Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What are the Stall Speeds for "H" and "Z" Torque Converters?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: What are the Stall Speeds for "H" and "Z" Torque Converters? Reply with quote

Will greatly appreciate finding out the different Stall Speed ratings for Torque Converters used in the VW Auto Transmission?

I know the "H" and "Z" code letters were used in Vanagon applications and have the higher stall speeds, just don't know the actual ratings.

Also, am aware of there being a "C" code TC and "D" code TC (I think those may have been for Type 3 VWs with auto trans, and possibly the 411/412 auto trans vehicles).

FYI: I will be matching a 2.0L Type 4 engine with the "003" stock VW three speed auto transmission (using a Type 4 Flex Plate).

Thank you in advance for your input on the different actual Stall Speeds.

Please volunteer what you know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the Stall Speed for "H" and "Z" Torque Converters? Reply with quote

The stall speed of both the "H" and "Z" is specified as something like 2750 rpm, IIRC. My experience is that any fairly stock VW boxer engine does better with the higher stall speed these two torque converters offer.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the Stall Speeds for "H" and "Z" Torque Converters? Reply with quote

I don't know what stall speed is, so I looked it up.

What is Stall Speed?

Stall speed is the speed at which the converter holds back or limits the engine speed if the transmission output is prohibited. When your torque converter prevents the power transfer from your engine to your transmission, it increases the engine’s RPM stalls. For example, when you press down on your gas pedal, the stall speed is the gap between where your vehicle idles and begins to move. The more stall speed you have, the more pressure you have to put on the gas pedal before your car begins to move.

Source: https://revmaxconverters.com/part-understanding-torque-converter-stall-speeds/

The problem is, I have no clue what that means. So my question is: what is stall speed?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the Stall Speeds for "H" and "Z" Torque Converters? Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:

The problem is, I have no clue what that means. So my question is: what is stall speed?

in a nutshell a TQ is basically a hydraulic coupler (clutch)

stall speed is referring to engine RPM. If the vehicle isn’t moving by the time the impeller reaches the stall speed, either it will start to move or the engine RPM will no longer increase.

so "stall" doesn't mean "aw shucks, my van stalled" what it means in this case is the engine "stalls" out at a certain RPM....basically the engine can't produce any more power

the reason for this is to keep the engine roughly in the RPM range it makes the most power (torque)

how the stall speed works..... even under light loads, a vehicle with an automatic transmission will start moving as soon as you take your foot off the brake. the stall speed comes into play under all load conditions. when we talk about stall speed, we’re referring to engine RPM. if the vehicle isn’t moving by the time the impeller reaches the stall speed, either it will start to move, or the engine RPM will no longer increase. in other words, stall speed is the engine RPM at which the torque converter transfers the power of the engine to the transmission.

in the real world, the torque converter’s stall speed roughly equates to the clutch engagement point on a manual transmission. let’s say you’re driving your stick-shift car around town. normally, you’d give the car a little gas and ease off the clutch pedal gently enough to get a smooth start. likewise, under most driving conditions the torque converter will start delivering power to the transmission at relatively low engine RPM.

let’s say you need lots of power, either to make a fast getaway or to start with a heavy load. you’d rev the engine up to a point where it delivers more power before letting up on the clutch pedal. it’s under those same circumstances that the stall speed becomes important. The torque converter will allow the engine to build RPM without turning the output shaft (the turbine) until the stall speed is reached.

another example is if a stall speed of a converter is rated as lets say 2,000 RPMs and you do the test...hold your foot on the brakes and smash the gas pedal to the floor and the engine can rev to 2900 RPM's it's a pretty good indicator that the TQ is junk

in that case the engine failed to "stall" at 2,000 RPM's

hope that clears things up a little

it's like how an airplane has a stall speed of say 80 mph. it doesn't mean the engine stalls, it means the ability to produce lift and stay in the air is lost.

with a TQ it means how much power can you make before engine speed can't go any higher, so it 'stalls'

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: What are the Stall Speeds for "H" and "Z" Torque Converters? Reply with quote

Thanks Skills for taking the time. It's very clear!
I grew up with manual transmissions, and the Vanagon is my first automatic. I think it's the last component of the van that is a black box to me, so I'm happy to understand a bit better how it works.

So I imagine you want stall speed close to maximum torque, or if that value is too high (high-revving gasoline engine for example), at least at an RPM where a significant amount of torque is produced. That being said, the lower RPM the better ?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: What are the Stall Speeds for "H" and "Z" Torque Converters? Reply with quote

VW proved with the Type 4 cars that having too low of a stall speed was a really good way to kill performance and burn up transmissions. Over the decades VW reluctantly increased the stall speeds of their TCs from being around 1800 all the way to 2750 rpms, with the performance increasing every step along the way.

There is a note in the Vanagon Bentley recommending the use of the later TCs on earlier vehicles. Just going from a "D" torque converter to a "Z" or "H" torque converter can make a big difference, so unless you are installing an engine that makes 50% or more bottom end torque than the original WBXer going to a lower stall speed RC is not likely to give satisfactory performance.
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the Stall Speeds for "H" and "Z" Torque Converters? Reply with quote

Well it kind of depends on which "world" you're talking about. In the drag racing world Hughes Converters, for example, define stall speed as:

Torque converter stall speed is the maximum amount of engine RPM that can be achieved in an automatic transmission-equipped vehicle while the transmission is in a forward operating range without generating any driveshaft motion.

For drag racing, stall speed is usually selected to allow the RPM to reach the maximum torque RPM for launch (i.e. in the sweet spot for the cam, or to get up on boost for turbo cars) before the converter basically locks up and overcomes brakes (foot or trans brakes) and the car moves. While still ensuring optimal torque is maintained at shift points as well.

Granted, not a huge danger with a wbx'er Laughing
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the Stall Speeds for "H" and "Z" Torque Converters? Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
That being said, the lower RPM the better ?

depends where the torque range of the engine is.

if it were a diesel with 3k red line you'd want something a lot lower than a gasser.

ever drive a 6 speed close ratio trans?

say the sweet spot is 3800 rpm and you're blowing thru the gears. each gear change keeps it in that "sweet spot" while increasing speed.

a TQ does the same (basically) by slipping enough to keep the engine in the peak power range.

a lock up converter (usually OD on a 3 speed trans, with the lock up being a "fake" gear) will slip all thru the 1st 3 gears and then lock up at a 1:1 ratio with the engine

if you have ever driven one of them if you come up on even a slight hill the lock up will disengage before it will actually kick down from 3rd to 2nd

my Blazer does that. if you're cruising at 40 it's turning like 2k rpms. come up to a hill the lock up goes away and now you're at 2400 rpms and if you really give it the coals it will kick down and and you'll be at 3400 rpms

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the Stall Speed for "H" and "Z" Torque Converters? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The stall speed of both the "H" and "Z" is specified as something like 2750 rpm, IIRC.

2750 for both is correct.👍🏻

This may be helpful/informative to OP, perhaps already read: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636219 .
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: