Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jbknown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

CPO_05 wrote:
In the middle of a straight axle conversion on my 67, using Thing drums so I can use my stock rims. Stock tires I have are 195/75/R14 and they will not fit in between the body and drums.

For those that are running close to this stock size (185s), how did you get your tire to fit?

once you do squeeze them in there by dropping axle down as described above your going to find out your also going to need to run wheel spacers. The offset on the 14" bus wheels will make the tires rub on your spring plates with out them.
bergfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Instead of pesky spacers I modified my stock rims to a more negative offset, Four welds attach the centre to the rim, grind out the welds and move the centre towards the inside as far as possible, do it on a flat welding table with precision packers to keep it true, running 195/80/15s by the way
RUSS914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Here are a couple of shots of my newly acquired 59 SC. I just installed new tires...
185-70-14 in the front
185R 14 in the rear

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
6sixTinBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

CPO_05 wrote:
In the middle of a straight axle conversion on my 67, using Thing drums so I can use my stock rims. Stock tires I have are 195/75/R14 and they will not fit in between the body and drums.

For those that are running close to this stock size (185s), how did you get your tire to fit?

Deflate tires. You can also cargo strap the tire to "flatten" the rubber and then angle it in to the wheel well, install, and inflate. That was what I did with my old double cab bay. Very Happy

It is what it is
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

bergfan wrote:
You need to place a scissor jack between the axle housing and the chassis to force the axle down to provide room

I've done that a time or two lol
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint

Last edited by Skim on Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
RUSS914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Hey there,
I used the scissor jack trick last weekend and worked great. However, I know have a small gearbox leak...it looks like the leak is coming from around the boot.

Russ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bergfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Your axles wernt used to being in so much positive camber, if your boots have crimp clamps you can replace them with hose clamp type to nip them up a bit more, also check to see you haven't split a boot.
RUSS914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Bergfan,
Thanks for the input. I'll check the boots this weekend.

Russell
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

To those who run 175/55/15 front tires, what tire pressure do you prefer?
bergfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

GLHTurbo wrote:
To those who run 175/55/15 front tires, what tire pressure do you prefer?

Im running 185/55/15 fronts with 30 psi
2LGT2QT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Just purchased my first SC off TheSamba. The cyclops light is coming off; it's nicely done, just not my taste. The '65 has a 2110, 4" narrowed beam and type 1 IRS with adjustable spring plates. Drives nice other than a bouncy front end even with gas-a-justs. It can probably go 1" lower in front and 2"+ lower in back. Just swapped out the wheels and tires.

Wheels: 5 x 15, 3-7/16 bs and 6.5 X 15, 4-1/8 bs
Tires: 195/60 and 205/65.

No rubbing anywhere; 1/4" clearance between the rear tires and fender lips. I'm guessing the fronts will rub on big bumps if I drop it lower.

Last edited by 2LGT2QT on Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

2LGT2QT wrote:
Just purchased this SC off TheSamba. The cyclops light is coming off; it's nicely done, just not my taste.

Nice bus, good move!
carswcharacter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Lowered 1962 VW Double Door Bus

The transmission has been upgraded to a 1968 type-3 swing arm. It was inspected by Mr. Gas and new nose-cone, bushing, and new boots were installed. A refurbished Type-3 front beam with disc brakes replaces the stock front beam. This lowered the bus and narrows the front beam. It's rolling on 15X5"wheels with new 155/60/R15 tires on the front, 15X5.5" wheels with new 195/50/R15 tires on the rear. Relocated shock mounts on the rear. Relocated steering dampener on the front beam.

#The4LugThug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

^^^ How did you fit a type 3 beam to the front of a split bus?
bergfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

Yes Im curious to, any pix of the mod ?
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

Pauly Did a type3 beam with hydraulics in 'Mext Up' in the late 90's before anybody figured out narrowed bus beams. From that point on I always wanted a type 3 beam in a bus. Never did it. I wish I still had pics of his beam.

1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
germanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Here is ours with new tires and rims fitted. I decided to raise her a bid especially in the front to pass the German TÜV.

First I have inserted a picture with the setting the car was when we bought it;

Basically 1" lower on the front and rear than below, and with smaller tires. It came with:
- 175/55 R 15 in the front on 5.5x15 empis
- 185/65 R15 in the back on 5.5x15 empis

This picture is from today:

As for the front:
- Creative engineering short front axle at maximum height possible
- CSP 14" Disc on flipped spindles
- 15x5.5 AE empi knock offs from Maxilite (Swizzerland), they have an ABE (toughness certificate) and are allowed to be driven on a Splitty.
- 185/55 R15 82H Pirelli tire
- distance A (ground to fender edge in center of axle): 580mm (22.8")
- distance B (center axle to fender edge): 290mm (11.4")
- tire pressure: 2.8 bar (40.6 PSI)

As for the rear:
- IRS
- Type 3 drum brakes
- 15x5.5 AE empi knock offs as above
- 205/65 R15 92H Pirelli tire
- distance A: 525mm (20.7")
- distance B: 205mm (8.1")
- tire pressure: 3.0 bar (43.5 PSI)

I am going to lower her a bid again primarily in the front to get a little more hot rod stance and to hide the front tire a little more under the fender for the looks.

Interestingly, the rear tire is less wide as I would have imagined. I ran a 185/65 R 15 in the back before, here the direct comparison of both sizes side a side:

The 205 seems to me more like just being a 195. This might be due to the only 5.5" wide rim, the smallest recommended size for 205 tires.
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Just installed BFG 215x60 Comp T/A's in the rear. Type 3 trans with Plenty of clearance too. Had to scissor jack to get them on but they go.

1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
splitnrag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out how to run my 66 SC. Flipped spindles, non-narrowed beam with stock 15" bus wheels. On my 64 camper I have 195 60 55 on the rear and 195 50 55 on the front on my camper which is also doesn't have a narrowed beam and I rub frequently when I have to adults in the front but these are bug offset wheels. Would I clear better with the bus wheels and stick to the same? I

I got my SC wheels back yesterday and want to get the tires on it. I had thought about running 55's all the way around versus 60's in the rear but thinking that would make me rub more in a corner. Not sure what to do and where to go with this. Would like to get this situated asap. Any input would be appreciated.

So do I stick with the 60's / 50's combo and hope the offset is enough to help clear? Thanks
splitnrag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Here is my '64
Flipped Spindles
Not narrowed
195/60/15 rear
195/50/15 Fronts

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 52 of 60

Jump to: