Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

esde wrote:

I've run into this several times. If the car has been, or needs to be repaired with a different front clip, what do you do? Or if you use a new panel from Virtanen?
I have tig welded the old number in several times, keeping photos of the before and after to explain why it was done if I ever was asked. But not everyone can weld and most welders would not take that liability.

As far as I know, Mika (Virtanen) will stamp in the body number with proof of original ownership.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

lardawge wrote:
esde wrote:

I've run into this several times. If the car has been, or needs to be repaired with a different front clip, what do you do? Or if you use a new panel from Virtanen?
I have tig welded the old number in several times, keeping photos of the before and after to explain why it was done if I ever was asked. But not everyone can weld and most welders would not take that liability.

As far as I know, Mika (Virtanen) will stamp in the body number with proof of original ownership.

That's interesting. I've bought this section from him and didn't think to ask.
quik56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

esde wrote:
lardawge wrote:
esde wrote:

That's interesting. I've bought this section from him and didn't think to ask.

Just bought one from him, with numbers stamped. Great work
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

That 1600 engine that "starts every time" sure looks like a 36hp in the photo.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2583966
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

3foldfolly wrote:

Agree
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
3foldfolly wrote:

Agree

Vintage speed is really taking off these days...maybe it's a bored/stroked sleeper in the 36hp block! You guys! You never know~! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

Bub wrote:
EverettB wrote:
3foldfolly wrote:

Agree

Vintage speed is really taking off these days...maybe it's a bored/stroked sleeper in the 36hp block! You guys! You never know~! Laughing

I have a feeling a relative passed and the person now selling doesn't know anything about the details of the car but his buddy told him its a 1600
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2584624
That's about 150% too much.
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2587187
Includes original aftermarket battery cable replacement clamp!
a smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

3foldfolly wrote:

It does look like a vintage clamp.....😐
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

3foldfolly wrote:

LOL, I just came here to post that.
Throw it away...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type4split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

thoughts on this poor soul https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2587370

don't get me wrong, i love pre '55 stuff & the originality, but other than the seat frames.... I guess to a metal wizard it could be one bad patina ride.
'50-something convertible (*need ribbed 'vert quarter panel )
'63 "milo" beetle
Part, parts and more parts
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

type4split wrote:
thoughts on this poor soul ttps://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2587370

don't get me wrong, i love pre '55 stuff & the originality, but other than the seat frames.... I guess to a metal wizard it could be one bad patina ride.

Your link trimmed the "h"
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2587370

Agreed. I think you'd probably part it out and make around what he's asking.
Sadly, Connecticut winters are really hard on cars, and things are typically way worse than the pictures suggest.
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2589628 Rolling Eyes Laughing
Mr. Mike Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

3foldfolly wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2589628 Rolling Eyes Laughing

Scam! Same bug at Oldbug for $21k
laneven28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2588409

I owned this jungle green 56 from 1987-1989. It was my first car. It came up for sale locally this past summer and I was interested in buying it back for nostalgic reasons so I went to visit it.

Potential buyers should be aware this car is far from concours. The car was restored in the early 90s, not the late 90s - 30 years ago. It shows well from a distance, but realistically it's ready to be restored again. There are visible nicks & scratches in several places on the paint, several rust spots on the chrome and hardware, original engine has been replaced, interior was changed to white, etc. The drivetrain & brakes did not feel right when I drove it. With some fine tuning, the car could probably be a nice driver. The owner is convinced it's a $50k - $60k car because Hagerty told her so, and the floor pans are just so nice. I tried to convince her with evidence that it was likely worth half (or more) of her expectation, but she's anchored to the $50k price level.

If someone does buy this, I have a lot of original photos from the 80s before the car was restored, some history from before I bought it, and a lot of correspondence with the gentleman that restored the car in 1992/1993. Would be happy to share what I have.
1956 Iris Blue Convertible
1958 Pearl White Lowlight KG Convertible
1961 Turkis Ragtop

Last edited by laneven28 on Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:23 am; edited 3 times in total
lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

laneven28 wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2588409

I owned this jungle green 56 from 1987-1989. It was my first car. It came up for sale locally this past summer and I was interested in buying it back for nostalgic reasons so I went to visit it.

Potential buyers should be aware this car is far from what I would consider concours. The car was restored in the early 90s, not the late 90s - 30 years ago. Realistically it's ready to be restored again. There are visible nicks & scratches in several places on the paint, several rust spots on the chrome and hardware, original engine has been replaced, interior was changed to white, etc. The trans & brakes did not feel right when I drove it. With some fine tuning, the car could probably be a nice driver. The owner is convinced it's a $50k - $60k car because Hagerty told her so, and the floor pans are just so nice. I tried to convince her with evidence that it was likely worth closer to half that value, but she's anchored to the $50k price level.

Even if it was a concourse restoration, it is unlikely someone will pay 50k for a 56 hardtop. It sounds like she loves the car more than anyone ever will at that price.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

Mr. Mike wrote:
3foldfolly wrote:

Scam! Same bug at Oldbug for $21k

Thanks to the people that reported this ad but apparently this guy bought it from oldbug a while back and is now reselling it.

I guess this is why it's more money now. Crying or Very sad
Jeff Pyzyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2591528

This oval was on BAT and seller was caught with his pants down on the following:

1) Titled as '55 though a '56 model year
2) Missing a digit of VIN on title
3) Re-stamped VIN tag on body
4) An additional digit added to VIN tag on body
5) Mismatched October '55 pan but January of '56 body

Aside from the above, a very nice car. It got to $32k on BAT. No mention of these issues on the current ad on TheSamba.
a smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

Jeff Pyzyk wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2591528

This oval was on BAT and seller was caught with his pants down on the following:

1) Titled as '55 though a '56 model year
2) Missing a digit of VIN on title
3) Re-stamped VIN tag on body
4) An additional digit added to VIN tag on body
5) Mismatched October '55 pan but January of '56 body

Aside from the above, a very nice car. It got to $32k on BAT. No mention of these issues on the current ad on TheSamba.

Seems like title nightmare waiting to happen if one tried to title it in a new state.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160  Next
Jump to:
Page 156 of 160

Jump to: