Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ground location for second battery
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ranchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Ground location for second battery Reply with quote

Ok - another installment in my biweekly dumb question series...I've installed a second battery and SurePower 1315 Battery separator under the driver's seat. In order to get the Optima battery to fit without having the terminals stick up out of the access panel, I laid the battery on its side. To do that I had to trim notches to allow the posts to slide down into the compartment. My main question is whether anyone knows the size of the bolt I'm pointing to in the photo. I've tried all sorts of metric bolts to no avail. M10s are too small, M12's don't seem to fit. Is it an M11? Where do I find one? Thanks!
Steve
Salida, CO
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'90 Westy Syncro EJ25 (money pit #1)
'96 FZJ80 (cheap by comparison^^)
'13 Golf R. Daily driver.
rs4-380
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty sure it's a fine pitch m12.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an M11x1.25. Those can be really hard to find. The good news is that a 7/16x20 is a nearly perfect alternative. Those are easy to find.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that your're planning to put a cover or insulation on those open terminals. A piece of stray metal in that area could ruin your whole day.
ranchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: 7/16"-20 worked and final install Reply with quote

Thanks guys. 7/16-20 worked! This is how I dealt with the exposed positive terminals. I wish the Surepower had a cover though. The silver stuff that is still exposed is positive. I'll probably use some liquid electrical tape to cover the exposed bits until I can fashion a better cover.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'90 Westy Syncro EJ25 (money pit #1)
'96 FZJ80 (cheap by comparison^^)
'13 Golf R. Daily driver.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: