Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culito

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Hey guys, could I get a tire size suggestion?

64 bus

straight axle rear, thing drums, stock 15" bus wheels

flipped spindle front, stock beam, stock 15" wheels

I'd like to find the largest tire I could squeeze under the front and rear without too much rubbing.

Bonus points if I could get the front and rear sizes to match. I had bookmarked a 205/65/15 for both but that seems pretty big.

Thanks!!
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

The 205/65 will likely rub the spring plate with stock bus 15's. 195/65 will clear just fine. They will also work up front with your setup, but may rub with a full load up front on large bumps and big sweeping turns.
Culito

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
The 205/65 will likely rub the spring plate with stock bus 15's. 195/65 will clear just fine. They will also work up front with your setup, but may rub with a full load up front on large bumps and big sweeping turns.

Cool. I did forget to mention that it is a 68 bug trans with long axle / long spline, if that matters.
johnnypan wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

I've run a 185/60/15 on a stock bus wheel up front, and it rubbed a little too much for my liking (height wise). I have since swapped those out for a 175/ 55/ 15 Continental Smart car tire up front. My bus is on BRM's now...but it was the same way when I had the Stock bus wheels on it.

I run a 195/ 60/ 15 on the rear. Corey is right, I think a 205 on a bus wheel would rub the spring plates. I had the same 195's on Bus wheels, and they were really close to the plates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

My old 65 Riviera had 195/60's up front, and 205/65's out back but I had the wheel centers moved inward 3/4" in the hoops to give springplate clearance.

Here's the stance. Flipped spindles and 68 beetle trans, long/long axles, modified axle tubes and spring plates. Not offset spring plates, just notched.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Culito

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

That's pretty sweet, and what I was going after. I don't really like the "rubber band" look.
johnnypan wrote:
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
That's pretty sweet, and what I was going after. I don't really like the "rubber band" look.

That is exactly what I was trying to avoid, and it worked. I like the tire to fill the wheel well, and the bus to still be driveable on everyday roads.
73sparks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

evening guys, having a bit h of time with my rear tranny set up on my bus
bought offset springplates with a 67 type1 on my 1960 bus.
when I went to put tires on they press against spring plate and toe in bigtime.
wide five guy arron,I think. says to use spacers,I cant see this making all the much of a difference.
any ideas.

type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Option #1: Thing Brakes

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=341707

Option #2: 4 lug brakes & 4-5 bolt adapter/spacer

Option #3: what you have now with a spacer

I have done #1 and #2
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Option #2 is the most common and least expensive. Another option is 4 lug type 3 brakes with a 4-5 lug adapter. The advantage is having larger braking surface, too. You can also do 5 lug type 3 drums, but they can be pricey.
73sparks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

so I am going with option 3 spacer, my question is what length lug nut
do I use with spacer.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

73sparks wrote:
so I am going with option 3 spacer, my question is what length lug nut
do I use with spacer.

Can't tell if you are using lug bolts or studs with lug nuts, as your photo is blurry. If you go the spacer route, you may need to install studs and use lug nuts to hold the wheel (not sure if extra length lug bolts are available). Length of stud will be determined by the thickness of the spacer.
kombi kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

before: bone stock 1962 kombi
after: vintage warehouse 4" beam, flipped spindles, old speed spring adapters, 1968 wide axle, 185's front/145's rear of 5.5 BRM's, black KYB's all the way around, stock height steering box with a skid plate from boat yard!

I asked god for my first VW, I know he doesn't work that way so I stole a bug and asked for forgiveness!

my "car guy 401k"
1963 kombi (now running and driving
1956 oval sad to see it go!
1966 ghia coupe
1963 bug (sold at prado)
1968 porsche 912
1964 super stock dodge factory light weight 426cu 425hp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWcollector1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: can someone help with correct cable size for e brake Reply with quote

Anyone got the correct cable lengths to use with lowered straight axle kit for e brake handle on splitty?

Wanted: VW dealership items: giveaways, advertising pieces, literature, postcards, business cards, photos, signage, books, badges, pins, coins, pens, lighters, keychains, etc.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: can someone help with correct cable size for e brake Reply with quote

vwnut_98 wrote:
Anyone got the correct cable lengths to use with lowered straight axle kit for e brake handle on splitty?

What year bus and what year trans/brakes?
VWcollector1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

1961 crew cab. Installed a Benco freeway flyer tranny and used a bug straight axle and type III brakes.

Wanted: VW dealership items: giveaways, advertising pieces, literature, postcards, business cards, photos, signage, books, badges, pins, coins, pens, lighters, keychains, etc.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

There is a specific thread about this exact situation. I cannot seem to find it. I will keep looking, but if anyone else knows what I am talking about, please jump in.

You may need to do some custom work with your cables. The answer is out there. I have done a big nut trans in a 57 bus and used buggy style brake cable shortening adapters with good results. Your situation is similar.
WideFive
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

'64-'67 cables and cable spacers.

'61 was the transition year.... If you're cable mounts on the handle are under the cab floor, you'll need to shorten the cables. If they are in the cab, no change in cable length should be required.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWcollector1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Thanks all for your help on this issue. The cables are under the bus and come up through the floor. I purchased the right cables, but they came up short. So you are saying to get '64-'67 cables with spacers? Any idea where I can buy those?

Thanks,
Brendan

german_metal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Hi-

Does anyone have a recommendation regarding tire sidewall strength and size for the rear? I have a lowered '59 camper that the PO put bug axles on so there's plenty of clearance to the body with the wide 5, 5.5 rim, but the tires seem like they are not strong enough on the sides for the weight. I searched but I'm not coming up with anything for lowered camper and tire ratings for sidewall strength.

Thanks in advance!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 55 of 60

Jump to: