Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BEST wheels for a buggy?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WMAGRU
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: BEST wheels for a buggy? Reply with quote

Very nice!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: BEST wheels for a buggy? Reply with quote

The best wheel for you buggy is what you like! I think my Mini-T needs a nod to the old street rods with stock and widened steel wheels, and the old Ford wide-5 pattern that may have led VW down that path. The wheels are 14 inch Bus front and widened 14 inch Bus rear. The tires are P175/65R14 front and P225/70R14 rear with short axles.

This is a pre-engine shot so it is also before the Airkewld front beam was installed. It sits lower now, going for the same rake but lowered a little until the swingaxle is about 1 or 2 degrees positive camber. Oh, the black lug nuts are the lug nut covers used on late Bugs with the styled steel wheels. Of course it takes 5 sets to do a 5 lug Bug.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: BEST wheels for a buggy? Reply with quote

Not a buggy, But I need some help deciding what wheels to put on this car.

Right now it has cheap wire hubcaps which I could replace with expensive wire wheels, But I really hate wire wheels.

I would definitely prefer that the wheels are light since this is a light car, And 5 inches wide would be plenty. Right now it has stock 1973 Volkswagen wheels which I believe are 5.5” wide x 15.

In this photograph there is absolutely no weight in the front of the car, And the suspension is totally topped out in front. I’m going to drop the front end of this car about 3 inches. It won’t be quite as much room under the fenders but there will still be a lot and I’m not planning to use wide tires.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: BEST wheels for a buggy? Reply with quote

I've seen most of those style buggies with wire hubcaps. Real wire wheels would be a touch, perhaps painted wire wheels for a period effect. Still, I agree it would be interesting to see something different. Are there any flat steel disc center wheels wheels available? That was another vintage style, sometimes with cutouts.

You have a unique buggy, a take on a vintage sports car. You could go full *now* street rod with 17's on modern tires, raked stance, and "attitude." How well you pull that off would be all about creating the attitude around the rest of the car. It would be a sacrilegious street rod. Cool

Those are just my ideas, worth exactly what you paid for them!
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: BEST wheels for a buggy? Reply with quote

Many, many years ago I saw a car in a magazine that had wheels like this that were polished and had fake chrome wire wheel baskets over them. The baskets were those things that you use with a steel wheel that fastens to a center cap and simulates wire wheels, but not an actual wheel cover like what your car has now. The combination gave a really good wire wheel effect that might look good on your car if you were thinking of that kind of look.
Of course you might end up spending as much for the vintage wheels and wire baskets as you would for real wire wheels. Sad

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: BEST wheels for a buggy? Reply with quote

I am really not interested in buying used wheels. But I surely haven't seen the best of the current bug wheels.

Meantime, I will have the stockers blasted and powder coated, and get some repop VW caps with no logo.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: BEST wheels for a buggy? Reply with quote

It's getting closer.

Mrs slayer determined that the buggy will have solid wheels...

15 X 10 Centerline knockoffs by American Racing in rear and 15 X 7 matching in the front Cool Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Davz912/911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: BEST wheels for a buggy? Reply with quote

The 914 Fuchs are growing on me...

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: BEST wheels for a buggy? Reply with quote

According to my wife, the head of design, solid wheels.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
desertwrx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: BEST wheels for a buggy? Reply with quote

14 x 7 fronts and 15 x 10 rears. Not sure if I will use them, but they are cool looking.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Davz912/911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: BEST wheels for a buggy? Reply with quote

Just got my new wheels and tires...Now it looks "right"
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: BEST wheels for a buggy? Reply with quote

Davz912/911 wrote:
Just got my new wheels and tires...Now it looks "right"

I like the look! Who supplied the wheels, and what tire sizes did you choose? I'm gonna guess P155/80R15 up front because I think that is the only close size available in a BFG Radial T/A.
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: BEST wheels for a buggy? Reply with quote

Those look very good indeed.

I run solid Centerlines. They look good with the stainless panel between the fenders.
Davz912/911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: BEST wheels for a buggy? Reply with quote

EVFUN,

Correct on the front, the rears are 255/60/15 I had some four lug smoothies widened to 8 inches in the back and all powder coated white. Stockton wheel did the widening / powder coating... and took forever. Their work is good but they are short staffed.

TCMIA... looking good

Dave
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: BEST wheels for a buggy? Reply with quote

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
SteveM.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: BEST wheels for a buggy? Reply with quote

Picked up these cheap slots, they beat the rusty chrome wheels that came on my Buggy!

New Cooper rear tires mounted, need to get some smaller front tires next... [these fronts came on the wheels and rub on the whoopties!]

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: BEST wheels for a buggy? Reply with quote

Mine came with fake centerlines and looked fine but they were Chevy bolt pattern with adaptors.

The extra width and the adaptors made for an offset on the front that caused very poor road handling at highway speeds. I am in the process right now of getting rid of the adaptors and going with genuine Fuchs front and back. Fronts are done and it pulled the tires back under the fenders nicely and made a world of difference on the highway.

Working on the rears now.
vanderjw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: BEST wheels for a buggy? Reply with quote

I

had to go 5x205 because of the brakes I have. I think I can live with it. Not my fav though.
vanderjw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: BEST wheels for a buggy? Reply with quote

This is with a 295/75-15 Goodyear Wrangler
CapeBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: BEST wheels for a buggy? Reply with quote

Hello All,
Struggling with finding new wheels for my buggy. Curious how you all went about sourcing wheels. I have been scouring FB marketplace. I have GM adapters(4.75" bolt pattern) and want staggered front/back 15's. I know there are sources for new, but trying to save some $$. Hope to find a VW/Chevy/GM flea market is another option. Please share your thoughts. Here is what is on my rig now. Would like to find slotted mags or the torque thrust(?).

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: