Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

the weight of the bus does not change when it is lowered. you will need to find a tire that matches the original tires as far as load index goes. Don't put tires for a 3000 pound subcompact car on a bus that can way 4400 pounds.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
german_metal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Thanks, I realize the weight doesn't change when lowering. I'm looking for recommendations on tire sizes, a brand, and that has strong enough sidewalls for a lowered bus that needs to handle the kind of weight that a camper has compared to say a single cab (when empty). I don't think a stock height bus with those rated tires will fit on my lowered bus.

Thanks!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

german_metal wrote:
Hi-

Does anyone have a recommendation regarding tire sidewall strength and size for the rear? I have a lowered '59 camper that the PO put bug axles on so there's plenty of clearance to the body with the wide 5, 5.5 rim, but the tires seem like they are not strong enough on the sides for the weight. I searched but I'm not coming up with anything for lowered camper and tire ratings for sidewall strength.

Thanks in advance!

There is a bunch of info about this in the tire threads, but the basic breakdown is this: You will not find a reinforced or C or D rated sidewall in low profile tire sizes. Trucks/vans that require those tires don't use those tire sizes.

The good thing is that by design, a low profile tire like that used for you lowered bus, already has a stiff sidewall. 50-55-60 series tires tend to be fairly stiff if they are a sports car oriented design. Stay away from cheap tires for a basic honda civic.
german_metal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
german_metal wrote:
Hi-

Does anyone have a recommendation regarding tire sidewall strength and size for the rear? I have a lowered '59 camper that the PO put bug axles on so there's plenty of clearance to the body with the wide 5, 5.5 rim, but the tires seem like they are not strong enough on the sides for the weight. I searched but I'm not coming up with anything for lowered camper and tire ratings for sidewall strength.

Thanks in advance!

There is a bunch of info about this in the tire threads, but the basic breakdown is this: You will not find a reinforced or C or D rated sidewall in low profile tire sizes. Trucks/vans that require those tires don't use those tire sizes.

The good thing is that by design, a low profile tire like that used for you lowered bus, already has a stiff sidewall. 50-55-60 series tires tend to be fairly stiff if they are a sports car oriented design. Stay away from cheap tires for a basic honda civic.

Thank you very much cdennisg for the information. I, for some reason, couldn’t find that. I have 60’s on there now but they appear to be cheap ones. I’ll look for sone better quality tires of the same size. Any vendor recommendations?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

german_metal wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
german_metal wrote:
Hi-

Thanks in advance!

Thank you very much cdennisg for the information. I, for some reason, couldn’t find that. I have 60’s on there now but they appear to be cheap ones. I’ll look for sone better quality tires of the same size. Any vendor recommendations?

I like Cooper tires. I have run Michelin and Bridgestone with good results, too.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

german_metal wrote:
Thanks, I realize the weight doesn't change when lowering. I'm looking for recommendations on tire sizes, a brand, and that has strong enough sidewalls for a lowered bus that needs to handle the kind of weight that a camper has compared to say a single cab (when empty). I don't think a stock height bus with those rated tires will fit on my lowered bus.

Thanks!

i think you missed what i was trying to say.... the load index of a say 185/14c tire that would be stock replacement for a Split or bay bus in germany has a load index of 102. A passenger tire may have a load index of 88 or so. The closer you can get to a load index of 102 the better the tire will handle the weight of a loaded bus

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Filipke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Does anyone have recomandations on tire sizes?

I have 5x205 original 14inch wheels. 5j

Irs with type 3 drums at the back with adjustable spring plates

In the front dropped spindels with adjustable beam. (No steeringbox adjustments)

Painted my wheels in the bottom original color of my bus (mousse Grey)
And i would like to instal white walls so still need to have Some space for these...

Thanks for the info.

I was thinking 195/65/14 back
165/55/14 front...
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

You are probably in the ballpark with the sizes listed, but I'm pretty sure you will not find those in white walls.
Filipke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

I al gonna place white walls by atlas.
Also did this in my bug wheels and i am very happy with the result...
see picture my bug wheels on the bus...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

AKA Port-A-Walls.
brokevwguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

any opinions on these. I'm only using flipped spindles and an adjustable spring plate. I do not know what is a good shock to use and was given these as an option. Just want to know before I order these. thanks.
https://www.amazon.com/Empi-Coil-Over-Shocks-Front...&psc=1

1961 Standard
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

I'd use stock shocks if all you've done in front is drop spindles
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

I have finished the final iteration of my suspension, mostly just tuning left.

Front suspension specs: wheels O.Z Fittipaldi 8.5” x 17”,tires 235/40/17
928S4 upper and lower arms, spindles, Brembo calipers, Rabbit rack&pinion
Bilstein coil-overs 700# springs, 1.25” hollow splined sway bar .188” wall.

Rear suspension specs: wheels O.Z. Fittipaldi 9”x17”, tires 255/40/17
944S2 torsion housing, stock torsion springs, early offset 944 aluminum arms, S2 Brembo calipers. 1.5 ratio rocker arms connecting to Bilstein coil-overs 600# springs, 16mm 944S2 sway bar.

wardvwracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

I'm looking to have a pair of stock 15" bus rims widened to 6", but I'm having trouble finding a place to do it. I am being told that finding a source for the right size "cans" (the actual rim part) is the problem. They aren't out there any longer.

The VW center is an odd size and today's suppliers for the rim part (the "can") don't manufacture them anymore.

Anyone out there have a source?
Can anyone confirm that these rims are no longer being made?

Years back I used a place out in Fontana CA that did up a pair of smoothie's for me at 6", but I can't find the place (out of business).
1969 Beetle Convertible
63 11-Window Kombi Bus
Cornpanzers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

I think W.W. (Wolfsburg West) re pops those rims.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Busted-bolt wrote:
I think W.W. (Wolfsburg West) re pops those rims.

He is looking for someone to widen a stock rim, not just to buy stock rims.

I have heard of wheel shops adding a strip of metal into the hoop to widen them, that way the whole hoop needn't be replaced. Not sure if anyone still does that.
samotorsport
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

So here is my split.
Flipped spindles stock beam , running on 165/50/15 on 5,5 x 15 ET (offset) , but it drives like sh&%t like this , alignment is spot on .
Therefore I will switch over to 4,5 x 15 ET25 with different tires on
Was thinking about 165/60/15 but not sure if it wont rub inside the arches as I don't run a narrowed beam.
Anybody has a similar setup and can give me some advise ?
Thanks in advance
Sam

1970 Karmann Ghia 14
Stephbong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

I've 165/65 on 5.5 front with og beam dropped spindles adjustable if needed and no rubbing at all
samotorsport
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

What offset do you run ?
What do you mean with adjustable ?
1970 Karmann Ghia 14
Stephbong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

By adjustable I mean "with an adjuster" in the middle of the beam so I can play with the height a little bit if needed.
I don't know the offset right now, but it's sprintstars 5.205
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 56 of 60

Jump to: