Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Interior Lights Not working in Cabin
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Interior Lights Not working in Cabin Reply with quote

Hello dear friends.
I successfully installed a new antenna on my (relatively new to me) 1984 Westfalia. I was very pleased with myself. While for some, this is probably an easy repair, for me it was a challenge. In addition to taking off the grill and removing the driver headlight, I also had to remove the instrument cluster on the dash to feed the new antenna wire through.
However, when I was done, the interior light above the cook area did not work. The PO installed two led lights on both sides of that light, and none of them work so it's probably not the bulbs. The dome light above the driver door and the 12V cig socket still work. If I am correct that these are all on the same fuse, then I don't think that's it.
After searching the forums, it seems like I may have done something to the ground connection when I removed the headlight or the instrument panel.
But embarrassingly, I don't even know what that means?
Would anyone mind explaining to me what I can do to resolve this?
I am in northern NH at the moment and many hours away from any westy mechanic.
Best,
Adley
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Interior Lights Not working in Cabin Reply with quote

First of all, good job on the antenna replacement! Each project you complete builds confidence for the next. I would pull the kitchenette light and look for a loose connection there. It is likely the PO pulled power from that source for the LEDs. Do the other cabin lights work?

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
Adley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Lights Not working in Cabin-Update Reply with quote

So before I got to do any trouble shooting, I was sitting in the van enjoying a heavy lightning/thunder storm and suddenly the light came back on and now seems to be working.
Any theories?
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Lights Not working in Cabin Reply with quote

Karma? Magic? Lightning? Who knows!

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Lights Not working in Cabin-Update Reply with quote

Adley wrote:
So before I got to do any trouble shooting, I was sitting in the van enjoying a heavy lightning/thunder storm and suddenly the light came back on and now seems to be working.
Any theories?

I wouldn't rule out a fault at PO's work but.....

It's most likely an issue on the ground side of the circuit.

Look for an intermittent fault at:

- brown ground wire at ground star near fuse panel

- brown wire to door switch or fault at door switch itself

- dome light switch and/or wiring to it.

Looking at my pic, and wiring diagrams, IIRC, one side of the switch at driver door provides a junction for constant ground from the star to the dome light then from there to kitchen light. The ground for the switched side of the door switch is from the switch securing screw to body metal.

Neil.

This is from my Canadian '81 Westy. Though dome light, switch, is not shown, that part provides a path for constant ground and positive to the kitchen light.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Adley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Interior Lights Not working in Cabin Reply with quote

Thx Neil.
Neil how do I "look" for Intermittent faults?
And in your pic, is that from inside the driver door panel?
My apologies about being such a newbie.
Many thanks.
Adley
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Lights Not working in Cabin Reply with quote

Hey Adley.

In my image, head liner is removed so that's visually confusing. Oops. Wink Yes. View is looking up at hole where dome light fits.

Ensure that fuse on the dome/rear light circuit is making good contact. (contacts are clean). However, a fault at that fuse would cause the dome and rear light to fail at the same time.

Double check brown ground wire at "star" above fuse panel. It connects to the dome light and junctions from there to rear light. As an example of an intermittent fault, that wire could be disconnected but at times connect to the star.

Look for obvious faults at the dome light switch or connections to it. e.g. dirty contacts which can be a source of an intermittent fault.

Don't allow part on switch where red wires connect to contact body metal. A fuse will blow if you do. No big deal, just a hassle.

Dome light(s) are switched on the negative side of circuit.

Rear light is switched on positive side of circuit.

As per my image, brown/white switched ground is from door jam switch. One brown wire is from ground star at dash, other brown wire goes to the rear light.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Adley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Lights Not working in Cabin Reply with quote

Neil thx so much for this thorough and detailed response. Very generous of you. I will keep you posted as to results. Although I may have to take a break for a few days as it's time to stain my 2000 square deck that's been ignored for 20 years before it rains again.
Best,
Adley
derekdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Lights Not working in Cabin Reply with quote

Can I ask why the rear westy light bothers to run a wire all the way up to the front like that? Doesn't it seem like the rear "living area" light in the westy could be grounded behind the fridge or pantry cabinetry somewhere? If I want to ground my rear light that way is there something wrong with that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Lights Not working in Cabin Reply with quote

derekdrew wrote:
Can I ask why the rear westy light bothers to run a wire all the way up to the front like that? Doesn't it seem like the rear "living area" light in the westy could be grounded behind the fridge or pantry cabinetry somewhere? If I want to ground my rear light that way is there something wrong with that?

I can't see a reason why not to do it. But then why do it? You're running a new positive wire from a rear aux battery?

Seems to me VW did it this way for servicing reasons. i.e. why "bury" a ground up around the spice rack area when you can terminate it at a star behind the dash along with the other grounds? Or, it was due to a manufacturing and assembly efficiency thing? Might also have something to do with the fact that Vanagons were used in at least several different applications. e.g. Ambulance, radio comms van etc.

I don't see the kitchen light in early "camper" wiring diagrams but later model years show it.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: