Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Think this will work in my 58. 20 hp diesel engine
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
jamestwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Think this will work in my 58. 20 hp diesel engine Reply with quote

I would have to get a custom flywheel to work off the PTO shaft, and a custom mount to get it to bolt to the transxle.

I know my TDi gets 50 mpg, think this could get 60?
Think it would be enough power?

That s 20 hp and aout 38 ft-lbs torque. The stock motor would make about 30 hp and thesame torque.

http://cgi.ebay.com/20-22-HP-V-TWIN-AIR-COOLED-DIE...dZViewItem
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to you having you foot to the floor all the time because you needed to make 20hp most of the time I would not think the gas milage would be good.

Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jamestwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a small turbo will get it to 32-35 hp.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should do it! Smile

Turbo it, use a geared-down transmission, and it might be a good around-town driver. You'll need a custom tranny anyway, as it spins CCW.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would need to spend some time thinking about gearing. You'd probably need a 4.37 or 4.86 R&P and don't expect to travel 70 MPH down the highway. But it might work for a economy daily driver.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that engine designed to operate at fixed RPM rather then up and down in the RPM range like driving in traffic. I would be a great cruiser.
Take the plunge and let us know.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
cbr900racer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james, you ready for next weekend man? I'm really looking forward to it!
97 Blazer
07 Nitro
94 CBR900RR (runs 5.70s 1/8 mile)
jamestwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, I should be ready.
type2man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are buying @ a fixed price an 20/22 hp, air-cooled, V-twin Punsun Diesel Engine.
Punsun Diesel Engines are the finest Chinese quality I've ever seen so far!!
Finest and Chinese should not be used in the same sentence....

eastcoast63 wrote: i'm just trying to work in some extra mash potatoes..... hell, last week i got "red head suzy" to give some collard greens on the side. Straight "zip lock bag status". Taco Bell aint got shit on "4th" meal. Late night collard greens and a biscuit. thats where its at!
xathor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slap a pd150 in there... if i had the money i'd do it Smile

chinese 20hp motor? nah.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, James. Plus having 5 reverse gears and one forward gear will surely give your car more flexibility Laughing Laughing Laughing

I don't think electrickery works that way
artwelderandy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: It's been some time since this post, did you build the bug? Reply with quote

JAMES! hi! I just came across this site today as I am about to put a punsun 22hp v-twin into a 68 beetle! I did some mph calculations and I'm hoping that it will go 55mph and maybe get 80mpg. Did you build yours yet? how did it work? any tips? thank you!!! Also, if you haven't even started yet, I contacted a dealer in China who has the engines for $630, we can save on shipping if you haven't purchased yours yet. I found a turbo on ebay that might work, its for jetskis and bikes with engines from 190cc to 900cc. I power my vehicles with veggy oil and I hope to with the bug too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
shegel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: It's been some time since this post, did you build the b Reply with quote

artwelderandy wrote:
JAMES! hi! I just came across this site today as I am about to put a punsun 22hp v-twin into a 68 beetle! I did some mph calculations and I'm hoping that it will go 55mph and maybe get 80mpg. Did you build yours yet? how did it work? any tips? thank you!!! Also, if you haven't even started yet, I contacted a dealer in China who has the engines for $630, we can save on shipping if you haven't purchased yours yet. I found a turbo on ebay that might work, its for jetskis and bikes with engines from 190cc to 900cc. I power my vehicles with veggy oil and I hope to with the bug too.

in the first post he said that he hasnt got it yet. and i think i know of the turbo your talking about. its the size of a dollar bill?. but if you do get this going keep us posted. i am considering somehting similar for my ghia. and my family also makes biodiesel and we run our truck on strait veg.
1977 Honda gl1000
1993 Honda xr250L
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys, isn't that engine for lawnmowers and generators? Those things don't really have to rev up like cars, always run at about same rpm...

Anton
artwelderandy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This engine can be used with a throttle control to rev up as well as with a spring system that keeps it at a constant rpm for generators. I'm currently installing a single cylinder version into a kawasaki enduro motorcycle, and I know for sure that particular application has been done before and works. My buddy is also interested in doing this to a ghia, if it works in my bug (kinda the test vehicle), and we will keep you posted. If we put together a crew of us who want these engines we will save a bundle. Who's interested?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
shegel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im interested but have no money. Crying or Very sad
1977 Honda gl1000
1993 Honda xr250L
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: diesel engine Reply with quote

I don't think it would have enough power to get out of it's own way. I think you would be lucky it if lasted for 1000 miles. Those engines are not meant to run at full rated load all the time and that is what you would be doing by putting it in a bus. You would also have to work out some way of sealing the engine compartment so it would not recirculate hot air just the same as the original VW engine. I personally think it is way to much money and effort for something that will lack the durability you need in an automobile. Putting that engine in a VW bus is like putting a cox model airplane engine on a go kart; Sure you can make it move, but it will be an absolute dog and won't last long.

If you want diesel, look into a deutz diesel from a boom lift or other equipment. They make on that is 3 cylinders rated at about 48hp and can be turboed and handle the extra stress. Best of all it is cooled by a fan that looks similar to a porsche that moves air over an attached oil cooler. If you require more cooling capacity, you add an additional cooler. Sound familiar?

check it out:
http://www.deutz.com/live_deutz_com/html/default/f...ngines.pdf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
artwelderandy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
Looks great, James. Plus having 5 reverse gears and one forward gear will surely give your car more flexibility Laughing Laughing Laughing

What does this mean? Is the rotation of the original VW engine clockwise?!

Also, for people who think this will be underpowered, you are absolutely right, but it will be amazingly fuel efficient, run on veggie oil, and be great as an in town commuter. not to mention a fun project. I did some math, it will go somewhere in the 50's, eventually... it won't accelerate quickly, but its a diesel, it has the power to get there.
shegel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

artwelderandy wrote:
Stripped66 wrote:

What does this mean? Is the rotation of the original VW engine clockwise?!

Also, for people who think this will be underpowered, you are absolutely right, but it will be amazingly fuel efficient, run on veggie oil, and be great as an in town commuter. not to mention a fun project. I did some math, it will go somewhere in the 50's, eventually... it won't accelerate quickly, but its a diesel, it has the power to get there.

correction: it has the torque to get there.
1977 Honda gl1000
1993 Honda xr250L
jamestwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was more or less kidding around, but it would get 60 mpg I think.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: