Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BEST wheels for a buggy?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Yellermanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

68 manx wrote:
Hi YellerManx,
How'd get your slots so shine so much? ....alot of elbow grease? I run slots on my manx and they need polishing?

I wet sanded them using progressively finer grit until I got up to 1500 I think. It was whatever I had. Then just polished them with Mothers aluminum polish.

A lot of elbow grease to say the least. I went to the garage for an hour or so after dinner for many nights. I think it was worth it though.

A lot of people find places that will do them cheap. I was quoted $100 a piece around here. That's why I did them myself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Yellermanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffT wrote:
Guess it's a '70's guy thing.

Yep Laughing Have you ever seen "That 70s Show"? It hits the nail right on the head. Funny thing is I had a friend who had a Vista Cruiser identical to the one in the show. Laughing Wish I could go back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
JeffT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, my best friends mom had a tan VistaCruiser. Now that you mention it, his brother had a '69 Camero with those alum-Ansen type wheels. Man that was a long time ago Shocked

1983 Berrien Buggy
uglyvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dig the slots on my el lobo, but i'm switching soon. found an original set of american racing torque thrust 5 spokes. painting the center the same as the body sparkle blue. i'll hang onto the slots in case i get a mood change, i love that 70's flare
Elwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was born in 71 so I wasn't old enough to be a part of the 70's thing. The 80's style was just plain ugly and generally was change just for the sake of change. Carried over into the 90's and finally things that are good are finally being apreciated somewhat.
However I really don't like the "new" big wheel ghetto crap nowadays. Thats some ugly shit and will go the same way the Mini trucks did. Almost completely and whats left will actually be decent but it will take about 10 years more for it to come into it's own. Just like the current Minitruck stuff is now, much better and tastefull.

Last edited by Elwood on Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frontloader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90volts

What exhaust system do you have on your buggy and how quiet is it?

Looks like what I am looking for. If you have another pic of the rear end of your buggy, I would appreciate seeing it.

Thanks.
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like CMS/Douglas aluminum wheels, probably the lightest you can find out there

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

darkdune
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elwood wrote:
I was born in 71 so I wasn't old enough to be a part of the 70's thing. The 80's style was just plain ugly and generally was change just for the sake of change. Carried over into the 90's and finally things that are good are finally being apreciated somewhat.
However I really do't like the "new" big wheel ghetto crap nowadays. Thats some ugly shit and will go the same way the Mini trucks did. Almost completely and whats left will actually be decent but it will take about 10 years more for it to come into it's own. Just like the current Minitruck stuff is now, much better and tastefull.

Big wheels are ghetto. Just like those gay "spinner" rims YEAH!!! those really went far. ugly pieces of crap. I'm all about the small white man rims.. whoever puts big rims on a dune has issues. But to each his own.
adriaan pienaar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought these 14inch slotted aluminum wheels for my Buggy, from the owner of the 1975 South African Puma in the pic. They are 14 inch diameter and 7 inch wide. (Note the squared-off 'jelly bean' slots) These wheels were specially made in South Africa for the Puma factory. Will post pics of 'em on my buggy soon. They had a special center cap (not seen on the pic) which I had replicated and chromed.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
90volts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here it is before the cage went on. i got it to keep the sound level below the standard for state inspection. they wouldn't pass the mega duals. its still a little throaty, moreso when you floor it. its a bugpak quietpak.
90volts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't remember the seller i got the mustang lights from. but they came from ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1964-66-Mustang-Tai...enameZWDVW

i cut out one lens and replaced it with a frosted piece from a flourescent light for the backups which i need to pass inspection.

Frontloader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 90volts. The pics and manufacturer are just what I needed.
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steel wheels , powder coated to match the color of the buggy!!! Wink Wink

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
darkdune
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90volts where did you get that chrome rear bumper... all i could find was raw steel.. same style but no chrome!! was saddening
lostinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
Hey I'm old Cool , I'll go with Centerlines,Less unsprung weight,I have an old set of ET's for now,just weighed one, 15lbs!! anyone know what a centerline type weighs? Oh and N50 rears and 135's fronts,Madmike

Centerlines although nice looking and extremely stout, are still 3 times the weight of the same size CMS aluminum wheel.
Jerry...
90volts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumpers from this place.
http://www.bugsandbuggies.com/Parts.asp?CN=470&SN=9&GN=6

they stopped carrying the chrome for awhile. looks like they have them again.
Genom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to my earlier post about aluminum slots and stock VW wheels...I've always liked the wide five style Ultra wheels. They pop up for sale here every now and then.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Elwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkdune wrote:
Elwood wrote:
However I really don't like the "new" big wheel ghetto crap nowadays. Thats some ugly shit and will go the same way the Mini trucks did. Almost completely and whats left will actually be decent but it will take about 10 years more for it to come into it's own. Just like the current Minitruck stuff is now, much better and tastefull.

Big wheels are ghetto. Just like those gay "spinner" rims YEAH!!! those really went far. ugly pieces of crap. I'm all about the small white man rims.. whoever puts big rims on a dune has issues. But to each his own.

I can not stress enough that I didn't say I liked the big wheels. I hate it with a passion. I have seen a few Buggies with big wheels and they look stupid as hell.

adriaan pienaar,
I love those Puma rims. Those are awesome. I have always liked the 5 lug slots and may get a chevy patterned set for my buggy eventually. I gotta get it on the road first. Rolling Eyes Your Buggy is awesome, love the color and everything.
adriaan pienaar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Elwood!

Production on South African Pumas started again this year, for more info go to www.pumacars.co.za Unfortunately they are fitted with modern wheels these days.

We visited the Puma factory earlier this year, more info and pics here Arrow http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2089 - pity how the so-called 'Purists' from my country shoot a Puma down Crying or Very sad

(But I still prefer my Buggy! Cool )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fireguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellermanx wrote:
Another vote for slots. And yes Murzi it is a generational thing. I had slots on my first car, a 68 mustang. Jerry I like your wheels too, they look like slots. Very Happy Here are my $30 slots. Very Happy

Oh yea this is what they looked like when I got them. I had already started working on one in the picture. Then I paid $45 for center caps. That just doesn't seem right.

Gotta go with the slots also. Hopefully picking mine up on Saturday.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: