Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seat upgrades out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Seat Upgrades for T2 Bay Window Buses? Reply with quote

Why couldn't I find this forum subject? I had to start a new one. Anyone try aftermarket Jeep seats? They're easy to find, cheap, and look nice.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Seat Upgrades for T2 Bay Window Buses? Reply with quote

Zebedee wrote:
tristessa wrote:
Zebedee wrote:
I ran Saab 9000 seats in my westy but the extra height made my head touch the ply rooflining.

I'm running Saab 900NG/9-3 seats grafted to the factory bases in my '75, and the seat bottoms are a good bit lower than the 9000 seat in your picture. I can grab a shot when I go on lunch, don't have one on my phone....

The saab 9000 ones i fitted were nearly 3" higher than the stock seat bases.

Yikes! The 900NG/9-3 seats aren't that tall, but I admit I "cheated" a little -- they're power-adjustable seats with the powered bases left at the junkyard.

I finally got some pictures, work has been crazy and it's dark by the time I get home. Don't mind the crap on the passenger seat, I'm still fine-tuning a projected headlight retrofit...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

inhabor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Seat Upgrades for T2 Bay Window Buses? Reply with quote

Here are my seats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Seat Upgrades for T2 Bay Window Buses? Reply with quote

A topic started here (I believe) about the stock seats being a tad high for us tall folks. Some have gone to Sport seats and maybe used the Vanagon camper seats (swivel type) to lower your seating height. But if you're one of the few that are above 6'4"+ those options may still not be the best possible solution. On a stock seat the sitting posture gets a bit uncomfortable as one contorts ones posture into a slouched neck tilted leaning forward position. It gets painful on long trips. I believe the baywindow bus has the potential to fit us tall guys better, but what's the best way? I still think the stock seat looks the best from any other aftermarket seat so what can be done to the stock seat.

So I began by taking off my driver seat cover to expose all the springs and seeing what modifications can be down. Chopping springs doesn't seem possible and I had no luck from my google searches to find shorter replacement springs.

That's when I thought the guys that "tub/lower" their bus have to deal with a higher seat. So what do they do?

The search began on the web. I ran into many threads talking about modifying the stock seats, but never found a picture of an actual seat modified....... until the other day. I stumbled upon this glorious picture from Volks world. It appears to be 2 1/2"-3" in uncompressed height.

So how'd they do it?? Just foam and perhaps a some sort of underlying carriage to support the foam?? I wonder because that looks like a great solution for us tall guys.

pantone149
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Seat Upgrades for T2 Bay Window Buses? Reply with quote

I was given a nice pair of 81 Vanagon Westy seats (brown "leatherette") to install in my 73 Westy. Since I did not want to destroy the existing seat tracks in the bus, I took the 73 seats, cut apart the frames, and bolted to the 81 seats. It took a heck of a lot of work, but the seats slide up and back as they should, lock in place, recline OK, and they are comfy. The biggest downside was the labor and the fact that the seat cushions are taller than the original seats. I'd look for seats with a shorter seat cushion, like maybe from a Miata or other small car. I'd think you still have to do a lot of custom work if you want to maintain reclining and sliding.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Sprinter seats from Düsseldorf in a bay. Reply with quote

H8 Ashbury wrote:
I can't find a single thread or mention...

Does anyone use front seats from a T1N Mercedes Benz Sprinter for drivers/passenger front seats?

The T1N seats are utilitarian and very comfortable without being the least bit plush or tall, or having a racecar look. A yard near me has a T1N and also a 78 Champagne, both with front seats. I'm willing to buy 4 seats to make two work in my 78 if necessary, but I was hoping to find a success (or fail) story somewhere or perhaps some freundlich beratung.

To clarify, I'm willing to modify the junkyard seats to fit the bus, but not the other way around. I'd like the ability to slide the originals back on the tracks in the future.

H8 Ashbury wrote:
I'll give it a shot the next time I can get to the yard. I'll report back on how it works out since it looks like I'm the first to try the Sprinter front seats in a bus. Danke.
vwible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat upgrades Seats out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus Reply with quote

My bus is a 1970 passenger walk-through with the high bulkheads behind the stock low-back seats. I really don't want to cut them out to accommodate other seats, due to the safety protection from shifting loads, and wanting to keep the main body shell intact.

Main problem I'm trying to solve is on the passenger side, the shoulder belt runs across the neck of shorter passengers (co-pilot wife). Suggestions for seats that might work are appreciated.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: T2 Front Bucket Seats Newton Commercial Reply with quote

http://www.newtoncomm.co.uk/cars/vw-camper-van/mod...ight-hand/

Captains Chair

Reclining Seats
Vova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Seat Upgrades for T2 Bay Window Buses? Reply with quote

Convoy wrote:
A topic started here (I believe) about the stock seats being a tad high for us tall folks. Some have gone to Sport seats and maybe used the Vanagon camper seats (swivel type) to lower your seating height. But if you're one of the few that are above 6'4"+ those options may still not be the best possible solution. On a stock seat the sitting posture gets a bit uncomfortable as one contorts ones posture into a slouched neck tilted leaning forward position. It gets painful on long trips. I believe the baywindow bus has the potential to fit us tall guys better, but what's the best way? I still think the stock seat looks the best from any other aftermarket seat so what can be done to the stock seat.

So I began by taking off my driver seat cover to expose all the springs and seeing what modifications can be down. Chopping springs doesn't seem possible and I had no luck from my google searches to find shorter replacement springs.

That's when I thought the guys that "tub/lower" their bus have to deal with a higher seat. So what do they do?

The search began on the web. I ran into many threads talking about modifying the stock seats, but never found a picture of an actual seat modified....... until the other day. I stumbled upon this glorious picture from Volks world. It appears to be 2 1/2"-3" in uncompressed height.

So how'd they do it?? Just foam and perhaps a some sort of underlying carriage to support the foam?? I wonder because that looks like a great solution for us tall guys.

Ever find an answer?
https://www.facebook.com/Bay-Area-VW-Owners-1464253410267781/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: 2011- 2015 Chrysler or Dodge 2nd Row Stow n Go Bucket Seats Reply with quote

2011- 2015 Chrysler or Dodge 2nd Row Stow n Go Bucket Seats

town & country Stow and go seats are the current hot ticket in the vanagon front butt comfort.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...p;start=20

small car has the seats & adapters if you want one stop shopping.

here's a great post with images.
simonslp wrote:
Thought I should chime in and add a few pics.

Calfredson, the Arizona-based eBay seller you found is the one I used. I think he strips Town & Countries for handicap van conversions or somesuch. My seats were $300 US plus $125 shipping to Port Angeles Wa. I think the variance in price that you mentioned is partly due to the inclusion (or not) of the metal gubbins at the bottom of the seats, which are part of the stow&go system and not needed for the vanagon install. The seats are heated, leather and so far seem quite comfortable for me (still haven't done any marathon drives, which really caused me discomfort with the stock seats). Will post again when longer drives are done.

To give credit where it's due, much props to Freshdub for the idea and inspiration, and to Alistair for both engineering and realizing the installation. Thanks guys!

There are a bunch of things I really like about these seats... The leather looks and feels good and appears to be good quality, they are slim and firm but yet supportive, they are heated (not yet working, but seemingly possible), and they stow&go (fold up) to create more front space when needed. Oh, and the seats are slimmer with armrests up, allowing the seat to sit straight, not turned, when reversed with the door closed (could never do that with the stock Westy seats...).

Simon

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat upgrades out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus FAQ Reply with quote

Those are nice looking seats. I like how they are bolstered slightly to hold you in.
Thnx for posting
Tcash
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Seat upgrades out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus FAQ Reply with quote

I originally posted this stuff in the Vanagon forums.

vwwestyman wrote:
I bought a pair of seats (unfortunately they cost me quite a bit more than most of you are saying due to a dearth of Eurovans in salvage yards around me).

I'm actually going to install them in my '78 Bus but since I referenced this thread, I figured I'd throw this into here.

I cut the bottom of the foam bottoms to lower the seating position. With the passenger swivel, my head was hitting the headliner, and on the driver side I always sat a little too high with the old Vanagon seats I had in there.

I used a ruler that is 1.25 wide to mark my reference lines, then I got to work with the electric knife. It took a lot of test fitting to the pan to get the contours close enough to get the foam to sit down in the pan.

The seats aren't installed because I'm waiting for the paint to dry on my cut rails. But before I cut the foam on the second cushion, I brought both bottoms out to the bus and set them on the swivel seat. It did significantly change the seating position so that I didn't come close to hitting my head so I'm pretty optimistic that this will work well.

I'm not real great at taking lots of pics while working on a project, but here are the pics I do have.

Both seats cut up. If you look at the one in the background, you can see lines where I cut too much off the sides, and glued it back.

vwwestyman wrote:
And here are the seats in my Bus!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Vova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat upgrades out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus FAQ Reply with quote

Got some Vanagon seats for my 78'. They are a little wider and taller than the original seats. I think I am going to keep mine and do a foam base to lower the seat a little since I am 6'3".
Anybody in the Bay Area want some nice seats?

https://www.facebook.com/Bay-Area-VW-Owners-1464253410267781/
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat upgrades out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus FAQ Reply with quote

Ok,

An update from the field. I took some measurements just so that we're all talking about the same thing (the first step to sanity when trying to compare apple to apples) because just because someone is 6'4" doesn't mean they have a long torso: They may just have legs like a stork and thus have 'no problem' with standard height Bus seats.

So here are some actionable numbers: In a passenger bus with a headliner in good condition (original loft, not hanging like grandma's stockings) the distance from the center of the base of the seat pillar to the headliner is 41-3/8".

Let me clarify that: the base level is not the depression in the middle, but the level rim the seat belt bolts to and that the seat tracks are welded to. That's the absolute lowest you could possibly take a seat if it were as thin as a shadow. From that point at the middle of wheel arch straight up to the headliner is 41-3/8" which is the important vertical measurement because it is the delta between your butt and this imaginary plane that constitutes how tall your torso can be and you still fit in the vehicle.

It looks like the Miata or the Town & Country seats are where the action is at for a seat that is naturally low. Now for the hard question to answer: measurably HOW LOW?

Marshall
nhcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Seat upgrades out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus FAQ Reply with quote

So I picked up a handful of town and country seats and plan to make a universal conversion plate that will slide into the stock rails.
I have a need for this myself so I figured others might too.
While I am at it I will also engineer a bracket for a Dodge truck "center console seat" and a stow and go jump seat base so I can fit 6 people comfortably in my westy and I can remove the jump seat and console seat when in "camp mode"

I will be fabricating some items but I know I can make them cheaper if there is an interest. I dont need any hard commitments. Just send me an email or text is you's be interested. I will do the CAD work anyway and I have a friend that has a metal shop.
I will make 20 or so of these slide in seats with the adapter attached. Engineering the jump seat adapter bracket will be involved but I'll take it on if others want it.

I am also going to sell my green plaid "recovered vanagon" seats- with heaters and plaid armrests too! They served me well but the family is growing so its all about functionality now.

Send me a PM or email if you are interested. Peter@Ideapoc (dot) com
AJPinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Seat upgrades out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus FAQ Reply with quote

Just had my Vanagons done over the winter by a local upholstery shop.

Last edited by AJPinVT on Thu May 25, 2017 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Seat upgrades out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus FAQ Reply with quote

AJPinVT wrote:

Okay, this is completely off topic, but How did you attach the fire extinguisher in that position? It's a great location.

And the Vanagon seats in Westy plaid looks fantastic too. Nice job!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Seat upgrades out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus FAQ Reply with quote

AJPinVT wrote:

The seats look fantastic! At some point I plan to do this with mine.

Though I think your child's cot bracket is upside down.

For the center console seat thing, I'd be interested in the brackets. Though I don't want to switch the front seats to town and country seats. Just would be interested in occasionally adding a seat to the front middle. Esp if the seat could also be used in a passenger bus if so desired!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
AJPinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Seat upgrades out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus FAQ Reply with quote

The fire extinguisher was there when I got the bus. Just a couple of self-tapping screws but it's held up fine.

And Dave, thanks for pointing out the cot brackets!
nhcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Seat upgrades out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus FAQ Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
AJPinVT wrote:

The seats look fantastic! At some point I plan to do this with mine.

Though I think your child's cot bracket is upside down.

For the center console seat thing, I'd be interested in the brackets. Though I don't want to switch the front seats to town and country seats. Just would be interested in occasionally adding a seat to the front middle. Esp if the seat could also be used in a passenger bus if so desired!

Those seats look great! i used an OEM cover that was in great shape and used some old covers to fabricate my arm rest covers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: