Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery Smart Isolator - Dumb Idea?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:27 pm    Post subject: Battery Smart Isolator - Dumb Idea? Reply with quote

Hello,
So I ordered a 140amp smart battery isolator to help charge my leisure batteries. The way the device works is that it sits between your starter battery and your leisure battery and switches the charge over to the leisure battery when your driving and the starter battery reports as "full" (13.2v I believe the docs stated) . When the starter batter drops to less than 12.8v, the charge auto-switches back to the starter battery, and the dance continues.
After ordering, a thought occurred. If my bus sits for a week, wont that smart isolator be sat "listening" for a charge to direct? It sits between two batteries with no on/off switch so Im thinking it has to be active all the time, and so using battery power while sat in my garage.
Thoughts? Anyone try one of these things?
Thanks!
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Smart Isolator - Dumb Idea? Reply with quote

The programmable one I am using has a standby current of 0.04 A

It would take somewhere around six months to drain two batteries
Basically it is only wasting an almost meaningless amount of power

The draw for yours is probably documented somewhere (and likely similar)

One thing to consider, a traditional diode based battery isolator would drop the voltage supplied to your other battery by approx 0.6v and recharge slower (and potentially not to full capacity) - your 'smart' isolator likely does not have a noticeable voltage drop

If those voltages you listed are not adjustable they would be fine with SLA and AGM and keep the batteries separated when the engine is off

With 2 x lithium batteries (and those voltages) you would actually be drawing from the starter battery as well for the leisure loads, but it would end up isolating the starter battery with around 25% of its charge left (12.8v). the higher voltage shown by LiFePO4 makes things work a little differently with the unit you describe. a very cool byproduct IMO makes for a nice future upgrade if you are using your leisure stuff a lot - you can drop 2 lithiums in there and have it use both of them for leisure but still save enough juice to start the engine.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Smart Isolator - Dumb Idea? Reply with quote

The voltages chosen are slightly higher than the off charge voltage of a standard lead acid battery. So once the voltages settle down a 100% charged battery is 12.7 volts.
The switch will open as the battery voltages settle and stay open until one of the batteries reaches 13.8 volts again on charge.
So trickle charging either battery (or charging faster) will close the switch and charge both batteries only once the battery being charged has reached a good state of charge.
The current needed by the switch to monitor the battery is similar to self discharge rates.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Smart Isolator - Dumb Idea? Reply with quote

50 mA is roughly the self discharge rate of a battery, the rate at which it will lose charge sitting disconnected. Look at your usage pattern and logistics before you throw cheap electronic crap at your setup

You might be better off isolating your coach battery and putting it on a 6 amp charger once a month overnight than spending money to have to car do it.

If you match your starter and coach batteries you can rotate them to keep them in similar life cycles too.

Keeping this stuff simple is cheaper and doesn’t introduce the fail points of crappy electronics and ( sorry) bad wiring that’s rampant here
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Smart Isolator - Dumb Idea? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You might be better off isolating your coach battery and putting it on a 6 amp charger once a month overnight than spending money to have to car do it.

If you match your starter and coach batteries you can rotate them to keep them in similar life cycles too.

Keeping this stuff simple is cheaper and doesn’t introduce the fail points of crappy electronics and ( sorry) bad wiring that’s rampant here

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I think I'm leaning in the direction of sending the kit back. I did not think about the "always on" need for sensing the battery level. I recently went through all my wiring hunting down a parasitic draw that was flattening the starter battery in a week. Introducing a draw seems counter-productive.
Abscate - I sort of have this setup now. I have two 90ah AGM batteries under the bench that are topped off by a 100w solar panel. In the summer months, I rarely drop below 90% on the batteries, but in the winter months I run a diesel heater off the leisure batteries and after all-day use the batteries drop to about 60%. As you recommend, I usually top the batteries off with a charger at home because of not enough solar charge during the winter.
My brilliant idea was that the smart isolator would do the top-off charging of the leisure batteries on the drive home. It seems the isolator may solve that issue but introduce others - like a draw and cheaply made electronics. Back it goes.
Thanks all.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Smart Isolator - Dumb Idea? Reply with quote

I would say a marine style combiner switch , 1-2-both-off would serve you well

Would let you go to Both for your winter needs , drawing from both for the heater would keep your drain at 20% for each , and then alternating between 1 and 2 weekly or monthly for driving.

Just remember not to switch with engine running.

Those switches are about $60 from defender or west marine
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Smart Isolator - Dumb Idea? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I would say a marine style combiner switch , 1-2-both-off would serve you well

Would let you go to Both for your winter needs , drawing from both for the heater would keep your drain at 20% for each , and then alternating between 1 and 2 weekly or monthly for driving.

Just remember not to switch with engine running.

Those switches are about $60 from defender or west marine

Thanks.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Smart Isolator - Dumb Idea? Reply with quote

imho it depends on how you camp. If you take off where you don't go home in a day you will need something to isolate the batteries from one another and charge them with the car. Aeromech (Gary) and Telford both have really nice setups, and Telford is the brightest electronics guy I've ever known. And I grew up in electronics, and worked in it off and on much of my life. What Telford has forgotten in electronics is more than what most will ever know,
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Smart Isolator - Dumb Idea? Reply with quote

I found out that the Bluesea ACR has a constant miliamp draw and can run your battery down over a couple weeks. It's a boat part. Boats turn off their batteries after every trip. So no issue. I started installing a $6 relay that shuts the ACR down when the coil loses power.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Smart Isolator - Dumb Idea? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I found out that the Bluesea ACR has a constant miliamp draw and can run your battery down over a couple weeks. It's a boat part. Boats turn off their batteries after every trip. So no issue. I started installing a $6 relay that shuts the ACR down when the coil loses power.

Thanks SGK.

Aeromech, it was a variant of Bluesea ACR that I was going to fit. I think the most off-putting (after research) is that when camping, the ACR allows draw from the starter battery until the 12.8 limit is reached. Right now, I have two totally i dependent systems - leisure/solar and starter/alternator. I think I'm leaving it at that.
As I wrote, my simplistic hope was that any sensing was performed only when the engine was running, of course that's not true unless using a relay, as you mentioned.
Oh well, sunny days are around the corner. Smile
Thanks again.
BTW - Can't say enough about the Chinese diesel heaters. Outside, didn't get above 40 deg at the show. Inside the bus, we were at 68-72 deg - all day for about $1.50 in diesel. Smile
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Smart Isolator - Dumb Idea? Reply with quote

The other thing I discovered about the ACR is that if one battery drops below say 10 volts, the ACR will not combine and therefore not charge the low battery. There is a good reason for this design though. If one battery get a dead internal short the ACR prevents the other battery from failing too.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Smart Isolator - Dumb Idea? Reply with quote

Do you put the relay on the small ground wire? Is that like a trigger wire?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Smart Isolator - Dumb Idea? Reply with quote

Yes. The ACR has a spade connector that goes to battery ground. Install a relay and the ground is removed when the key is off.

On a car you use the vehicle chassis as ground. On a boat you need to run a wire
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: