Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Your Volkswagen Pet Peeves
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoubleJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: your volkswagen pet peeves Reply with quote

Just removed that lower portion of tin that goes underneath the crank pully...with channel locks. No way was I removing my exhaust and crank pulley just to yoink that little bit of sheetmetal. I said a lot of bad words. I guess this is more of a rant than a pet peeve, so my pet peeve is silly engineering.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIN0qtD-gUOPQesXTO-WMYg/videos
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: your volkswagen pet peeves Reply with quote

DoubleJ wrote:
Just removed that lower portion of tin that goes underneath the crank pully...with channel locks. No way was I removing my exhaust and crank pulley just to yoink that little bit of sheetmetal. I said a lot of bad words. I guess this is more of a rant than a pet peeve, so my pet peeve is silly engineering.

Sounds to me like it's not the Engineer being silly but the mechanic.

My Pet Peeve? Son, you shouldn't drive that yer axle is broke.. (Beetle was lowered)
usmc1345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: your volkswagen pet peeves Reply with quote

I can't stand when people tell me to put a porsche motor in my bug. Go put a Ford motor in your Chevy.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: your volkswagen pet peeves Reply with quote

These are related to driving our topless Manx copy.

"Don't you have to wear helmets in that thing?"
My reply is "Are helmets required in convertibles now?"

"Is that a Volkswagen?"
It has a VW sign on the front and a Volkswagen logo on the rear, seems obvious to me... Rolling Eyes

"Can you drive that on the road?"
"No, actually I pushed it out here, the license plate is fake."

"Don't you have a roof for that thing?"
"No! If I want a roof I will take the Jetta."
"But what do you do when it rains?"
"What do the bikers do?"

Here is one that is starting to get under my skin lately.

"Don't you get a lot of bugs in your teeth?"
I am going to start replying "Ya but sometimes I drive sitting down!"
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: your volkswagen pet peeves Reply with quote

I know this post is going to rub some of you the wrong way but... I have been a fan of air cooled VWs since the mid '60s and I have many many fond memories of them. I am also a licensed Bodyman by trade so, with this background maybe you can see why I feel this way.

Whenever I see a "patina-ed" VW all rusted up with bent rear axles running on the sidewalls instead of the tire treads I want to slap someone! What a way to abuse a classic icon of the car world! Treat the old girl with a little dignity please, would you drag your Grandmother out of the nursing home in her nighty, hobbling around on her broken down arthritic legs and parade her down main street? How about some respect then?

When I see or hear of guys getting pulled over by the law and told to "Get this thing off the road before you kill someone!" I just smile!

This is just the perspective of a guy that spent his youth riding a bike to the local VW dealer, looking at all those shiny examples of German engineering and dreaming of someday owning one. No intension to start a debate, we already know there are two sides to this.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: your volkswagen pet peeves Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Treat the old girl with a little dignity please, would you drag your Grandmother out of the nursing home in her nighty, hobbling around on her broken down arthritic legs and parade her down main street?

I might have to add this to my signature line along with another one of your quotes! Very Happy

But I do agree with you. VWs are the most abused cars in the world. That's my pet peeve.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: your volkswagen pet peeves Reply with quote

Here we gave them Segways
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: your volkswagen pet peeves Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:
But I do agree with you. VWs are the most abused cars in the world. That's my pet peeve.

Ya, I know, it's art, new trend/fashion, repurposed or whatever... and I'm just an Old Coot stuck in the past but... it still hurts to see them like that!
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: your volkswagen pet peeves Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I know this post is going to rub some of you the wrong way but... I have been a fan of air cooled VWs since the mid '60s and I have many many fond memories of them. I am also a licensed Bodyman by trade so, with this background maybe you can see why I feel this way.

Whenever I see a "patina-ed" VW all rusted up with bent rear axles running on the sidewalls instead of the tire treads I want to slap someone! What a way to abuse a classic icon of the car world! Treat the old girl with a little dignity please, would you drag your Grandmother out of the nursing home in her nighty, hobbling around on her broken down arthritic legs and parade her down main street? How about some respect then?

When I see or hear of guys getting pulled over by the law and told to "Get this thing off the road before you kill someone!" I just smile!

This is just the perspective of a guy that spent his youth riding a bike to the local VW dealer, looking at all those shiny examples of German engineering and dreaming of someday owning one. No intension to start a debate, we already know there are two sides to this.

Wow! Where where the hell do I begin with this one??

Aside from, "I totally agree," there's not much else to say Smile

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: your volkswagen pet peeves Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

I get what you're saying. I just don't like any car, vw or otherwise that gets so fucked with it's useless or a real chore to drive...like getting the angle of attack right so you don't high center your dumped ride

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: your volkswagen pet peeves Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

Yikes-------somebody that is crabbier than me. Shocked
I'll bet you'll hate my new bumber sticker.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: your volkswagen pet peeves Reply with quote

usmc1345 wrote:
I can't stand when people tell me to put a porsche motor in my bug. Go put a Ford motor in your Chevy.

I tell them, "why pay 4x as much for half the horsepower".

Oh.. "F" Herbie.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: your volkswagen pet peeves Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

I see nothing wrong with the paint in this photo.

There is a huge difference in my mind between a car that has aged gracefully, is well used and is showing it's years and one that has been intentionally butchered to make it look "vintage surviver". The former I have no problem with, the latter drives be up the wall!

I saw pictures last summer of a local "VW show and shine" event where they gave the "Best Patina" trophy to a guy that had obviouly ground the heck out of his Bus paint job with an angle grinder, put it out in the rain for a couple years, then presented it as is. No Buddy! That's butchered not natural weathering, you may have fooled an green judge or two but you didn't fool the rest of us. You intentionally disfigured a perfectly good Bay Window to make it a rust bucket piece of crap.

You took a nice lovely old matronly Queen of the '70s, pulled her pants down and exposed her in public!

Sorry - I just can't look... I'm not that kind of guy!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Your Volkswagen Pet Peeves Reply with quote

I bash patina cars with a 5 pound sledge.

If they protest, I say:

“That’s dentina “
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: your volkswagen pet peeves Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
iowegian wrote:

There is a huge difference in my mind between a car that has aged gracefully, is well used and is showing it's years and one that has been intentionally butchered to make it look "vintage surviver". The former I have no problem with, the latter drives be up the wall!

I saw pictures last summer of a local "VW show and shine" event where they gave the "Best Patina" trophy to a guy that had obviouly ground the heck out of his Bus paint job with an angle grinder, put it out in the rain for a couple years, then presented it as is. No Buddy! That's butchered not natural weathering, you may have fooled an green judge or two but you didn't fool the rest of us. You intentionally disfigured a perfectly good Bay Window to make it a rust bucket piece of crap.

You took a nice lovely old matronly Queen of the '70s, pulled her pants down and exposed her in public!

Another picture of the old girl's "patina"---------(although you can scarcely see her in the Beetle)
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Volkswagen Pet Peeves Reply with quote

Nice car Chuck mines a little newer but it’s patina too.

Yes that’s death foam rust it’s part of the look Very Happy
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Volkswagen Pet Peeves Reply with quote

Sorry, both those cars are just a bit thread bare from normal use. I do not see the typical patina on either of them. Drive them with pride!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: your volkswagen pet peeves Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
oprn wrote:
iowegian wrote:

Another picture of the old girl's "patina"---------(although you can scarcely see her in the Beetle)

Is that a red 66? First car I ever drove...sigh.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Your Volkswagen Pet Peeves Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Sorry, both those cars are just a bit thread bare from normal use. I do not see the typical patina on either of them. Drive them with pride!

Threadbare would be a better description because according to Webster’s the definition of patina is : (1) A thin usually green layer that forms on the metals copper and bronze when they are exposed to salt air for a long time. (2) A shiny or dark surface that forms on something such as wood or leather that is used for a long time.

So the next time you hear the word patina being thrown around you’ll know better. 😀 Henceforth I shall refer to my car as a rusty POS.
Endeavor to learn something new each day.
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Your Volkswagen Pet Peeves Reply with quote

I heard something from a fellow VW owner the other day that bothers me. "I only fix my VW if it's broken."
Why not try to make it nicer? Why not try to make it better or more reliable or just better looking? Why have a collector car if your just going to let it rust away in your driveway?
I see too much of this.

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 16

Jump to: