Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Info/help needed for euro dash install
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
sloans265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Info/help needed for euro dash install Reply with quote

So today I go to test fit my NOS euro dash into my DD panel and it looks as if the steering column/ignition pod won't "match up". Where as the dash pod goes up under the padded dash, it sits up against the metal one. I believe the ignition pod and large braket that holds it to dash need to be changed. Does anybody have any info or knowledge on this? And the bigger question is where could I find the right parts? This is a real straight panel that I'm putting serious time/money into and am making every effort to do it correct. Any help or leads would be GREATLY appreciated!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the euro dash the instrument cluster sits on the surface of the dashboard. also, the glovebox lid is not used on the euro dash.

now what is the problem with the column pedestal?
sloans265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that the column pedestal for the padded dash is longer and goes up under the dash. From the pics I've found in the gallery it looks as if it sits up against the dash with just a hole for the turn signal/ignition wires to pass through. I'm about to go downstairs and try to get a pic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwbusbusvw
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a problem with the later nose skin?

OMVWC
Quote:
stuped is stuped duse
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the dash from a 69 euro bus that was sold on ebay recently. (i got the headlights in another auction).
the "ambulance fans" sold in another auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280080911189
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by hazetguy on Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
sloans265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwbusbusvw wrote:
Maybe a problem with the later nose skin?

No thats not the problem this is on the dash. In the first pic you'll see how the pedestal is up against the dash but is "pushed out" cause the metal dash does not have the cut out for it. Also note how the bracket underneth hits the dash before it gets to pedestal. I believe this bracket will be different also.

In this pic you see the cut out in the padded dash allowing pedestal to go up underneath it.

In this pic you'll notice how the pedestal seems to have a small lip on it were it sits up against the dash.

Hopefully somebody will be familiar with this or maybe one of the European sambanista's might be able to help out Pray
TristanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pic with the orange euro dash seems to be either a 68 or 69 due to the ignition switch housing and upper dash pad. The ignition switch you are using is a 70, which does not have that lip. IIRC, the 68-69 bracket is also different than the 70-.
These are the only things I can see that may help with the fit.

BTW- Would you happen to know what year bus the euro dash came
from?
sloans265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitty wrote:
The pic with the orange euro dash seems to be either a 68 or 69 due to the ignition switch housing and upper dash pad. The ignition switch you are using is a 70, which does not have that lip. IIRC, the 68-69 bracket is also different than the 70-.
These are the only things I can see that may help with the fit.

BTW- Would you happen to know what year bus the euro dash came
from?

Thanks for that helpful info. I gotta pick up a free parts '68 tomorrow so I will check that out. The dash was NOS but the part # was too scratched up to read. I didn't even think about going outside and looking at my "69 pedestal Confused

Just found this ad which confirms what you said splitty, thanks again.

vwpieces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was going to say the 68-69 Ign Sw pods were different & may be what you need.

My bud in CA was going to bid on that ebay bus & get me the dash, but it exceeded my $150 limit.

Hey Splitty, I finally found an uncracked 68-69 dash top pad. At least it was uncracked until I opened the package. One big crack above the cluster area. Shipped greyhound. Maybe it would have survived shipping in summer, don't know. With delusions of warm weather... gonna need those tools back. Gotta tear down the bus motor beforethe show season again...
81 Turbo Diesel Jabbit
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this photo help? Its from a '72 Eurospec wreck in Nova Scotia, so maybe not. There are some other pics in my photo gallery if you want to see more (on page 3 of my photos).

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwill49965 wrote:
Does this photo help? Its from a '72 Eurospec wreck in Nova Scotia, so maybe not. There are some other pics in my photo gallery if you want to see more (on page 3 of my photos).

What this photo shows is the same fuse box "spec" as mine, the dangling M-code! Rolling Eyes
TristanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwpieces wrote:

Hey Splitty, I finally found an uncracked 68-69 dash top pad. At least it was uncracked until I opened the package. One big crack above the cluster area. Shipped greyhound. Maybe it would have survived shipping in summer, don't know. With delusions of warm weather... gonna need those tools back. Gotta tear down the bus motor beforethe show season again...

Nick, just give me a call when you think you may be heading up towards Neffs. That sucks about the pad...is it still any better than the one you have now?
If you need any help with the motor let me know and I'll get a pizza at Salvatore's and we'll crank it out Smile.
sloans265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwill49965 wrote:

Thanks for the good pic there dwill49965. If thats a '72, then all the metal dash bus' must use the early pedestal. I'm getting a running '68 standard for free in the morning Very Happy I can get the pieces off of it.
I've noticed that some come with a glovebox door and some don't.
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sloans265 wrote:

If thats a '72, then all the metal dash bus' must use the early pedestal.

Embarassed My mistake - that picture of the white metal dash I posted earlier is from a '69. Here's the m-code plate for it. The last series of numbers on lower right corner(chassis number) begins with a "9", which stands for 1969.

Sorry for the confusion. Embarassed

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: