Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new project!
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
project russ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:38 am    Post subject: My new project! Reply with quote

Well after 30 years of trying I finally got the project I have been wanting!

I appreciate this forum and all the help and support!

History-
This is a 1967 Dune Buggy that my Dad and Grandpa built in 1967. My uncle has had it sitting in a field all these years but finally after years of asking finally let me have it! I actually have pics of the buggy from 1967 and an article from the local newspaper in 1968 saying my family was bringing California to Georgia. From what we understand it was the first ever Dune Buggy in Georgia. It is not a Manx but looks very similar. Any help you can provide to identify it would be great. My dad cannot remember for the life of him.

He had the body shipped via truck from California in 1967.

My grandpa started a VW repair shop after they build this buggy and called it Crumley's VW in Austell, GA. My goal is to have a pinstripe guy paint the shop logo on it when the project is done.

The really exciting part is three generations will be working on this, my Dad, my 14yo son, and myself. That is the coolest part to me.

I also acquired a 63 pan and new floor boards as the pan and floors in the dune buggy are LONG gone!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My new project! Reply with quote

Looks to be an Allied Fun Buggy Model 20-2. Check out http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com

slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My new project! Reply with quote

You Sir, have a very cool, 3 generation project on your hands. I'm kinda jelous, I gotta say.

Very Happy

I feel your humble origins!
My project buggy

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
project russ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My new project! Reply with quote

Thank you gentlemen! We are very excited!

I have to find a motor. I want my som to rebuild it like I did when I was 16.

When Dad built it he raced it and had a Porsche Super 90 hanging off the back.

I think our budget says we are going back VW but I want to hot rod it a little bit
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My new project! Reply with quote

project russ wrote:
Thank you gentlemen! We are very excited!

I have to find a motor. I want my som to rebuild it like I did when I was 16.

When Dad built it he raced it and had a Porsche Super 90 hanging off the back.

I think our budget says we are going back VW but I want to hot rod it a little bit

No better way to hodrod it than a turbo.....You can double your hp on a cheap 1600-1776 or if you really want to push it triple it or better.
For Ex.....my 1679 Turbo EFI maxed out at 226 crank hp.. and does an easy 22 lbs boost at 187 whp all day long.

6.0 lbs boost will give you 113 whp and 122 lb. ft of torque with a basically stock engine under 5200 rpm.

Here is a little video....

Link

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My new project! Reply with quote

That thing is crazy quick!
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: My new project! Reply with quote

Hope you can save the Alloy wheels - they are cool. Takes hours of tedious elbow grease but they could be polished up like new!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: My new project! Reply with quote

Wolfgangdieter wrote:
Hope you can save the Alloy wheels - they are cool. Takes hours of tedious elbow grease but they could be polished up like new!

Those wheels are easy.... Had outer part of rims polished and inner spokes bead blasted "professionally" ...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My new project! Reply with quote

If you're thinking of hot rodding the motor, Berry's off-set blower kit looks like it'd tuck under the deck of a buggy nicely. No exhaust plumbing to fabricate and uses minimal bolt-on construction. Like a turbo, it's a cost effective way to double the HP of an otherwise stock motor. This will be an amazing family project! https://berrysblowersllc.com/store/p/berrys-new-off-set-blower-with-multi-carb-options-kit
project russ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My new project! Reply with quote

Wolfgangdieter wrote:

I really want to! They are the originals. i sent pictures to a wheel guy but he said they are too far gone. I am hoping it was just because he did not want to mess with them.

There is some pitting on the out part of the wheels. I need to some research on a DIY way to restore them. Any advice or where to start?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: