Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ultimate Westy Shower?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Westy Shower? Reply with quote

Here is what I did for a recent camping trip.

I basically created a thermal siphon with some copper pipe and a couple short lengths of hose (to create a flexible area).

You could probably use any water tank but I used one of those 5-gallon flexible tanks.

To heat the water, you put one end of the pipe into the tank, suck on the other end to pull water all the way through, and then place it into the tank. Both ends must be under water.

Then put the coil in your campfire. What'll happen is that water will boil in the copper coil, and as it does it'll be pushed into the water tank from one end of the hose, and cooler water will be pulled into the coil from the other. I did not use a check valve and over several cycles, it did not seem to matter which direction the water was traveling; it would kind of "decide" which way it was going to go each time and worked just fine.

Once the water is heated up (if I remember correctly, I decided about 115-120 was about right for me on a cool (40sish) night but you are responsible to not burn yourself!) pull the coil out of the fire and tank.

Reinstall the tank lid/outlet and if needed push the hose onto the end. Toss the tank up into the luggage rack and shower away!

The first night it was dark and lonely enough I stripped down and showed with no curtain. It was a little breezy though! The second night, we put up a curtain that came with a kit I got that had one of the solar bags. (Didn't use the bag because it was cloudy and cool that trip.)

The pics are from the night I built and tested the system at home. I did not end up using the shower sprayer shown. I found that a sink sprayer replacement kit from Wal-Mart was perfect, because it was small enough to provide a little pressure and the push button control on the end made it very easy. I did have to heat the hose end to fit over the outlet of the container the first time. Once it stretched, it held and simply pushes on. Pic does show how it is attached, though.

This is the thermal siphon setup. I simply bought a 20-foot section of soft copper pipe from the hardware store, cut the ends off and added the flexible hose (in this case, washer and dryer hoses with ends cut off) in between.

I like this setup because the only thing I'm adding over what I'd already bring on a camping trip is the thermal siphon setup. I would already be bringing the water tank along most likely, and it does collapse. So things are serving double-duty and therefore saving space. (As compared to a dedicated water heater.)

Also, the heater part cost maybe $25 to build, and maybe $7 for the sprayer kit I used. I would have already had the container.

As far as heating the water this way vs. in a pot or something, who wants to mess with trying to fill the bag/container with heated water from a pot? Much easier to fill the container from a spigot and then heat in there.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Imagine that Coleman stove flame is your campfire. Or if you can't have a campfire, use a Coleman stove!

To give you an idea of how the sprayer is set up.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Westy Shower? Reply with quote

macjack wrote:
I love the different methods and the creativity of approaches.
Fwiw, I put a pump and propane on demand water heater in the rear cabinet. Here is the samba install thread:
http://tinyurl.com/hhecer2
-macjack

Wow, that's pretty slick!!

I can't remember if I already posted to this thread but, while I really enjoy seeing the ingenuity on display, wifey and I are keeping it low tech with a collapsible dry-bag style solar shower, a rope to hang it, and heating water on the stove. It's important for us to have a minimalist set-up that we're able to set up the shower away from the van during times when we're camping with other folks.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Westy Shower? Reply with quote

permanent Van install:
macjack wrote:
I put a pump and propane on demand water heater in the rear cabinet.

also see Bill's install on Page3
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5152005&highlight=bills#5152005

completely portable:
1. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7580673#7580673
newfisher wrote:
2 gallon bug sprayer mod/hack with 6 foot hose and modified kitchen sprayer with wand and adding 1/2 boiling and cold water

2. a flat pack option
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7418015#7418015
Jon_slider wrote:
http://m.rei.com/product/850667/nemo-helio-pressure-shower

Link

3. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7418036#7418036
Jon_slider wrote:

However, out of all the options mentioned, in foggy and overcast conditions where solar heating is not going to happen, neither to a roadshower, nor to a bag shower, the hard plastic garden sprayer is superior, and costs less, and it can be filled with hot water without concern for melting….

I would buy this Duckworth modified garden sprayer, before a roadshower or an REI Helio

vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Westy Shower? Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Here is what I did for a recent camping trip.

I basically created a thermal siphon with some copper pipe and a couple short lengths of hose (to create a flexible area).

Nice job!! I like how compact this is.
Reminds of the unit that Zodi sells http://zodi.com/hot-showers/zodi-fire-coil

LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Westy Shower? Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, that was a partial inspiration for my water heater.

That and I saw some guy selling plans, but I figured it out from this and pics. Mine may have not been quite as pretty.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
delibessleep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
This was a failed attempt at a simple solar shower.
It sucked so I removed the details on it. It doesn't get hot, it is inconvenient to use, it looks stupid, and now I have 2 new holes in my poptop to show for my trouble.

Have you considered pressurizing it? Perhaps add a Schroeder valve at the cap and pump air into it to about 30 or so PSI. That should help considerably. Also, how thick is your PVC?

Biology is destiny...choose your mutations carefully
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delibessleep wrote:

Have you considered pressurizing it? Perhaps add a Schroeder valve at the cap and pump air into it to about 30 or so PSI. That should help considerably. Also, how thick is your PVC?

I have had several different types of showers. That one was probably the worst of them all. The weight of the water severely impact the opening/closing the top. PVC and ABS pipe is actually a pretty insulator so the sun doesn't heat it up worth a damn. . Much less effective than a solar shower bag. The filling location was kind of inconvenient and you had to open it to use the shower too to let air in.

I could have fixed a number of the flaws by copying the road shower design. Add a valve to pressurize it or a battery powered shower head. Mount it horizontal on awning brackets so it didn't affect the top. For heating it, a 12V heater element inside it that I could run while driving would have got it up to temp, and the sun might have kept it reasonably warm for a while. The road shower has a clear plastic top and reflector inside to maximize solar gain. All in all, this was ugly and poorly designed.

My criteria after making a few different kinds is; very little if any setup, hot water capability (but doesn't have to be instantly hot - like the tank I had heated off the coolant lines), convenient to use, and doesn't take up a lot of space.
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Westy Shower? Reply with quote

I've tried quite a few of the solutions mentioned. None of them really got me a hot shower. Currently my solution which I am very happy with is Mr. Heater BOSS-XCW20 Basecamp Battery Operated Shower System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011TRLWIG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_2LiLybRZNSA85
It fits perfectly in the bottom of my wardrobe closet in its own bag below our blankets. It's self contained, uses very little gas, and I can drop the self contained pump anywhere- our water tank, or a freezing cold Colorado river, and it's gets hotter than you need it instantly. It's also rechargeable with its own battery. After multiple different tries, this is the only one that the wifey has given the thumbs up to
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Westy Shower? Reply with quote

Pcforno wrote:
Currently my solution which I am very happy with is Mr. Heater BOSS-XCW20 Basecamp Battery Operated Shower System

After multiple different tries, this is the only one that the wifey has given the thumbs up to

sounds like a winner Smile

looks like it may be a similar unit as this Coleman
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Demand-H2Oasis-Port...1486173210
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Westy Shower? Reply with quote

We are going with this unit. Simple and reliable and portable (can place shower/privy tent in private spot in campsite). Looks to pack easily too.

http://zodi.com/hot-showers/extreme-sc

Small wheel turns by the firing rod,
Big wheel turns by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turns 'round,
You're bound to cover just a little more ground.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Westy Shower? Reply with quote

That Zodi does seem pretty simple/reliable, though maybe bulky.

For just about any shower that doesn't have an easy on/off near the showerhead, assuming you want that, I suggest swapping with a kitchen sink sprayer. They've got a dead simple on/off capability and it provided a great spray with the pressure from a tank on my roof rack.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Westy Shower? Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
That Zodi does seem pretty simple/reliable, though maybe bulky.

For just about any shower that doesn't have an easy on/off near the showerhead, assuming you want that, I suggest swapping with a kitchen sink sprayer. They've got a dead simple on/off capability and it provided a great spray with the pressure from a tank on my roof rack.

Good point on the spray nozzle. I do plan to swap one onto the Zodi.

Small wheel turns by the firing rod,
Big wheel turns by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turns 'round,
You're bound to cover just a little more ground.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Westy Shower? Reply with quote

I have been using the Zodi for a few years now and I love it! It works as intended but I have modified mine over the years to work even better for me.

You can use a five gallon bucket to hold the water for the Zodi as well as store all its various parts in when disassembled.

I wanted a water tank just for the shower so I came up with this:

It used the shower head that came with the Zodi but I put in a Westy water pump instead of using the battery operated pump that came with it.
The battery op-pump will chew thru batteries, so 12 volt is a better choice and a much stronger pump too.

I replaced the shower head with one that I could control the flow and one that had a better spray pattern. The shower head came with a water proof switched plug/cord that is plenty long enough to reach a ways from an outlet.

The shower head works great! and what we usually do is recycle the water back into the tank while the burner head is lit and then turn off the burner once the water temp gets to where we like. The drawback of the Zodi is if the burner head is lit you can't shut off the pump/shower head. You'll get burned if you do.

The is the Shower head that I got from Amazon

This is the latest upgrade for the shower, an 8 gallon Hydroller tank with a SAE 2 postion quick release plug. All we have to do no is unplug and pull off the output hose and take the tank to the water source and roll it back to the campsite.

SAE plug

We use the shower with the Bus Depot rear hatch shelter as the shower room, plenty of room and a nice hot shower to boot!

I know space is always at a premium so the tank will ride in my bicycle basket to the campsite and the 5 gallon bucket with the zodi in it rides inside. We don't take it on every trip just the ones where we will be on the road for a week or so.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:

Well, looking back on the previous posts, I must say, thank you for trying my idea...
Too bad it only worked well as an idea.....
Funny- I had this idea, and some time later, the Road Shower 2 came out... Rolling Eyes hmmm......
Still might go for one of those though...
http://roadshower.com/
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fuzzyip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Westy Shower? Reply with quote

I use a portable water heater with the Road Shower, heated showers outside.

I like this setup, because if I run low on fresh water for the sink, you can direct the water fram the road shower right into the hookup box to refill.

Zodi Hot Tap is the portable water heater

davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Westy Shower? Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by davevickery on Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Westy Shower? Reply with quote

Ha! Figuring the connection as we speak.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662374
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Westy Shower? Reply with quote

How would it work, as long as your shower pipe
is under the van, to
run the Shower Pipe Over & Around the Coolant tubes?
Or Heater hoses?
JC...
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Westy Shower? Reply with quote

Energy Concepts wrote:
How would it work, as long as your shower pipe
is under the van, to
run the Shower Pipe Over & Around the Coolant tubes?
Or Heater hoses?
JC...

That blue 4 gallon aquatainer had the heater hose running through it. So it would be pretty easy to Tee and run heater hose or copper through PVC pipe under the van. I just want to try something different.
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Westy Shower? Reply with quote

Oh, gotcha!

I didn't see that.
That should work good !

Just talking about you yesterday.
How's the Temp situation in the 2.5 coming along?

Did you wind up installing a engine oil cooler?
That's what I think I'm going to have to do.

best,,
JC...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: