Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring Pictures for Temp I and Temp II sensors
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stockurai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Wiring Pictures for Temp I and Temp II sensors Reply with quote

I have a 1990 2.1 Vanagon and the wiring was all scrambled up to my Temp I and Temp II sensors and there are a bunch of stray wires dangling around

I have no clue where to begin on which goes where and which wire connects to each sensor but from reading around the forums I found that fixing these two sensors is pretty pivotal to getting this van running regular Smile

Exclamation
Besides, Yuppies cannot run to a dealership and give a credit card and just buy one. You have to breath life into it, kind of like an Egyptian afterlife thing. Once you resurrect it, it becomes your buddy. It is unusual and has character.
mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Pictures for Temp I and Temp II sensors Reply with quote

Stockurai wrote:
I have a 1990 2.1 Vanagon and the wiring was all scrambled up to my Temp I and Temp II sensors and there are a bunch of stray wires dangling around

I have no clue where to begin on which goes where and which wire connects to each sensor but from reading around the forums I found that fixing these two sensors is pretty pivotal to getting this van running regular Smile

Exclamation

You sound like a person in need of a Bentley manual. It has the wiring information you seek.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are likely confusing your TSII sensor with the sender for your temperature gauge. The TSI sensor is hid in your AFM and pretty hard to have wired wrong.
Stockurai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh i have a bentley manual but can't seem to find the right pictures of the right angles

I believe I do have that wrong then Mariusstrom, since their both broken and my gauge is always blinking. those two sensors for temp gauge then, the wiring for the one on the bottom of the engine seems to be lost amongst my engine compartment

happen to have pictures of yours?
Besides, Yuppies cannot run to a dealership and give a credit card and just buy one. You have to breath life into it, kind of like an Egyptian afterlife thing. Once you resurrect it, it becomes your buddy. It is unusual and has character.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The temperature sensors for the FI and the gauge are on the thermostat housing. The sender located underneath the engine is one of the two oil pressure switches. The harness for the oil pressure switches was something VW should have been ashamed up. Sellers have been known to remove the wire going to the low pressure switch to get the oil pressure warning light to go off at idle, not good at all.

Page 19.11 of the Bentley shows the two sensors on the thermostat housing, unfortunately they screwed up the labeling. One is labeled as the sensor for both the FI and the gauge, obviously an error.
Stockurai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

word? my lower one for the gauge was burnt off at the exhaust, it had a brown/white wire. I just want that GD light to go off. The one for the front of the engine has a red wire and that one is all set.

I'll check out that page, thanks! Very Happy

Still checking around for someone with some pics of their wiring to the lower temp gauge sender though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: