Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Source for flat Westy pop top seal ??
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Source for flat Westy pop top seal ?? Reply with quote

Anyone know of a supplier for the OG style flat seal across the top of the roof on a westy? My searching has come up empty.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
atmellovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try West Coast Metric?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that is the one place I forgot to check.

Anyone seen their product? Close to stock and not the universal round bead stuff ?? How about the side pop top seal ?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Birdibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of two suppliers, GoWesty and the Bus Depot
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bus depot stuff looks wrong. I'm sure it works but I'm looking for an equivalent to the glue on OG. Can't see the profile in gowesty's photo, anybody used it?

Слава Україні!
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bus Depot flat seal works great.

I don't know of any supplier of the original style seal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kim57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK these seem to be the best firm for seals: http://www.status-vw.co.uk/shop/index.html
Birdibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my photo of the GoWesty seals I bought for my '74 Westy. The instruction call for using glue on the top flat piece, but I didn't use it. The seal seems secure as is.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

aircedar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bus Depot poptop seals are far superior -- and much closer to stock -- than the GoWesty ones. In fact, the GoWesty flat seal is /ugly/.
vwbusbusvw
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aircedar wrote:
The Bus Depot poptop seals are far superior -- and much closer to stock -- than the GoWesty ones. In fact, the GoWesty flat seal is /ugly/.

Ugly? That's a weird thing to say. Jackass.

OMVWC
Quote:
stuped is stuped duse
Birdibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the luggage rack seal offered by busdepot, but I'm content with the GoWesty flat seal. The squared off part flattens out when you attach it to the top and helps hold it on. The photo shows the seals untrimmed and still rolled up, so there is some tape glue you can see. That cleaned up nicely.
aircedar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwbusbusvw wrote:
aircedar wrote:

Ugly? That's a weird thing to say. Jackass.

Well. Considering the point is both form and function... I found their seal to be. Frankly. Ugly. Wasn't a personal attack, just a thoughtful observation from someone who happens to be familiar with both versions.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone,

I've got function now in the form of the seal busdeopt sold a few years ago (middle one in photo).

What I'm after is original appearance, gowesty's looks close, anybody have a pic of WCM's?

Слава Україні!
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Thanks everyone,

I've got function now in the form of the seal busdeopt sold a few years ago (middle one in photo).

What I'm after is original appearance, gowesty's looks close, anybody have a pic of WCM's?

If it is supposed to be the flat seal that goes between the poptop and luggage rack, and it looks like the middle one in the above photo, you didn't get it from us (or you ordered the wrong seal). That is a poptop seal, and although many other vendors sell it to replace the flat seal, we don't.

GoWesty has a pretty good flat seal (pictured on the right). But theirs requires gluing, whereas ours looks similar but has an impregnated aluminum clip so it grips tightly without glue.

There are other differences between our seals and everyone else's. The others sell the same seal for both the poptop and luggage rack, and we don't. (Notice that in the picture of the GoWesty set, two of the three seals are identical.) In our case, all three seals are different, each specifically suited for its purpose. Our luggage rack seal lacks the insulation bulb (as did the original), because such a bulb can block rainwater drainage and cause rust and debris accumulation under your luggage rack. (Look at your luggage rack. It has holes in the bottom for rainwater to go through and exit into the rain gutters. If you obstruct the edges of the luggage rack with a big insulation bulb, how will the rainwater get into the rain gutters?) Also, our seals have a smoother finish that more closely matches the original German seals - not a pebbled finish like the ones that everyone else sells.

Poptop seals were the Bus Depot's very first product, a decade ago. I designed them myself, because I'd tried the other seals on my own Bus and found all of them lacking in both functionality and stock look. A decade later, our seals still look AND work closer to stock then any other product on the market. Each seal is specialized for its purpose, as with the original design. But since they require no glue for installation, and don't rust, they're actually better than stock. (Do I sound like a proud parent? Smile )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks Ron,
I'm sorry, I didn't intend to mislead anyone.

I thought I got it from you but now I'm not so sure. (may have been a deal in the bargain bin).

I'm very happy with the round bead seal and will no doubt end up with some of your flat stuff as well unless I find an exact duplicate of the OG stuff.

Слава Україні!
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No apology necessary; I just wanted to set the record straight to avoid any confusion about what we sell. As for the original German flat seal, you will not find one by itself, as it never existed as a separate part from VW. It came connected to the 3-sided poptop seal, so you had to buy an entire poptop seal to get that section. When last available (not sure if available anymore; nobody's asked) the poptop seal was about $600 (!!!!!) from Volkswagen ... and since it used steel rather than aluminum clips, it would soon start to rust out and sag, leaving you right back where you started (but $600 poorer). This is one of those rather rare cases where OE German isn't even worth seeking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
billbeemer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A slightly related question...

I have the opportunity to reset the placement of the rear luggage rack on my 1971 westy, and was curious if busdepot or anyone else had a suggested distance between the two fiberglass pieces. e.g. should the two pieces completely overlap, partially overlap, or just barely touch? (this is, of course, before the seal is put in place)

PS, I just put in the order for all three seals from busdepot
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: