Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Commercial hubcaps
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rachel
Samba Member

Location: in front of this computer... f-that, my buses want me outside with them....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Commercial hubcaps Reply with quote

Does anyone have literature that states what timeframe commercial gray caps had the center logos painted white? If so, what is the timeframe and what is the literature?

I have hypothesized that commercial caps had white painted logos late '50s to early '60s ('57ish to '63ish perhaps). My housemate, with whom this puzzle has been bantered, is not so reckless with his opinions. He did however cite, as a possible answer to the conundrum, an auction on eBay for commercial caps with white center logos titled NOS 1962-63-64 VW Bus Hubcaps though the seller states that he is "not sure about the year or model." I am holding firm in my views though. Can anyone help with this query?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the end:

5 Aug. 63

1 144 303
(221-223)
(241-251)

Hubcap for disc wheel
Now: VW sign no longer in color.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60DoubleTurd
Type 3 Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a 60 commercial in dove blue will the caps be grey or dove?? And if the answer is "it can be either", how can you tell which is correct for an individual bus. Will the birth cert have this info?

SBS #17
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RINC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My head hurts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
abuspilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustisnotacrime wrote:
My head hurts.

Probably not as bad as the winning bidders wallet. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

62type3square wrote:
If you have a 60 commercial in dove blue will the caps be grey or dove?? And if the answer is "it can be either", how can you tell which is correct for an individual bus. Will the birth cert have this info?

I'll make it even more confusing. On my '60 double cab the M code shows that it was ordered with chrome hubcaps! So, when I get real rims for the back I will run chrome caps just so I can have people say its incorrect Rolling Eyes and I will get to "correct" them.
I have too much spare time on my hands...
--Dan
spookymulder
Samba Proletariat

Location: I'm either at 95608, 97537 or 94708 only my CPA knows for sure

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what years red wheels and logo were used? Twisted Evil
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: commercial hubcaps Reply with quote

rachel wrote:
Does anyone have literature that states what timeframe commercial gray caps had the center logos painted white? If so, what is the timeframe and what is the literature?

I have hypothesized that commercial caps had white painted logos late '50s to early '60s ('57ish to '63ish perhaps). My housemate, with whom this puzzle has been bantered, is not so reckless with his opinions. He did however cite, as a possible answer to the conundrum, an auction on eBay for commercial caps with white center logos titled NOS 1962-63-64 VW Bus Hubcaps though the seller states that he is "not sure about the year or model." I am holding firm in my views though. Can anyone help with this query?
Well apparantly some fool (or shill bidder Think )thinks that those are worth over $700 Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing . Pesonally, I think they are repainted, and the auction was some kind of scam. Confused
60DoubleTurd
Type 3 Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
62type3square wrote:

I'll make it even more confusing. On my '60 double cab the M code shows that it was ordered with chrome hubcaps! So, when I get real rims for the back I will run chrome caps just so I can have people say its incorrect Rolling Eyes and I will get to "correct" them.
--Dan

Get copies of the birth cert and hand them out to all the non believers! Laughing Laughing

SBS #17
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with Hubcap Joe. He seems an honest person and forthright about how he came across them. I bid on them, but never thought it would get as high as it did. It seemed completely on the level.
I spoke to him on the 2nd day of the auction and attempted an offer to end the auction. He said if I had called him the first day, he would have sold them to me for $150. He got too many inquires, and sussed out that they would sell for much more. Too bad I didn't see the auction the first day.

Spoke with him this morning and he stated emphatically that he never expected them to go so high.
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
62type3square wrote:

--Dan

This stuff rules.
Minutia Matters!

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
Yellowbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustisnotacrime wrote:
My head hurts.

Learn to hold your liquor. Amateur.
Thanks. Thread went from me not being able to understand what Ipis was saying because English is obviously not his first language to me not being able to understand it because English is my first language Laughing

Fuel pumps galore:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=845378
SHSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orignuthinman wrote:
I spoke with Hubcap Joe. He seems an honest person and forthright about how he came across them. I bid on them, but never thought it would get as high as it did. It seemed completely on the level.
I spoke to him on the 2nd day of the auction and attempted an offer to end the auction. He said if I had called him the first day, he would have sold them to me for $150. He got too many inquires, and sussed out that they would sell for much more. Too bad I didn't see the auction the first day.

Spoke with him this morning and he stated emphatically that he never expected them to go so high.

When you offer to buy an item outright from ebay, what makes you think that the seller doesn't see that as an attempt to get something for potentially cheaper than if it ran the course of the auction. I never have understood that.
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHSC wrote:
orignuthinman wrote:

When you offer to buy an item outright from ebay, what makes you think that the seller doesn't see that as an attempt to get something for potentially cheaper than if it ran the course of the auction. I never have understood that.

It is called haggling or bargaining. If a good offer is made or they have a price in mind, it can work. What is there to understand? They get what they want and you pay what you can afford! Instead of getting caught up in th bidding frenzy that is created on Ebay, and pay too much.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SHSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orignuthinman wrote:
SHSC wrote:
orignuthinman wrote:

It is called haggling or bargaining. If a good offer is made or they have a price in mind, it can work. What is there to understand? They get what they want and you pay what you can afford! Instead of getting caught up in th bidding frenzy that is created on Ebay, and pay too much.

When you do that, you are tipping your hat and telling them that you can't afford to ride out the auction.
Nic B-C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you are telling them you cant be bothered with auctions and you just want to buy something outright without all the hastle of bidding on twenty items the same in the vague hope that you may win one of them when you needed it on the bus 2 weeks prior.

having this problem with a T25 at the minute as theonly ones i can find are on ebay and the bus has now run out of tax and abandoned out the back of my house Sad
Mango Juice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rachel!!... I believe 1963 was the last year for the painted center crest.

by looking at those hubcaps on the big auction site, they look to be new old stock and not repaints.....very similar in color to one I bought off this site that was supposed to be n.o.s.

I had a low mileage 1962 Kombi (45k) with its original hubcaps and they were not this same color so not sure were Hubcap Joe arrived at this year on auction, light beige with painted center, not grey at all....I have a photo of the type it had in my gallery photos.

Did 1961 year models have grey or beige caps??
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHSC wrote:
orignuthinman wrote:
SHSC wrote:
orignuthinman wrote:

When you do that, you are tipping your hat and telling them that you can't afford to ride out the auction.

BS! Tipped nothing and told them nothing. Made an offer and if they accept then it is a done deal. Your comment suggests you don't like it, but that is not my problem. I have had success with it in the past, and would have this time, had I found it a day earlier. For you info, I bid $750 and still lost.
I would rather have paid the $250 I offered and have been done with it.
Ebay creates exhorbitant prices similar to Barrett Jackson Auctions.......insane prices for people with too much money......I am not one of those, so I look for any angle to get what I need!

You seem to have another problem with it, but withheld your issue with it.
So cough it up!
TOOB Member #15
Brian
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHSC wrote:
orignuthinman wrote:
SHSC wrote:
orignuthinman wrote:

Or you're trying to get a deal. Either way most sellers will decline those offers. I do.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orignuthinman wrote:
For you info, I bid $750 and still lost.
I would rather have paid the $250 I offered and have been done with it.
Ebay creates exhorbitant prices similar to Barrett Jackson Auctions.......insane prices for people with too much money......I am not one of those, so I look for any angle to get what I need!

$750 for a set of hubcaps isn't insane? LOL

So you see you were trying to get a deal if you offered $250 and not $750. Very Happy

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: