Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lever Shock
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Lever Shock Reply with quote

Can anyone help me?

What fluid goes in the shock and how much do you fill it?
Does anyone rebuild them?

Thanks in advance. Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact these guys: http://www.classicautoshocks.com/ They restored the single action lever shocks on my car and they came highly recommended when I was searching for a restorer
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
52panelvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I filled mine originally with gearbox oil but im fairly certain that the piston movement was way too stiff, compared with an original one i had, so was going to opt for using auto transmission fluid (atf, dextron etc) as this has been recommended to me by someone for this purpose as the oil is much more fluid and should flow better through the pistons.

As far as filling it up, i filled mine in the end so that they were almost full except for about half a centimetre from the top, after cycling the arm a few times.

If it is siezed then you wil have to send it to a restrorer.....

If in doubt talk to the people shown above, im sure thay will know

cheers
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always heard jack oil, like for a floor jack.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys I'm goin to contact the link above that rareair recomended, after reading it they sell shock fluid,
I'll post later and let you guys know what they recomend. Very Happy
vintagemx0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use motorcycle fork oil. You can get it as low as 2.5W and up to about 30W. It can be bought in small quantities too.

My suggestion would be to go to your favorite local motorcycle shop and buy some 15w fork oil and see what you think. Too soft? try some 20W or 25W... Too hard? try some 5W or 10W....

Motorcycle front suspension works very similary to those lever shocks and the choices of oils are tremendous. Stay away from motor oils! They often contain detergents and are pretty crude for valving (consistent viscosity) operation like you need for those EXPENSIVE lever shocks.

Ken
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what was liquid originally used? i am reconditioning the lever shock on my '50. i opened them up and felt like brake fluid. is that possible?

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuñado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought 2 quarts of shock absorber fluid from www.chevsofthe40s.com
I paid $6.75 a quart plus shipping. They work great give them a call
1-800-999-2438.
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after doing a bit of calling around, i heard a variety of answers. transmission fluid, jack oil, light hydraulic fluid and conflicting answers on brake fluid. i spoke with apple hydraulics in new york and they said i won't go wrong with jack oil.

i empied out the old oil that still looks clear, though too low and added the jack oil in, worked the lever back and forth to squeeze out the air and closed it up. nice and smooth.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of old brit cars had lever shocks. most brit car suppliers will have something suitable. i wouldn't hesitate to use jack oil either.
example:
http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=31457&SortOrder=1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that stuff is double the price of jack oil.

Quote:
Quote:
passoa55 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting information.
I need it also for my car, Januari 1950.
1950 Hebmuller #458
1955 lowlight lizard green
1955 original paint oval
1956 1600 super V-sunroof Porsche
1958 lowlight ghia black
1963 firetruckred 23 window
1967 SO42 westy
1969 original paint Westy
1970 one owner 1300L bug
geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Lever Shock Reply with quote

Does anyone have a definitive answer as to what the correct angle of the lever arm to the shock body should be ? I had the rear shocks for my '50 Standard Sedan rebuilt some time ago and recently removed one to check that the arm was moving properly without binding or leaking fluid. In comparing it to a couple of other shocks I have for other projects, I noticed the arm was not indexed to the same angle as the two other shocks which don't seem to have ever been apart but had the same angle which is different from the rebuilt shock. There seems to be many ways to incorrectly install the arm on the pivot shaft. I have to assume that the arm should be installed with the pistons even to each other in the cylinder bores, which I was able to establish with a junk shock, but at what angle ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hawker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Lever Shock Reply with quote

This should give you an idea of the angle of the arm in the centre of the total travel. With the top removed and the cast iron beam parallel to the cover plate mating surface, the lever arm should be in this position. It has coarse splines so it shouldn’t be difficult to mirror the angles.

BR,

Rob

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Lever Shock Reply with quote

Hawker, Thanks for your quick response. I will compare your photo with what I believe is one of the shocks I have that may or may not be unmolested. The rebuilt shock I have, that I believe is incorrectly assembled seems to be off quite a bit from what shows in your photo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Lever Shock Reply with quote

I have tried everything I know to press the pivot shaft out of the junk housing I have and even with a 12 ton press, it won't budge. Without completely demolishing the housing I have no idea what to try next. I have a good, bare housing and had planned to use the piston assembly, pivot shaft and lever arm to assemble a complete shock assembly with a new seal, and wind up with serviceable shock, but not getting anywhere so far. Any suggestions anyone ?
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Lever Shock Reply with quote

Apple Hydraulics.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Lever Shock Reply with quote

Apple Hydraulics are the ones who assembled my shocks with the lever arm incorrectly indexed, but thanks for taking the time to offer a helping hand.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Lever Shock Reply with quote

10w hydraulic jack oil or a heavier weight if they're a bit leaky is what we used - z
...sells oil, by the quart - https://www.applehydraulicsonline.com/
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Lever Shock Reply with quote

geneL3c wrote:
I have tried everything I know to press the pivot shaft out of the junk housing I have and even with a 12 ton press, it won't budge. Without completely demolishing the housing I have no idea what to try next. I have a good, bare housing and had planned to use the piston assembly, pivot shaft and lever arm to assemble a complete shock assembly with a new seal, and wind up with serviceable shock, but not getting anywhere so far. Any suggestions anyone ?

Heat up the arm around the shaft (not the shaft directly) with an acetylene torch and then try pressing it out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: