Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

hot spark svda distributor
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
f1wanabe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: hot spark svda distributor Reply with quote

I should have updated my previous post earlier. As I mentioned, I bought the whole combo pack from Hot spark, my bus died while driving, no response from Hot Spark, etc. They did get back to me after I found that the igniter was rubbing on the magnet sleeve and must have overheated. It came from Hot Spark gapped incorrectly. They sent me a replacement ignitor, I installed and gapped it myself and its been running great for months. As people say, not much increase in performance but runs well, no maintenance and better fuel economy for sure. The advance seems to be pretty good for the 1600 engine as well. I still keep my bosch points distributor under the back seat just in case but so far so good.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: hot spark svda distributor Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
It's actually not terribly surprising, seeing as a bus is a big metal box (think: Faraday cage - any charge stays in the outside surface [maybe some leakage through the windows]). If anything, I would think that tire loss, as the bolt arcs from the rims to ground across / through the tires, would be an issue.

Now electronic losses caused by the EMP pulse from the bolt could be an issue. Did the radio still work? It has an external antenna pointing towards the sky...

actually it did work. All I remember was that the lightning was all around us for about an hour. We had numerous hits near us so that I pulled the old trick of turning all the interior lights on including fluorescents so I would not be blinded by near strikes. One turned the bus into the inside of the sun and while I was blinded the bus swerved. I thought initially it might be wind but I had some neurological issues with my left arm later which was on the window sill at the time it happened. The next time I went to wash the bus the area around the left rear top was all discolored and had tracks. I probably got just a tiny bit on the arm and that was what I thought was a big wind gust. There was not a lot of gusts that night, just pouring rain and tornados after leaving Oklahoma City going north east. The radio was on AM at the time and it was totally full of static while trying to listen to weather - however the fact it hit the left rear and not the right front is probably why it survived. I keep my antennas at 30" which doesn't stick up above the bus. Other than the tornados that night I felt pretty safe from the lightning because I understood it was essentially a Faraday cage. Funny thing about that too. I knew a DJ who was an all night guy at a station out in the desert - did DJ and managed the transmitter at night. One night the area got hit hard by lightning. He had about a half dozen bolts that zinged thru the inside of the station so he went and hid in the big Faraday cages the transmitting equipment was housed in and watched about a dozen more zingers in the room. Not something to play with - probably lucky I am here - as a four year old lightning split a Cherry tree about 3 or 4 feet from my bed. I was inside and it was outside with brick in between.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: hot spark svda distributor Reply with quote

It's actually not terribly surprising, seeing as a bus is a big metal box (think: Faraday cage - any charge stays in the outside surface [maybe some leakage through the windows]). If anything, I would think that tire loss, as the bolt arcs from the rims to ground across / through the tires, would be an issue.

Now electronic losses caused by the EMP pulse from the bolt could be an issue. Did the radio still work? It has an external antenna pointing towards the sky...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: hot spark svda distributor Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
The 13.7 maximum voltage spec would be a red flag for me, as a VR should regulate between 13.8 and 14.4 volts to fully charge the battery. Any good ignition module should be able to take 18 volts (at least short term), just to avoid 'warranty' returns. The automotive electrical world is harsh, and anything playing there needs to be able to take it.

FWIW my stock 1971 bay suffered a lightning strike in Oklahoma - It looked like being inside the sun, the bus swerved violently as the potential in the car, and as part of the strike went thru my left side caused me to twitch - all I could see was the inside of the sun for about 5 or 6 seconds. We were in a heavy storm out in the middle of nowhere on the Will Rogers turnpike, with a tornado popping power lines and removing houses less than a half mile from us 2am in the morning and no place to hide. But - those old faithful points and the 38 amp generator just kept chugging. How is that for surviving over voltage...

Really
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: hot spark svda distributor Reply with quote

my red flag is at the bottom of the application page,
where they mention a 'Limited Warranty' period of 90 days. : l
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: hot spark svda distributor Reply with quote

The 13.7 maximum voltage spec would be a red flag for me, as a VR should regulate between 13.8 and 14.4 volts to fully charge the battery. Any good ignition module should be able to take 18 volts (at least short term), just to avoid 'warranty' returns. The automotive electrical world is harsh, and anything playing there needs to be able to take it.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: hot spark svda distributor Reply with quote

Sorry you had to learn that the hard way.

BTW welcome! Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
f1wanabe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: hot spark svda distributor Reply with quote

Just had the same thing occur after about a month of driving well. Got the whole kit with SVDA, Coil, plugs and wires. I also ordered the resistor that they recommend if voltage is over 13.7 volts also. Bus died a mile from home Sunday. Got it running enough to get home. Swapped to the original points distributor and its fine. Hot spark emailed the whole "Spiel" about correct coil, using a resistor, etc. They tried to tell me that I must be using a cheap chinese voltage regulator to produce high voltage when I have an expensive new Bosch unit installed in may. I asked for a new ignitor as opposed to the whole SVDA. got no response other than a shipping notification. Poor customer service, questionable product.
donzi33z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: $50 piece of junk Reply with quote

Bought a hot spark It worked well for a few months It started dying out when the engine got hot. I have emailed the guy for a replacement. He tried to tell me I had too much voltage going to it. Performed the voltage /ohm tests and it was within specs. Wound up buying the EMPI drop in distributor The fit was a little tight but it runs very well with no further issue. I do not recommend this product

Skip
1978 Super
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over here in the UK we also get Accuspark brand. Basically a Pertronix clone but with thermal paste under the module . I have run both Petronix (until idiot wire swap) and then Accuspark which is half the price.
Both of these work well with a Bosch stock coil and with no condensor.

The misfire and bucking could be breakdown of the coil due to the higher spark voltage with the electronic module, or a fault in the ignition sensor in the distributor.

The rubber grommet with the ignition module is to protect the wires going through the hole in the side of the distributor. Need to make sure the wires inside the distributor have a big enough loop in them to allow the vacuum advance to operate smoothly without pulling on the wires.

THe great thing with the Accuspark was it has 'adaptive dwell' which means that at low RPM the dwell is less than 45 degrees as it does not need to spend that long loading up the energy in the field on the coil primary (once the current maxes out with the points closed, the remainder of the dwell time is heating the coil) and it then maxes out at 40-50 degrees at higher RPM. And when the engine stops, the current cuts. So no more hot coils, and the module doesnt need to dump as much heat.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
dweller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aryue wrote:
That weld sounds like it was the work of the DPO's mechanic trying to flat rate the job.

whenever they were changed last, probably would have been a $3. total parts diff.

dp
dweller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitty wrote:
Dweller,

FWIW, I used the Hot-Spark kit with my SVDA in a 1600 and it ran fine for about 50 miles before the symptoms you described started happening. The owner of H.S. suggested using a ballast resistor....I wondered why I would need another ballast resistor if my coil had the correct impedence? Plain and simply put, the problem progressed until I switched back to points and condenser....no more problems. Why doesn't Compu-Fire or Pertronix suggest to use a thermal paste and ballast resistor in their instructions?....Most likely because they are a better product. Just my .02.

thanks, i'm considering a different setup and points/cond in the meantime. The bus has enough problems w/out introducing more, as you say, 2 steps forward, 3 back.

dp
aryue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That weld sounds like it was the work of the DPO's mechanic trying to flat rate the job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TristanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dweller,

FWIW, I used the Hot-Spark kit with my SVDA in a 1600 and it ran fine for about 50 miles before the symptoms you described started happening. The owner of H.S. suggested using a ballast resistor....I wondered why I would need another ballast resistor if my coil had the correct impedence? Plain and simply put, the problem progressed until I switched back to points and condenser....no more problems. Why doesn't Compu-Fire or Pertronix suggest to use a thermal paste and ballast resistor in their instructions?....Most likely because they are a better product. Just my .02.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dweller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falling headfirst into the "what where you fucking thinking?" catagory, my bus's PO or his POS mechanic decided to instead of paying $2.00 for a pin, and .95cents for a c-clip, decided to weld the pin onto the handbrake cable lever. Must have been the last pair of shoes he'd ever needed.

When i first saw it, i couldn't tell what it was holding the pin in, and then when i got the shoe off, prayed it was solder.... nope, welded. 45 minutes of cutting w/ my dremel finally cut off the offending blob to free the lever from the old shoe. Now will have to wait the week for the replacement parts from BD to finish a brake job. I ordered a pair...

any guess what i'll find on the other side's brakes? Rolling Eyes

on edit: yep, on the other side too... what an idiot...

dp

Last edited by dweller on Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
dweller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dweller wrote:
i knew i shoulda searched...
dp

found it.
http://homepage.mac.com/ratwell/VacuumHoses/13-79VacuumDiagram2.jpg

the yellow lines.
dweller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quick question as i work on some hoses: you said

"A couple of more things...the distributor vacuum can should be able to hold a vacuum induced on it from a hand vacuum pump as should the EEC valve in the air cleaner that is plugged into the ported vacuum from the thottle body to the distributor. Sometimes the seals go bad and they leak vacuum. "

i have one hose running from dist.vac can to throttle body. the EEC appears to be hoseless on a small nipple . I have a T i can put in line, but are you saying it should also be in the line that goes from dist.vac. can to throttle body?

I have a larger hose running from EEC to charcoal canister, on that same EEC there is a small nipple coming from the face of the EEC, no hose.

looking at this pic: http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VacuumHoses/VacuumHoses1.jpg

directly behind L (the nipple is hidden) line K goes to dist.... line M goes from vac can to throttle body. I can just Tee line K into M?

next will be looking at the hard lines from evaporative system (that run up into the wheel wells, air intakes on sides, and come into the top of the engine compartment. One side (passenger) small hose leads to the charcoal canister, the other is just open w/ no hose. Can i T those together to the charcoal canister?

i've put a new gasket behind the CSV, but haven't cranked yet to test. Will after getting the hoses all connected.

thanks.
dp
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "bucking" is most likely coming from a poorly connected temp sensor II or a a scratched/worn spot on the AFM or something else causing it to run lean like that.

After you get this figured out, it would be worth it to have the engine /FI combo dialed in with an exhaust gas analyzer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dweller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, i'll go through it again, for what i thought was right before, wasn't.
Took the bus to work tonite, and didn't make it 2 miles before BAM...BAM...BAMBAM..BAM. Like a one armed Thor coming from the engine, same as the night before, but way worse. I was doing about 45mph and the engine was bucking HARD constantly. Pulled to a stop and turnaround and coaxed/coasted back home with it. Coasted literally, b/c it would do the BAM/buck at any speed. I'd get a bit of speed up and coast keeping the engine from cutting off, w/ clutch in, till i needed some juice to move some more, buck along and coasted the few miles home. Parked it.

I'll run through the procedure again, and test drive once more, but after that if no improvements will be sending the Hot Spark set back to see if i can get that magic 'second set' others have found to work. Otherwise will try to get my $$ back and invest in a different brand, or use the conventional point/condenser setup.

The 'bucking' is pretty harsh, and i don't want to put this engine through it much more. If it's another problem (other than the new breakerless) it should occur also w/ conventional points. And it hadn't before the new point setup and my fiddling w/ it. So i'll probably try using the old points again to check it out.

I'll deal w/ this over the next 2 days i have off and see what i can find out.
And follow your instructions above w/ the latest details.

The vacumn leak sounds like it is coming from the CSV. I used a clean piece of tubing i had (about 2+ feet leftover from some i used to hook up the charcoal canister and fan housing). Put one end in my good ear outside the eng. compartment, and the other i searched for the source. It's coming from the CSV w/out a doubt. I can hear it w/out the tinhorn tube, but really well w/ the tube since it blocks out any other sounds. So the gasket will be replaced w/ one i make first, and i'll see if i can find the Buick gasket if need be. From what i can tell, the gasket on it now has a dimple in on one side, i think i can detect a bit of space there too, hard to tell, black on black etc.

thanks again for your help. Will update over the next few days.
dp
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dweller wrote:
I loosened the dist. clamp, and moved the dist slightly to check it it was adjustable, took off the hose and cranked it, and it set at 28* at around 3-3500rpms. Didn't have to move the dist again, as i guess i bumped it there at onset. Cut it off and tightened the clamp.

Stop right there. At that point, hook up the vacuum line and use your long screwdriver to adjust the big screw on the throttle body to the correct idle spec of 850 RPMs or so.

Keep in mind that the actual RPM number doesn't matter so much as getting it all in so that the timing light no longer advances.

Then do the "wind it up and back off the throttle" thing and make sure the total does not exceed the 42º.

After you find the vacuum leak, you may want to recheck the timing. Once my CSV gasket problem got resolved, I had to readjust the timing a bit (although not that much).

The reason we do all of this is to make absolutely sure that the engine does not suffer from "pre-ignition" or pinging. Death to an aircooled VW engine.

"The proof of the pudding is in the pie" so as you test drive it, pay careful attention to the performance at wide open throttle and as you back off it for highway cruising.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: