Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ultimate Westy Shower?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

You need to recognize that COPPER (your proposed heat transfer coil) and ALUMINUM (a good portion of your engine and cooling system) HATE each other and seek to destroy!

If you pursue this, use aluminum or Stainless steel for your transfer coil and other bits. Do not go introducing copper into an already trouble prone cooling system.

Dave

Stainless and aluminum may not hate each other, but they do tend to bicker incessantly. They are usually fine until someone shows up with a 6-pack of electrolytes, then it can get ugly. Laughing
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
djkeev wrote:

You need to recognize that COPPER (your proposed heat transfer coil) and ALUMINUM (a good portion of your engine and cooling system) HATE each other and seek to destroy!

If you pursue this, use aluminum or Stainless steel for your transfer coil and other bits. Do not go introducing copper into an already trouble prone cooling system.

Dave

Stainless and aluminum may not hate each other, but they do tend to bicker incessantly. They are usually fine until someone shows up with a 6-pack of electrolytes, then it can get ugly. Laughing

Break out the Gatorade!
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a failed attempt at a simple solar shower.
It sucked so I removed the details on it. It doesn't get hot, it is inconvenient to use, it looks stupid, and now I have 2 new holes in my poptop to show for my trouble.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by davevickery on Fri May 23, 2014 5:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it Dave! Do give us results of your field testing! Very Happy
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by davevickery on Fri May 23, 2014 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
wtcumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring and plunger inside so its pressurized? It would need to be a really long spring with a low spring rate such that hose pressure could compress it or even simpler some surgical tubing inside the tube? I'm inspired to try one myself. What a luxury after being in the ocean!
Bruce Wayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work Dave. I may add that to my van. my Zodi's pump went kaput on our last trip. what about adding a Schrader valve,and putting a couple of lbs of pressure behind it?
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Wayne wrote:
nice work Dave. I may add that to my van. my Zodi's pump went kaput on our last trip. what about adding a Schrader valve,and putting a couple of lbs of pressure behind it?

Ya I would be thinking about that as well, the problem is you would need a fairly large accumulator on the pneumatic side. I was thinking about a small tube running along side the upper that was tied at the top solely for the purpose of providing pneumatic pressure on the larger tube.

The problem is that even if you had another tube up there the same diameter to provide pressure, by the time your water is half gone your pressure has dropped in half.

It would be better really just to have an electric pump and sink style hose sprayer like some other people have used, coupled to this solar heater.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by davevickery on Fri May 23, 2014 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
wtcumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also love the simplicity. A hunk of styrofoam cut with a hole saw the exact diameter of the pipe with a hole drill out to pull the surgical tubing through and knot it. The buoyancy force would help a lot I think keeping the plunger where you want it above the fluid being pulled by the outstretched tubing. This would be an easy add Smile. Poor mans hydraulics! Hose pressure through a simple ball and socket valve could easily stretch pretty stout tubing and the valve would allow hose removal without water loss.
bikesarebetter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Westy Shower? Reply with quote

I'm thinking about this problem. I want to heat the water in the factory tank to a precise temp while driving. I don't want to loose any storage space, or have complicated systems prone to failure. Here's my solution:

Digital temp controller mounted on the dash.
http://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-All-Purpose-Temperat...mp+control

Exchanger mounted in factory tank, I'm thinking 1/2 stainless.
http://www.amazon.com/Super-Efficient-Stainless-St...rt+chiller

And the final piece I can't find: A 12v three-way coolant diverter. Any suggestions or leads?

Set the temp on the dash while driving. The control unit will divert hot coolant through the tank until the temp is reached, then it will send it back through the heater core. What do y'all think? It might cook the in-tank pump, but if it does I'll replace it a more powerful one.
Farf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Westy Shower? Reply with quote

Can't vouch for the quality, but might be what your looking for.

Note: Temperature rating max is 100C.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/misol-3-way-motorized-ball...1373063600
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
not to rain on your parade.. but won't that get your bed wet and feet muddy? I'm not a fan of campground shantys (tarps) but I'll give ya points for a nice green one.

your ideas are sound, but not sure I'd want to tap off my fridge/stoves propane supply for hot water.. maybe a 3# portable like the icefishermen use.

also as much as I'm planning a back hatch tent extension.. for space& ventilation.
they make a seperate free standing shower tent thingie..
then again I also have an idea to make a back 'loo' as well .. seen images on some german van had a back extension made of fiberglass that attached to the van, sealed up and offered a john & sink.. I'd add a shower and elevated roof (my own ideas anyways)..

yes you can get quick connect propane fittings froma reliable propane supplier,. or theres Nat gas ones for home BBQs.

Dan, did you ever follow through with these ideas??

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Westy Shower? Reply with quote

bikesarebetter wrote:

And the final piece I can't find: A 12v three-way coolant diverter. Any suggestions or leads?

Set the temp on the dash while driving. The control unit will divert hot coolant through the tank until the temp is reached, then it will send it back through the heater core. What do y'all think? It might cook the in-tank pump, but if it does I'll replace it a more powerful one.

Regardless what tank you use, a 12 volt selenoid valve is all you need to control coolant flow, it doesnt need to be 3 way. You tee into the heater feed line, and tee into the heater return line and if the valve is open, coolant gets diverted through the shower tank.

My setup was not much different (page 3) except I think a separate water tank has a lot of advantages. I kept my big tank for drinking water, and to refill the shower tank if needed. If you use that big water tank for heated water, you probably won't be using it for drinking anymore, so you still need to carry another jug. Mine would be a little nicer with a custom made SS or aluminum tank, but I don't know how much that would cost or where to get one. It could have a heat exchanger compartment built in with fittings already on the tank, and sized to exactly fit the space.

To control the temperature, I glued a thermostat (snap disc limit switch) to the tank. Power goes to the thermostat and out to the selenoid valve.

I got power by cutting the high speed fan wire and using that. Then I could switch it on from the dash and still had fan speed one and two. On my new van, I just removed the rear heater anyway.

My current one is simpler. I just put a manual shutoff valve in the line going to the tank and use a wireless thermostat to keep and eye on the temp. The sensor is just laying on the tank (under a towel or shirt), with the readout laying on the dash. It is the same thermostat I normally keep in the fridge. With this setup I have to stop and manually shut the valve, but that is no big deal. With manual control I can let it get a little hotter if I want to hold off on taking a shower for a while after getting to camp.

The 4 gal tank is $15-$20, about 10 feet of heater hose ($15), 2 elbows ($8 ), a 3/4" pex valve($6), a dozen hose clamps ($10) and I already had the wireless thermostat ($10). A 1.1 gpm water pump is only about $30 and a cheap spray head with hose ($10) and fittings ($4). Maybe a total of $120 and most of it from Amazon or local stores.
Old_Ben_Gun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Westy Shower? Reply with quote

http://www.homedepot.com/p/MAREY-1-5-GPM-Liquid-Pr...lsrc=aw.ds Putting one of these recesed into the aft surface of the aft storage area is an Idea I have been toying with.
Noblecr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Westy Shower? Reply with quote

Not sure if this is of interest, but here is what I use.

Modified the fresh water tank to allow it to be used to fill the shower bucket. Avoids hauling water to the campsite, and can have longer showers. Can fill the shower bag with a short fill hose or the water hose used to fill the tank...which is stored in the spare tire. Current shower bag is an old grey water bag. Have ordered a 40L / 10G solar bag to allow for warmish showers

Changed the city water hook up to a solar plug in and 12 volt plug...provides power to the camp shower. Also allows the ability to move to a more private place to shower...will reach the back of the van too.

In my perfect world I figure out a way to build a new water tank that is insulated and can be heated via the engine...but thats a bucket list item

[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Westy Shower? Reply with quote

I've been researching a good hot water shower solution and stumbled on this video and seems like a neat solution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGCMwsDYmAw

the DC native water heating element with built in thermostat, One could use this to heat a separate water container or a brave soul could potentially even install it directly into the westy water tank. I would install some sort of a hard stop on the manual thermostat at ~90....

seems like all it needs is a standard 1" NPT fitting

direct link
http://mwands.com/store/dc-water-heating-elements/adjustable-water-heating-element
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Westy Shower? Reply with quote

Few things are as pleasant as cleaning off the day's mud, dust and sweat before relaxing in camp for the evening...

BOSS XC-20 water heater (performs much better than expected)
https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-BOSS-XCW20-Basecamp-Operated/dp/B011TRLWIG

Pop-up shower tent (easy set-up and take-down, easy to pack - check out the vid in the customer reviews on the Amazon page). The tent also serves as cover for random gear when we leave the campsite.
https://www.amazon.com/Faswin-Privacy-Shelter-Camp...F2K40W1VFM

20 year old collapsible bucket from REI, holds about two gallons and is good for 1- 2 showers.

Cleanwaste portable toilet (a 5 gallon bucket is cheaper but bulkier)
https://www.rei.com/product/662980/cleanwaste-pett-portable-environmental-toilet

This set-up has proven to be relatively easy, effective and versatile. I like that it's not attached to the van so we can set it up and drive the van w/out taking it down. It also can be put in an out of the way, low traffic area of the campsite. The only thing needed at this point is some sort of shower mat.

That's what works for me. YMMV. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Westy Shower? Reply with quote

In the spring I plan on installing this new faucet/shower head in the sink of the van. I purchased it online from Germany. Can't wait to use it next time we go to the beach or kayaking.

See video from CVC (in stock again there): http://campervanculture.com/shop/vw-westfalia-grey-shower-tap-for-t4-or-upgrade-your-t25-t3/

I got from: http://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/GuenzlClassicParts..../701070821

Thanks to Owokie for his pics on the Samba and the heads up!
Here are his pics, so you get the idea:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662374
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Westy Shower? Reply with quote

I love the different methods and the creativity of approaches.
Fwiw, I put a pump and propane on demand water heater in the rear cabinet. Here is the samba install thread:
http://tinyurl.com/hhecer2
-macjack
Bike as primary transportation
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: