Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BUS vs. Vanagon....which one to buy?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paintedbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having owned both bays and vanagons, i am inclined to go with what i have now... A bay. As I am soley responsible for the mechanical well being of my bus, i went back to the aircooled motor for the ease of fixing and finding parts.

My experience with vanagons includes both the aircooled variety in the shape of an 81 passenger and an 87 full westy, which was delightful and very comfortable, but an endless drain on my wallet. Despite being ugly as sin, my primer and dent covered 81 was dependable and was very comfortable to drive.

I did go back to aircooled power though, and if it interests the (probably now long gone) original poster, i have included the best part of the vanagon into my late bay. Those (of course) being the cushy captains chairs. ... And Besides those, a notable amount of sound deadening material, a functional suspension system, and THE CORRECT TIRES, there not much difference in the comfort level of my 78 and my long gone 87. Its just slower, which is fine by me.

Smiles and waves per mile are purely a function of your location. My 87 always commanded attention, but thats because they are rare up here. My 78, 71 and other 78 all got plenty of waves too. Since i roadtrip my bus about 10k miles a year, i can tell you that you will get waves in DE from bays and vanagons as thats moonie country (full moon bus club) and they love all buses down there!

~"Paintedbus" Ken~
The Mobile Muralist
WWW.PAINTEDBUSART.COM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Esher127
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly all of my friends have Vanagons, and I have a Bay. I love my Bay, but there's a lot of times I wish I had a Vanagon instead. Every time I'm in a Vanagon I'm amazed at how BIG it is! Plus being able to go over 60mph is kinda nice.

On the other hand, my Bay looks about 185732439x better than a Vanagon, it's easy and cheap to work on, and it seems 'special'.

So... the only logical conclusion is that I need to own BOTH!
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bay for the summer, vanagon in the winter....done!!
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved! Buy both!!!!

I cant stand those rubber bumpers,BTW.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CessnaJon wrote:
Problem solved! Buy both!!!!

I cant stand those rubber bumpers,BTW.

those are on Carats.
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CessnaJon wrote:
A lot of Vanagons running around with Subaru power?

Theres also a lot of bays with engine conversions too.

A waterboxer in a Vanagon can take more abuse and neglect than an aircooled bay, and either will go 100k miles with minimal attention.

Personally, I dont know how anyone could remove the best part of a bus(air or water cooled) and install a Subaru,Ford, or whatever. Just my opnion.

I dont know much about Subarus- I'm sure they make some fine engines. But, you won't find one under my Z-bed.

Read about the Subaru engines. They'll amaze you: they're what VW would have done if they'd had the sense to stick with a boxer engine.

A bay for me, not only because of aesthetics, but also because of my personal nostalgia. Call it an early mid-life crisis. But instead of xcountry-camping by myself (as I did in a 71 bus twenty years ago) I'll enjoy taking my daughter camping; something that she is stoked for and is hectoring me to finish the 77 so we can get out and go. A Vanagon is a logical evolution in design from the Split & Bay, and a lot more practical in most ways that matter, and T3 owners are just as rabid about them as Bay and Split owners are. But they not as interesting to me, and that's all.

M
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant the rubber bumpers on my MGB.

Carats/Multivans have fiberglass bumpers.

I have the attention span of an 8 year old- sorry to get off topic.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whichever you find the better deal on is the one you should get.

I love them both. if you care about your vehicles, either will do anything you want it to.

that said I like the way the bays look better and I like the way the Vanagon handles better. for a big guy sleeping in the vanagon is more roomy if you have to share side/side space.

spell check in Chrome wants me to fix the word "vanagon" with "vagina" instead, so you know how it feels.
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:

spell check in Chrome wants me to fix the word "vanagon" with "vagina" instead, so you know how it feels.

So it's built to take a pounding? Cool
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha!
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: