Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DOT says my 56 is a 57
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:14 pm    Post subject: DOT says my 56 is a 57 Reply with quote

The DOT inspected my 1956 oval with vin number 1278474 and say it is a 1957 and will only title it as a 1957. All vin number registry that I find including The Samba vin registry say it is a 1956. I bought the car in Florida and brought it home to North Carolina . When I went to change the title into my name I had to have to have the car inspected by the DOT before they would give me a title. The DOT is adamant that the car is a 1957 and are going to title as a 1957. Im not sure how to convince them it is a 1956 so I get the title correct.
Any ideas ?
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: DOT says my 56 is a 57 Reply with quote

Did the model year change in August? That's typically the model year change.
My 59 was made in Dec. 58 and titled as a 59.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: DOT says my 56 is a 57 Reply with quote

That number shows up as an August number. So, since model years start in August and end in July, you got a 57.

Pretty sure VW changed from Calendar year (January to December) to Model year (August to July) in July 55. So that August of 55 is the start of the 56 model.

I am a little hazy on the actual dates because I think some manufactures have started different “model year” dates. But originally it was FDR who made the change to the system.

Google it! It’s a big rabbit hole!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: DOT says my 56 is a 57 Reply with quote

Jimbo is correct , my vert was built on August 9, 1955 so it’s a 1956 model. Non ribbed door, heater control next to shifter not behind e-brake.
(Even though my vin puts it as a July chassis number)
Beginning in August, 1955, the VW model years began in August of the previous year. Example: Aug., 1955=1956 model.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: DOT says my 56 is a 57 Reply with quote

That makes sense , it was an August car. I guess they are right to call it a 57.
Thanks guys.
h~moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: DOT says my 56 is a 57 Reply with quote

The numbers on the chart are for the LAST built in the month so that would put your car as an early September ‘56 car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: