Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

Have these become so rare?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2591641
latinporsche911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
Have these become so rare?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2591641

Ever since they began being referred to as "batwing" people have raised their selling prices Rolling Eyes
52 split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

anybody notice the front apron on the 56 two posts back. is it on backwards. there's no spare in photos because of this. all expense spared ?
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

52 split wrote:
anybody notice the front apron on the 56 two posts back. is it on backwards. there's no spare in photos because of this. all expense spared ?

Pic added for ya
I agree, WTF
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

esde wrote:
52 split wrote:

Pic added for ya
I agree, WTF

Here is a picture from the inside. I’m not sure if the picture posted is an optical illusion… the inside looks rough but somewhat normal. I would also point out that it’s the wrong inner apron for a 56 and is missing tabs to hold down the wiring harness.

Last edited by lardawge on Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

Looks like they did a very good job at doing it wrong. I'm away from my 56 at the moment but I'd like to see a comparison picture of what it is supposed to look like. It definitely looks funny
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2577251

What do we have here?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

^ not beetle! 356 maybe...?

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

finster wrote:

The seller's ID says it all.

For a minute I thought it was my old '57--interior looks about the same--and I sold it with a numbers-correct crankcase (not numbers-matching).
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

That's $62,323.90 !
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2593783
ecallaway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
finster wrote:

For a minute I thought it was my old '57--interior looks about the same--and I sold it with a numbers-correct crankcase (not numbers-matching).

What's the difference between numbers correct and numbers matching?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

ecallaway wrote:
janerick3 wrote:
finster wrote:

Not who you asked but I'd say it's like the '55 engine I have for my Bus:
The engine # is the same month/year as the production date of the Bus but it's not the original numbers matching engine from the factory.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ecallaway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
ecallaway wrote:
janerick3 wrote:
finster wrote:

The engine # is the same month/year as the production date of the Bus but it's not the original numbers matching engine from the factory.

Thanks Everett,

How would you know the difference? Do some VW birth certificates list the engine #? I guess in the absence of documentation there might be no way to tell?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

ecallaway wrote:
EverettB wrote:
ecallaway wrote:
janerick3 wrote:
finster wrote:

Thanks Everett,

How would you know the difference? Do some VW birth certificates list the engine #? I guess in the absence of documentation there might be no way to tell?

They no longer provide it but Yes, they will verify it's original if you get a birth certificate and provide the number.

For my '55 I don't know the original engine # but I guess I could give VW the number of the one I have just in case I got really, really lucky when I found it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

Numbers-matching: Documented as original to car

Numbers-correct: engine produced within 1-2 weeks of the car's build date, using resources such as Progressive Refinements and the Barndoor Registry as references.

For example, the 1957 I sold was produced in mid-September 1956, so the original engine would have been around 1550000. I found a case at a swap meet that started with 155, so there is a strong likelihood it came from a car transported from Germany on the same ship.
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

another dull seller.
After sending him a polite message, stating the many different things between a 54 and a 57, he still insist this is a 9/54 and to make proof he raised the price from €55k to €60k.... Laughing

Way to go, boss..... Rolling Eyes Laughing

VIN is 1 545 407. obviously a misinterpretation of the original (handwritten) title .
car is 25k-ish, maybe.

https://www.willhaben.at/iad/gebrauchtwagen/d/auto/vw-kaefer-ovali-641077919/

'52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
'54 Sunroof Oval project, Lichtbeige L275
'55 Wolfsburg panel project, Taubenblau L31 all og paint
'62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
'67 1500 Käfer, Lotus weiß L282 all og paint w/red interior
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

says quite clearly baujahres 1957, no? Think

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

I always put crosses on my 4s Very Happy

Tell him to compare the VIN # noted with the year noted since they both have the same "7" character.
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

You name it, Everett.
But with people like that, that's no use at all. Common sense doesn't make sense anymore these days. Very Happy

You have to remember that in Europe we use crosses on our hand written 7s. Everybody over here is used to them.

He may have bought this cheap or inherited this bug and now trying to flip it at hideous price.

Anybody, only just remotely interested in owning an oval bug, or any bug for that matter, should know that the golden #1Mio bug was a 1955.
That is like knowing that Elvis was called the King of RocknRoll, if you ever heard one of his records. We are not asking much, are we ?

As a matter of fact, the 2 interior pics probably show a dozen details that most people on this forum could name the year - 57 ! ( heater openings in rockers @ A post, no ribs in doors, later Batwing wheel, small horn button, body and upholstery color, heater knob location, seat frames, door handles, emergency brake rubber boot, and on and on and on.... Wink )

I guess the price tag tells us all we need to know anyways.

'52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
'54 Sunroof Oval project, Lichtbeige L275
'55 Wolfsburg panel project, Taubenblau L31 all og paint
'62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
'67 1500 Käfer, Lotus weiß L282 all og paint w/red interior
a smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
You name it, Everett.
But with people like that, that's no use at all. Common sense doesn't make sense anymore these days. Very Happy

You have to remember that in Europe we use crosses on our hand written 7s. Everybody over here is used to them.

He may have bought this cheap or inherited this bug and now trying to flip it at hideous price.

Anybody, only just remotely interested in owning an oval bug, or any bug for that matter, should know that the golden #1Mio bug was a 1955.
That is like knowing that Elvis was called the King of RocknRoll, if you ever heard one of his records. We are not asking much, are we ?

As a matter of fact, the 2 interior pics probably show a dozen details that most people on this forum could name the year - 57 ! ( heater openings in rockers @ A post, no ribs in doors, later Batwing wheel, small horn button, body and upholstery color, heater knob location, seat frames, door handles, emergency brake rubber boot, and on and on and on.... Wink )

I guess the price tag tells us all we need to know anyways.

Do they not title cars in Europe like they do in the states?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160  Next
Jump to:
Page 157 of 160

Jump to: