Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

pop out resto
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LONESTARVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: pop out resto Reply with quote

What would I need besides the pop outs to convert my 69 regular windows to pop outs? Also, what rubber would be needed to restore a set of pop outs? Thanks for the help! I hav't messed with pop outs much.

We confide in our strength without boasting of it; we respect that of others without fearing it.
-THOMAS JEFFERSON 1793
itlives
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I restored mine completely. DON'T replace the inner seal (between the frame and glass) unless it is necesary. They are a bi -icth to get in.
Go to Wolfs Berg West web site . They have detailed pics and you should be able to see what you need from them.
Scott Faivre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh here's one that I can toot my own horn on! Very Happy I just did this on my car when I converted to pop outs. I got all my parts from cip1.com when I restored mine a few months ago.

You'll need the following items:
(2) Hinge mounting plates
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D847%2D139

(1) Frame to body seal (comes with 2)

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16%2D113%2D135A

(1) Pinch welt for retaining the headliner (comes with 2)

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16%2D113%2D131B%2DBK

(1) Hinge Covers (2 are included)

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16%2D113%2D129B%2DBK

You will also need the screws for mounting the hinge to the plate.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VHD%2DN14%2D1221%2D10

They don't sell them, but you'll need to find some good stainless mounting screws (6) for mounting the pop out latches in rear. All beetles were "dimpled" in the area where you need to put these screws. Also the B pillar is already pre-drilled for you to mount the plate and front hinge on on your pop outs.

The last thing you might need to replace is the rubber seals around the latch where it passes through the glass. I did mine and it was a tough job until I figured out away to do the job. These are the seals:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16%2D143%2D320

I had to rig a couple of pads made from stir sticks and autobody tape on my vice and GENTLY compress the both sides of the latch in order to get the grove to show on the through pin. Only then could I get the E-clip on.

I got my pop outs at the pomona swap meet a year ago and the hinges were outta shape. It took me a while, but I bent it back into shape and finally got it where the window would be closed and have a tight seal all the way around the perimeter of the window.

If you need any more help, shoot me a pm or an email.

Scott Faivre
Fattie
I'd roll it

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Scott Faivre...
I just got a set myself and was also wondering what parts would be needed Wink
Bogey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from Not having the hardware available, I got all I needed Through CIP and in White
Now that I have all the stuff, How do I take off the existing windows?

1968 Type 1 Beetle 1641 m/t conversion with IRS
1965 Type 1 Beetle 1200 Bahama Blue
2008 GTI
2006 Ducati Sport Classic 1000
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scott Faivre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogey wrote:
Aside from Not having the hardware available, I got all I needed Through CIP and in White
Now that I have all the stuff, How do I take off the existing windows?

Yes! I forgot to mention that! The pinch welts and the hinge covers are available in white.

You need to take a utility knife (razor knife) and cut the rubber seal on the inside while some one holds the window on the outside. Once you've got the seal cut only slight preasure from the inside will be needed to get the window out.

Be careful not to cut so deep that you cut your headliner.

Scott Faivre
Bogey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I do have to cut the seals ? Too bad, they are in near new condition but oh well, I won't need them anyway.
Thanks for the info.

2008 GTI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scott Faivre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogey wrote:
So I do have to cut the seals ? Too bad, they are in near new condition but oh well, I won't need them anyway.
Thanks for the info.

Some people claim that they can pull them out without cutting the seals, but you take a big chance of breaking and cracking the glass as you remove it.

Cut the seals and be safe! Wink

Good Luck with it!

Scott Faivre
what year is it
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to www.thebugshop.org. He restored early popouts but it pretty much the same (a real pita).
Fattie
I'd roll it

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How Do You Replace....

....Around The Frame ?
Bogey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's is my Question too. I bought the seals and can't figure out how to remove the old ones and install the new ones without damaging the frame. HELP !!!

2008 GTI
TimD_66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Faivre wrote:
Bogey wrote:
Thanks for the info.

Some people claim that they can pull them out without cutting the seals, but you take a big chance of breaking and cracking the glass as you remove it.

Cut the seals and be safe! Wink

Good Luck with it!

Scott Faivre

i did this on my windows when i put my popouts in....i just basically pried them out as if they were popout windows and i was hinging them open...i pretty much just stuck a large screwdriver in between the window/rubber and body near the rear (about the same place the popout window latch is), and both side popped right out with no damage to the seal. Very simple....not sure why you would need to cut the seal.

B.L.T.N.
N.A.G.
Bogey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Great. I will try the prying method VERY carefully. But, the question still remains. How do you replace the seal around the P.O. window frame as illustrated in the photo above?

2008 GTI
biggene
Samba Hillbilly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my quarter windows out the following way, and I was told to do this by a former VW service technician who works at a used VW yard in my area. Pop the window at the front and the rear from the inside out by hitting it solidly with the palm of both hands at the same time. I was kind of skeptical at first, but when I tried it the windows popped right out into my friends hands.

When you are ready to replace that seal, all you have to do is use a small flathead screwdriver and get the old one statrted coming out then just work your way around a little at a time puling it out of the channel. When I installed my new one, I coated it liberally with "dawn" dish soap and used the aforementioned screwdriver to manuver the seal back into the channel. You just need to take your time and be patient and there wont be any isses.

Good luck with the rebuild,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bogey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHHH.....We have an answer! I love this place! The rubber in this window I have is pretty Forked up so, I probably just tear it out carefully. The install is what was holding me up. thank you and I'll keep you posted for those that might be needing this info later.

2008 GTI
biggene
Samba Hillbilly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggene wrote:
I took my quarter windows out the following way, and I was told to do this by a former VW service technician who works at a used VW yard in my area. Pop the window at the front and the rear from the inside out by hitting it solidly with the palm of both hands at the same time. I was kind of skeptical at first, but when I tried it the windows popped right out into my friends hands.

When you are ready to replace that seal, all you have to do is use a small flathead screwdriver and get the old one statrted coming out then just work your way around a little at a time pulling it out of the channel. When I installed my new one, I coated it liberally with "dawn" dish soap and used the aforementioned screwdriver to manuver the seal back into the channel. You just need to take your time and be patient and there wont be any issues.

Good luck with the rebuild,

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blue70beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also did mine by prying back the seals and pushing the glass out. Haven't heard about hitting two corners before, but I'm sure it works great. Either way, it will only take a few minutes to remove each one. No cutting required.
Bogey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. In regards to removing the old seals from this old pop out window that I bought, and installing the pop out window seals back on to the chrome frame.....whew ! Let me tell you What a PITA this was. I killed neary two hours of my life and have bruised thumbs to show for it.
First off, to remove the old, cracked , dry seal, I gently lifted the rubber off the frame by prying with a blade from my leatherman. Pulled just enough so that I could grab it with my hands and work the rest out. That was the easy part. Less than a minute.
Next, Made a soapy solution and set up shop at the kitchen sink to keep water, soap, and mess contained.I wet the groove in the frame and dunked the seal in the solution.
After cleaning the grove out to remove any grime or debri left behind I commenced to applying the seal.
Laying the window flat on the kitchen counter, You start by anchoring both lips of the seal into the grove. I tried a knife but slipped out of my hands too often so I went with a spoon so that I could use my thumb in the spoon. Once you've done that, making sure you have a good achor that won't come out, lay one side of the seal in the groove and work on tucking in the the other side with the spoon. Take your time. If you tire, leave it, come back and do some more. It is real time consuming and made me wonder if it was worth the effort. I finished one and it looks tits. i wish I took pics but I was on a roll at the time and I did not want to stop. Hope this helps. i still have one more to go.
Crying or Very sad

2008 GTI
Bogey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pics from the second window...

Yeah, I know the images are big.
As you can see, My tools aren't high tech.

2008 GTI
1FUNBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be glad that you didn't have to replace the rubber between the metal frame and the glass. That is one thing you learn how to do and hope that you never have to do it again! I replaced my rear quarters with pop-outs a few years ago. Its one of the best upgrades I've done. I also tinted the rear quarters and back light with 25% tint (typical for SUVs). It keeps the kiddies a little cooler in the back. Good job on the overhaul!

71 Beetle, 1776, dual Kadrons
77 Westy, Camper Special 2.0 F.I.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: