Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

seal driveflange is smaller?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:55 am    Post subject: seal driveflange is smaller? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I got these new seals for the drive flange in the gearbox (1974 highroof), but when I look at the numbers the new one is smaller even though in different topics here I saw the same installed as I got being 42x67x17.6
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

while the ones installed are 45x72x15

the new seal is indeed very tight if I would place the flange in there so does feel wrong? Are there different types of drive flanges?

Also the circlips for this one, any reference to what I should get?

Thanks!
Peter
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: seal driveflange is smaller? Reply with quote

What's the part number on the seal? (hard to read it in your photo)

Looks to me like you probably have a later transaxle in your Bus. 091301189 is I think what I see (or with an "A") and that seal is 45 x 72 x 15.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: seal driveflange is smaller? Reply with quote

Test fit the seal onto the flange, it should be obvious enough which seal is correct.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: seal driveflange is smaller? Reply with quote

From Weddle's website

1976 - 1979 091 trans is 45x72x15
1969 - 1975 002 trans is 42x67x17.6
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: seal driveflange is smaller? Reply with quote

Thanks all!
so somewhere in life this bus already got a trans update it seems, nbut at least now I can look for the right parts:-)
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: seal driveflange is smaller? Reply with quote

I recently went through this on a 1971 bus with original gearbox. I called Weddle to order. Those seals have been superceded by a wider seal. Then I called Bigbore in Alaska and he told me you first need to mark the side plates before removing them. Then, using a special socket tool you unscrew the side plate. On the bench you can remove and replace the seal. Then simply screw the side plate back in until you reach the same depth and align your match marks.

So, Weddle sells both seals. Your choice. Don’t forget the big oring that goes around the side plate.

PS-Bigbore sent me his spare special socket as a gift. The time I did the job I used a hammer an soft drift to remove the side plates.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: seal driveflange is smaller? Reply with quote

It is easy to make a tool to remove the side plates.

The spacing of the holes is pretty critical. I blew it by maybe a 1/32" and used a larger bolt in one hole to compensate.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: seal driveflange is smaller? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

The spacing of the holes is pretty critical. I blew it by maybe a 1/32" and used a larger bolt in one hole to compensate.

Ah, yes. It comes back to me now. Telford and I did fabricate a tool. It was an old steering wheel puller and a couple bolts.

I have had another set of seals and orings on hand just waiting to go into Telford's 1971 panel bus.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: seal driveflange is smaller? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

If you have the metal retainer plates for the side adjusters, you can just fasten 'em to a stick
with 2 screws and some washers. No extra tool needed.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: seal driveflange is smaller? Reply with quote

With a good seal hook to remove the old seal. The proper sized socket and a bit of metric "all thread" to instal the new seal. Those seals can be replaced without unscrewing the diff brearing threaded collars. it can be a pain sure. But in my opinion you are compramising alot more doing it the other way. But that's just one mans opinion. Wink
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: seal driveflange is smaller? Reply with quote

Yeah, so I just replaced my flange seals, and there's absolutely no need to unthread the diff adjusting rings to replaces those seals...unless you are replacing the rubber o-ring seal on the adjusting rings, and in that case yes you'd mark them, replace and thread back in to the mark.

Otherwise use a good seal tool to remove the flange seals and press the new one's in. Pretty sure I picked up those axle flange seals for my 002 three rib from Rockauto.

Reuse your circlips, be sure they seat in the groove all the way.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: