Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rusted Coolant pipes near engine question.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calling Tencent . . .

What are your thoughts on the corrosion issue that Loogie mentions? Both of you guys really know your stuff, and sharing notes on this would be useful to hear.

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And be honest, because you are not going to hurt my feelings by calling me out as a paranoid old whacko...although is probably some SMALL truth to that whacko part.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using Aeroquip and Earl's -AN lines for a few years now without any issues. The cost is higher due to the reusable fittings, but no seams or metals inside the hoses. Many different lines are available at different price points. They all do the same thing, just some are flashier looking on the outside. They work extremely well for replacing the hard power steering lines as well. You must use a line that can handle it on the pressure side of the system.

These lines are flexible and can be routed where you need them, not where they were designed to go. This is very helpful when converting your van from the VW powerplant to a Subaru or other.
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't take much to get TK going now days...

I just bought a set of VC stainless pipes for my Doka, I'm planning on refreshing the coolant at regular intervals.

My question to the metalurgists is: Is there a way to cancel the effects of electrolysis? I think I read that isolating the pipes would help. Would coating the inside with epoxy do the trick?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristar Eric wrote:
Doesn't take much to get TK going now days...

I just bought a set of VC stainless pipes for my Doka, I'm planning on refreshing the coolant at regular intervals.

My question to the metalurgists is: Is there a way to cancel the effects of electrolysis? I think I read that isolating the pipes would help. Would coating the inside with epoxy do the trick?

This came up in the other thread by someone else, but I think that the simplest/easiest method of thwarting off the affects of electrolysis would be to install a sacrificial anode into the coolant system. Any electricity in the system will eat away at the anode while leaving the items of lesser galvanic voltage largely alone. Magnesium and zinc have a larger galvanic voltage potential than aluminum and would therefore make good sacrificial anodes. However, having a sacrificial anode in the system sure seems like a band aid to a problem that can easily be avoided by simply using the right material for the coolant tubes in the first place.

Having the inside of the tubing coated would work too, although I'm not 100% sure what coating you would use to ensure that it will last as long as the van. If the coating started to come off, not only would you start introducing stainless into the system, but you would also start plugging up the heater cores and radiator. Isolating the exterior of the tubes would help protect the coolant from seeing any stray voltage from the outside. However, coolant is an electrolyte and can therefore carry electricity through the system. This electricity can come from a number of different sources in the system including the engine itself.

Unless the interior of the stainless tubes are successfully isolated from the electrolyte or a material is introduced into the system that the electricity likes better (the sacrificial anode), the potential for a galvanic reaction will always be there when using stainless (or copper) tubing for the coolant tubes combined with an aluminum engine, radiator and heater cores.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This all sounds real serious.
Lions & Tiger's & Bears.

If the coolant is changed on a regular basis, the electrolysis levels won't be anything to even write about.

You are concerned about the stainless pipes cooking the inside of the aluminum engine--Dead.

Why didn't VW worry about the mild steel pipes they hung on the 83.5's to 85's?

Certainly they generated all ginds of galvanic activity inside of the engine.

Chris--
I would really enjoy to paruse the source of your documentation here.

Could you supply a supplimental source of your knowledge?

There sure is a bunch of high end engine/vehicle manufacturs in big trouble according to your elaborate information.

I'd like to examine the cornicopia of info you have on your roll-A dex..

JC Whitney / Warshawski's at one time carried accessory sacrificical annodes--that also gave you 20% better fuel economy.
Paul Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about this thread

How long has the orginal vw pipes lasted ? With anything it will find its way back to the ashes it was brought from.

Nothing is safe from the affects of the earth and corrision. There are protective messures we can take to prolong the effects of corrision but its a losing battle cause mother earth will claim what is hers !!

Having owed a house that is older than earth itself I can tell you she is coming to take what is hers !!

Enjoy your vechiles and be thankful there are options out there to prolong the death of your vdub

You know if you went aircooled you guys wouldn't be debating this
You would be debating cylinder head temps Laughing

Make sure your baby has been burped Razz

Residue for president !!
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this is pretty much my point.
And I'm not even trying to be a smart ass here--

I've got all kinds of machinery in the yard , that's lucky to get a coolant flush every 5 years---
But it's big cast iron stuff--so it takes longer to self distruct.
Somke of the Cat's are from the early 60's.

The trucks in the yard are a differnet story, and they get a flush every 2 years.
They all have well over 600,000 miles on them, the coolant is checked every year with litmus paper for acid levels, and the cooling systems are all fine.

All's a guy has to do is check the coolant--( it's real simple) and regardless of what kinda tubes our running you will be able to moniter if the galvanic activity is going arye---

It isn't anything difficult.
99/9% of all coolant system failures are due to poor maintainence--not the materials the tubing is constructed out of.

Look at this way--

These poor underpowered , overweight, 4x8 rolling sheets of plywood have been flogged for how long?
And the cooling system is the farthest thing from most owner's minds, and the Vans keep on a running.

I think the galvanic reaction caused by the stainless pipes is nothing more than a remote hypothetical scare tactic at best.

I've never seen anything posted by Bricklin or Deloreon owner's anywhere regarding engine failures due to electrolysis because of their stainless cooling system hardware.

And this only a couple of examples-there's more stainless automtive components in use than you are aware of.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:

Why didn't they worry about it? Because they didn't need to. Plain steels are much closer in their galvanic voltage when compared to aluminium than stainless steels are. In fact, plain steels have nearly identical galvanic voltages when compared to aluminium. The closer the galvanic voltages of any given metal, the less likely they are to create a galvanic reaction.

Terry Kay wrote:

Chris--

JC Whitney / Warshawski's at one time carried accessory sacrificical annodes--that also gave you 20% better fuel economy.

Dude, seriously? I did not create the science, but I am able to open a book and read about it. Reading books on these types of subjects is actually very enlightening and teaches you lots of things that you otherwise might not figure out on your own. I highly recommend it. It also helps to make friends with people who study and practice the science of metallurgy for a living.

Terry Kay wrote:

There sure is a bunch of high end engine/vehicle manufacturs in big trouble according to your elaborate information.

I would be very interested in hearing about any vehicle with aluminium heads and/or block that uses 20 feet of stainless steel tubing in their cooling system. Why do you think auto makers started using aluminium radiators? Because they also started using aluminum heads and blocks and the old style copper radiators would have had the serious potential to cause a galvanic reaction with the aluminum because the galvanic voltage of copper is much greater than that of the aluminium. Hmmm, kind of like stainless steel and aluminium.

Terry, I am more than happy to let you believe whatever you want, but there is solid scientific evidence to support what I am talking about here... if you dare to look it up. Like I've said before, this is not a life or death subject where our vans are concerned, but with the cost and hassle of a new engine, it does not make for a good engineering choice to simply ignore the subject either.

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:

Why didn't they worry about it? Because they didn't need to. Plain steels are much closer in their galvanic voltage when compared to aluminium than stainless steels are. In fact, plain steels have nearly identical galvanic voltages when compared to aluminium. The closer the galvanic voltages of any given metal, the less likely they are to create a galvanic reaction.

Terry Kay wrote:

Chris--

Dude, seriously? I did not create the science, but I am able to open a book and read about it. Reading books on these types of subjects is actually very enlightening and teaches you lots of things that you otherwise might not figure out on your own. I highly recommend it. It also helps to make friends with people who study and practice the science of metallurgy for a living.

Terry Kay wrote:

I would be very interested in hearing about any vehicle with aluminium heads and/or block that uses 20 feet of stainless steel tubing in their cooling system. Why do you think auto makers started using aluminium radiators? Because they also started using aluminum heads and blocks and the old style copper radiators would have had the serious potential to cause a galvanic reaction with the aluminum because the galvanic voltage of copper is much greater than that of the aluminium. Hmmm, kind of like stainless steel and aluminium.

Terry, I am more than happy to let you believe whatever you want, but there is solid scientific evidence to support what I am talking about here... if you dare to look it up. Like I've said before, this is not a life or death subject where our vans are concerned, but with the cost and hassle of a new engine, it does not make for a good engineering choice to simply ignore the subject either.

Oh, and to the best of my knowledge, DeLoreans use aluminium cooling tubes to carry the coolant from the radiator to the engine and back again and Bricklins use typical rubber coolant hoses since the motor and radiator are both in the front. The issue is not whether or not stainless steel is used in vehicles, its HOW and WHERE it's used.

I've said my peace on this subject and I don't really have much more to say about it. Believe what you want, take whatever road you want. Whatever it is, your answer is out there...like it or not.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought on marine rubber coolant hoses. Grab a radiator hose with your hands and see how hot they are. Bet you can't tell much of a difference between the steel pipes on an early WBXer, plastic pipes on a later one, TK's SS pipes, and rubber marine hoses. I would guess that they all have a surface temperature within a few degrees of each other. If you wanted to decrease the temperature of the coolant returning to the radiator you might even want to insulate the pipes. The heat passed from the supply pipe to the return pipe might offset any heat passed to the atmosphere.

My 83 1/2 still has what are probably its original steel pipes, thanks to Oregon not using road salts. I don't know much of the history of this rig except for the last 70,000 miles. I suspect from the wear to the carpet and seats it is very high mileage, much higher than my other two Vanagons which have about 300K each. I did replace a weeping water pump when I first bought it and saw that there was some pitting of the aluminium around the impeller, but the bolts had no corrosion which was a plus.

Just wondering if there is an easily visible date stamp on the radiator? I would love to have some idea how old the radiator is on this rig.
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my marine rubber hose do indeed get very hot to the touch on the outbound side. the return hoses are nice and cool.

the marine hoses have more surface area, (being much thicker than metal pipe) and a rougher texture, which leads me to surmise they will radiate heat to the atmosphere quite readily.
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
Vanagonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Chris, the SS tubes will increase the cathodic area, resulting in a higher current density in the aluminum (anode).
Here's a paragraph for anyone wants to skool up-
(college chemistry)
Factors Affecting Galvanic Corrosion
1. Area Effect.
When current flows between the anode and cathode, the CURRENT will be the same in the anode and cathode independent of the surface area of each electrode. It is the CURRENT rather than the CURRENT DENSITY which is equal for the anodic and cathodic reactions. Therefore, if the current flowing between the anode and the cathode is one amp and the surface areas are one cm2, then the current density in each electrode is one A/cm2. However, if the area of the anode is only 0.1 cm2, then the current density in the anode with the same one amp flowing is 10 A/cm2. From Faradays Law, the corrosion rate depends on the CURRENT DENSITY in the anode. In this case decreasing the surface area of the anode increases the corrosion rate by a factor of 10.
As a general rule to minimize galvanic corrosion, the anode area should be large and the cathode area should be small. This leads to a result that on first appearance would seem incorrect. For protection from galvanic corrosion, the CATHODE of the system should be painted if a coating is applied. This arises from the area effect, in that if the paint is damaged by a scratch for example, then a small cathode to large anode area ratio is formed which results in minimizing corrosion rates. If the anode is painted, then damage to the paint results in a large cathode to small anode ratio which results in large corrosion rates in the anode and rapid penetration into the metal.
The anode to cathode area effect is an important characteristic. It is important in several other forms of corrosion including pitting corrosion, crevice corrosion, stress corrosion cracking and corrosion fatigue. Remember the important effects of the anode to cathode area ratios.

thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: the cathodic area Reply with quote

Im a buddhist myself on tuesdays. how much surface area does a 340 chrysler v8 have inside it? does anyone know? does anyone know about the thin-walled waterpump housing hanging on the front of that old anchor?
You guys are playing tennis with marine questions. stainless is king. terrys pipes cant possibly equal the surface area within a porous cast iron 396 with wet exhaust ports [each and every one] or a 383, or the piec'o crap veetens that ford is crapping out with aluminum heads.
get a piece of zinc and hang it in your burp tank if you want---[by the way, the 340 water pump dissimilar metals experiment failed. they were always replacing them]. the rub occurs when you have aluminum or brass touching ferrous metals like stainless, iron or steel. it accelerated corrosion tenfold. that's why water heaters come with insulators to keep dissimilar pipe metals from touching. zinc. todd
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably missing some things, but in summation:

stainless:
+dissipates heat
+hopefully won't cause rust within several years
+shiny
-expensive
-may cause rust after some years

plastic:
+won't rust
+cheaper than steel
-will eventually crack/need replacement
-doesn't dissipate much heat

rubber:
+won't rust
+cheapest
+available at flaps
-doesn't dissipate heat
-will eventually need replacement
-looks cheap

I think the heat dissipation argument is nil since VW went from steel to plastic in '85. Very likely the plastic will dissipate less heat. With all this in mind, seems rubber is the way to go. There are already rubber hoses running the length of the van for the heat exchanger in the front anyway right? Why not run another set alongside them...?

There seem to be (a couple years ago) 1 set of people discussing which rubber to buy and 1 set debating whether stainless causes corrosion, but I still don't see the steel people giving any reason not to go rubber (except that it looks cheap). Since this WAS a while ago, has anyone with rubber had problems?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocky Mountain sells aluminum pipes, that seems the least risky way to go, unless you are not scared of rubber. The rubber hoses worked just fine in my van.
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: crossover pipe on top of the engine rust as well Reply with quote

I looked under my van and the original black steel pipes look great from the outside. How stupid is it to assume that if I don't see rust outside it won't be too bad inside? Also, what about the steel crossover pipe going across the top of the engine? That guy looks pretty rusty...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rusted Coolant pipes near engine question. Reply with quote

woggs1 wrote:
New member, new 83.5 Westy owner, first time VW owner.

I did a search but didn't find much. I bought an 83.5 Westy a few weeks ago for $2000 with a rebuilt engine and it runs great. However, I was reading up on it and decided to change the stock fuel lines, then I looked at the heater hoses, and decided to replace those, then I checked the radiator hoses, so I now am replacing those. Same with the brake lines, and the gas tank seals. I then noticed that the metal coolant pipes are very rusty near the engine, but are in great shape all the way back. I am considering just cutting the pipes below the rust, and then running a hose to the cut, with some kind of connector between the stock replacement hose and the new hose to the pipe. Has anyone tried this? will it work with no lip where the new hose will attach? Sorry if this has been covered.

Mark

I took that approach when the steel line on my '84 sprang a leak ~10 tears ago. I cut off the rusted bit and then found a longer hose at the FLAPS to go all the way - its been fine ever since. Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tooharsh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have been wondering if there is any chance of the steel lines rusting from the inside out. From what I have read it seems like they rust from the outside, if that is the case then I think I am ok for now. Can anyone say they have seen these lines runt from the inside out?
SL1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed the rear sections with stainless last spring - not promoting the stainless issue, its just what I used.
The pipes from the rad to the wheel wells looked great and using the old hammer test sounded very solid, so I just replaced the rear sections.

The rear pipes above wheel well were very rusty, in fact a screwdriver went right through with little resistance. To answer the question, the pipes looked fine on the inside, no pitting was readily apparent. All the rust was on the outside eating its way in.

Beware of 'rust rabbits' Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: