Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rusted Coolant pipes near engine question.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
woggs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Rusted Coolant pipes near engine question. Reply with quote

New member, new 83.5 Westy owner, first time VW owner.

I did a search but didn't find much. I bought an 83.5 Westy a few weeks ago for $2000 with a rebuilt engine and it runs great. However, I was reading up on it and decided to change the stock fuel lines, then I looked at the heater hoses, and decided to replace those, then I checked the radiator hoses, so I now am replacing those. Same with the brake lines, and the gas tank seals. I then noticed that the metal coolant pipes are very rusty near the engine, but are in great shape all the way back. I am considering just cutting the pipes below the rust, and then running a hose to the cut, with some kind of connector between the stock replacement hose and the new hose to the pipe. Has anyone tried this? will it work with no lip where the new hose will attach? Sorry if this has been covered.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check some of the vendors who sell stainless steel coolant lines. Thy offer a kit specificlly to address this issue tith the early waterboxers. I know that Terry Kay, who posts on here often has them for sale in the classified section. Click above on "classifieds", and then look in the Vanagon parts section. I'm sure he or someone has some on there for sale.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, look at me, I even did the leg-work for you. Click on this

http://community-2.webtv.net/VanStuff/VanagonWestfalia/

and scroll about half way down the page.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a stroll over to the samba.com Vanagon parts section--you'll find the cleanest, simplest way to solve the rusted out pipe problem ---

Chop them out--slip the new sections in--your done.

Good Luck--
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone else concerned about the potential galvanic corrosion caused by the use of stainless as cooling tubes?

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
woggs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, it looks like I will be ordering the stainless steel kit. As for galvanic corrosion, is coolant an electrolyte? Even if it is I will take my chances Very Happy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion

After I change the brake lines, the heater hoses, the coolant hoses, and the fuel lines, is there anything else I should change out. I need this thing to be dependable. Also, there is an '84 Vanagon with a complete AC system at the junk yard, Is it possilbe to install this in my 83.5 non A/C westy?

Thanks,
Mark

http://jet-man.com/playervideo.swf?video=jetman2007.flv
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<Is anyone else concerned about the potential galvanic corrosion caused by the use of stainless as cooling tubes??>>

Yes, I am very interested in the galvanic corrosion properties of 304-L stainless tubes within a cooling system.
skaaudivw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought Terry's SS repair sections for my 85. Nice quality and a must for those rusty rear end pipes. Also easy DIY job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to hijack this post but on the same subject, I wonder why VW switched from steel pipe to plastic pipe (87 to 91)?

My thinking is the steel or stainless steel (as Terry Kay) would help to evacuate the heat of the coolant, steel may get dings but won't break, plastic get brittle with time and heat and UV.... any idea? thanks

dan
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<I don't want to hijack this post but on the same subject, I wonder why VW switched from steel pipe to plastic pipe (87 to 91)?>>

Dan,

The answer for this question is simple.
The steel pipes rusted out and sprung leaks.

<<My thinking is the steel or stainless steel (as Terry Kay) would help to evacuate the heat of the coolant, steel may get dings but won't break>>

Your right---
The stainless does help cool down the engine.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they switched to plastic in 85?
As far as galvanic corrosion, I think the pipe would need a connection to the frame, as in a metal plating tank. This electrical connection is broken though, with the pipe going into rubber. And with T.K.'s tubes, even if it had this electrical connection nothing would happen.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup..yup..

steel rust, yes... why not galvanized steel, stainless steel, copper, teflon treated steel...?

oh well..... to tell you the truth I don't trust plastic... I even hate it... a Nikon or Canon camera in the '70 are wonderful in my hand.. solid, strong feeling... a Nikon or Canon camera in the '90/2000 is light and feel plasticky...if if you drop it.. it's gone... I dropped my 70' Nikon a couple time and it still working in 2007...

sorry for the rant or the "expression of my feelings toward plastic"

dan
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="90vana"]yup..yup..
<< why not galvanized steel, stainless steel, copper, teflon treated steel...?>>

M-O N-E-Y
The galvanized pipe might have caused some problems with the zinc plating and the aluminum.
Copper is too soft, teflon caoting is expensive so is stainless.
They wanted to maximize the profit statement---
Even tough the Vanagons' pretty much flopped.
Here in the midwest they did anyway.

The steel 83.5 to early 85 pipes were 1.25" thin wall steel.

Somewhere in late 85 they went to the 1.50" plastic pipe.

Cheaper?
Probably.
And maybe they went to the larger diamter for more fluid volume.

It was only a matter of time before the plastic dried up and failed.
They knew this.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loogy wrote:
Is anyone else concerned about the potential galvanic corrosion caused by the use of stainless as cooling tubes?

yes...I'm always concerned about galvanic reaction...not even joking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plain jane steel coolant pipes would have been more guilty of causing an electroletical reaction in the aluminum than the stainless pipes.

A good grade of stainless won't hurt your Van or the engine.

This is why all food processing plants,& milk production facilities use stainless tubing, tanks, vats, etc.

It is impervious to acids, bases, and salts.
kayakwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's why we use stainless steel in our nuclear plants, it's not affected by much.

you are worrying about nothing

B.5.5 Passat Wagen with 30v V6-67000 Miles

DAS AUTO

CHANGE YOUR FUEL LINES!

A post without pictures is useless

http://www.kayakwesty.com

http://www.waldensridgewhitewater.com/
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
The plain jane steel coolant pipes would have been more guilty of causing an electroletical reaction in the aluminum than the stainless pipes.

A good grade of stainless won't hurt your Van or the engine.

Really?

The galvanic voltage aluminum is 0.70-0.90
The galvanic voltage for steel is 0.60-.070
The galvanic voltage for 300 series stainless is 0.00-0.15

In order to prevent or reduce galvanic corrosion, the galvanic voltages of the dissimilar metals need to as close as possible to each other. In the galvanic series, the metals with the higher voltage potential (aluminum in this case) becomes the anode when coupled with with a metal of lower voltage potential and therefore corrodes faster that it would if it were all by itself. Looking at the numbers above, it is clear to see that aluminum has a much closer potential to steel than it does to stainless steel.

Mild steel welded to stainless steel rusts (corrodes) much quicker than mild steel by itself for the exact same reasons, the large differences in galvanic potentials between the two metals.

Terry Kay wrote:
This is why all food processing plants,& milk production facilities use stainless tubing, tanks, vats, etc.

kayakwesty wrote:
it's why we use stainless steel in our nuclear plants, it's not affected by much.

you are worrying about nothing

Yes, but those facilities are made up almost entirely of stainless, not a stainless/aluminum mix therefore little or no galvanic reactions.

As far as the coolant being an electrolyte, it can most certainly. All it needs is a small electrical leak connected to the engine. Vanagons are obviously notrorious for ground and electrical issues so a small electrical leak could easily go unnoticed. Even if there were no electrical leaks, if the coolant is broken down too severely or mixed with water that has a high mineral content, it becomes an electrolyte very easily. The introduction of exhaust gases into the cooling system will break down the corrosion inhibitors in the coolant very rapidy allowing the coolant to become an electrolyte. Vanagons are also notorious for head sealing issues.

Provided none of the above applies, the corrosion inhibitors in the coolant will break down in time allowing the galvanic corrosion process to eat your engine alive if you fail to keep up on your maintenance. Yes, the same could be said for a system with steel or other kinds of coolant tubes but the galvanic difference between aluminum and stainless is so much greater than steel and aluminum that the corrosion process will progress much faster.

Stainless is simply not the correct choice for cooling tubes on an aluminum engine. It's great for keeping the outside looking pretty but the potential damge that it can cause to the engine are not worth it. Not to me anyway.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
woggs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I install these pipes, how long before my engine crashes and dies? How many miles can I go before the disaster?
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a difficult question to answer because there are just too many variables. It's like asking "If I drive my van down a salted snowy highway, how soon before it starts to rust?". Who knows?

I'm not implying that your engine will suddenly start falling apart the minute that you install a stainless tube into the cooling system. I'm not even trying to tell you what to do with your own van. The point is, you can do things to help prevent corrosion in the cooling system but eventually you will have some no matter how small. Aiding the corrosion process just isn't something that I am interested in given the choice.

mr_vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just use long runs of rubber hose held up by zip ties? Cheap, easy to install and easy to fix if needed?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: