both.

Mike, would you have pictures about your muffler fitting and mods ?
bt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tri356,

I am thinking about doing this to my Ghia. I already own all the parts from a 68 912 w 48,000 miles.

Why is it that you wouldn't do this again?

bryan
tri356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bt wrote:
tri356,

I am thinking about doing this to my Ghia. I already own all the parts from a 68 912 w 48,000 miles.

Why is it that you wouldn't do this again?

bryan

Several things:

One is the amount of experimentation that you'll have to do to get things dialed-in. Take a look at Ryan's website and read into how he tried this or that when it came to the flywheel situation. He also experimented with the accelerator cable hookup. He went ahead and made a guide tube for his tranny. All this can add up to time-cycles - try one thing/go for a ride/it looks like it holds up/no it doesn't/get towed home. Did you not buy the correct parts the first time? - ok, buy some more.

Probably the most frustrating thing for me is the muffler setup. There really is not a lot of room between the motor and rear apron of the ghia. You should be or know a good welder to take this on. You can either a) run an extractor exhaust or b) muck with an original 356 muffler to get it to fit.

I'm currently running an old Fourtuned exhaust that fits in a ghia but has 356 exhaust port flanges. That works well, but in my opinion doesn't look that great - I've tried for a stock-look for the rest of the car and I don't like the look of that muffler hanging off the back.

You can take a 356 muffler and cut it to make it fit. You will have a relatively large can sitting close to the rear apron. The thing to consider there is power and heat. A late 356/912 engine will develop a good deal of power - ~ 90HP. That heat needs to dissipate somewhere. The surrounding metal can get very hot - what'll it do to your paint? Also, if you're running an earlier ghia, your decklid won't have a removable rain tray, and that engine needs cooling. So, you may have to go an external oil filter on your engine (the stock bypass filter doesn't count) Smile.

I've rambled on here about various technical issues intertwined with comments about the time it takes to do this. I also spent time rebuilding my engine (a VW/356 engine rebuild is something I definitely recommend doing yourself - it's very educational and satisfying to do!) and then spent additional time just restoring my car. Thom, if you're reading this, I'm going to use a comment of yours from the past:

"

70 140 wrote:
Thom - why not make a pair...now that you practised on your first one you can do this one quicker

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=333915

... or, I could pound my nuts flat with a ball peen hammer... Tough choice..."

I laughed hard when I read that... At some point I just want to drive my car and enjoy it since I think it's a great looking car and always brings a smile to my face.

But apart from all the above, it seems to me that for a stock ghia (and as I mentioned, that's the direction I went in), 90+HP seems too much. Stock, the ghia is not a sports car, and other things should probably be modified in order to harness that power in. There's a little too much sway/bob in a normal configuration for my taste. Perhaps I'd feel differently if the engine made 60-70HP. But, I'm not going to downgrade it now Smile.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I can try to help.

Mike
bt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Mike.

I had planned on using a header system as I didnt think the 356 muffler would fit.

I was going to install the 5spd trans from the 912 to avoid the clutch questions.

I can weld and fab parts so thats wont be an issue for me. However I do understand how all of these "improvements" prevent me from driving the car. I have been FN around with this thing (off and on) for a few years and I tired of changing it.

I bought a 04 Shuby turbo that I was going to use. My car is customed(944 brakes, flared qp's 356 frontend) but I really dont need that much power for a driver. If I start that, I know I'll need the better part of a year to finish it. I was just going to sell all of the parts from the 912 but I would still need to buy/build a "good" engine for the Ghia. To put together something reasonable that I would like, it would cost around $2000-$3500, so I might as well keep what I already have.

bryan
65 356C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: 356 engine in a Ghia Reply with quote

Years ago before there were plentiful hop up parts for VW's, many were running 356 engines. It is now hard to justify the expense of a 356 engine. A properly built 1776 can deliver much the same hp. But there are those that like the challenge of doing something that is a bit unique and welcome the challenge of dealing with the few issues involved in such a conversion: clutch, fitting cooling tin, exhaust, air cleaners that don't interfere with deck springs,proper heat, proper cooling and throttle linkage. Many of the issues can be solved with readily available parts. I am in the process of doing this mod and find that I am able to use 356 flywheel (properly machined depth) with VW clutch and mated TO bearing; the Bursch 356 exhaust and modified Webber air cleaners leave plenty of room; careful trimming/fitting of engine tin helps seal engine compartment; the use of late model 356 "heater cans" with levers and extra set of pull cables will give me heat and using a Gene Berg full flow filter will help longevity. The real test will be to put this all together and make it look like it was a factory job. Sure beats some other hobbies I can think of.
philoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am in the process of doing this mod and find that I am able to use 356 flywheel (properly machined depth) with VW clutch and mated TO bearing

Can you tell us more regarding clutch fitting ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: