Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DRD Racing Heads - [email protected]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: DRD RACING HEADS
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: August 21, 2017
woodsbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I am one of the lucky ones, but Darren has been great to deal with, has never taken more than 24 hours to return a call(usually within an hour) and has spent up to 45 minutes talking with me answering questions and providing knowledge. Two of my friends have ordered heads from him, based on my experiences with him and are satisfied.
Take Care
Kenric
marbleknight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No feedback in a really long time... is anyone still experiencing issues?
jl_1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had DRD built an engine using parts I supplied mostly, in 2010. Was not a pleasant experience, bad communications, emails not answered or delayed for a long time before answering.
Recently pulled the engine and found the lifter bores were not sleeved when it was supposed to by DRD at the time the engine was built. Attached please see the invoice showing the machine work was charged.
Tried sending emails then to DRD in an attempt to have the issue sorted more than 10 times for the past weeks since the problem was found, no answer whatsoever.
Will not buy again from DRD as I do not consider that at all reliable nor responsible.

This is the picture that shows the unsolved lifter bores.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the invoice.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
RocketRevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: DRD Racing Heads - [email protected] Reply with quote

Hi Guys
Looks like l'm another disgruntled customer.
In 13/05/15 l purchased, paid in full for engine kit. Approx. $6500 Australian
After about 3months received parts including pistons barrels crank rods which was great, but No heads. This is the L6 brand Darren markets,
so l thought they might take a little longer being a custom type.
Tried to contact Darren many of times and received email stating heads are nearly finished and would be delivered before Xmas Great.
Didn't happen. Then after many emails and messages left on ph. machine, received email that heads nearly finished again and would be sending tracking number. Still nothing. Sending emails every week and leaving message on ph. but nothing.
And it's coming to April now so nearly a year in total since paid for these parts.
I have bought lots of parts from the USA for my VW Syncro over the years, from a lot of different companies. This is not good.
Can anyone contact Darren for me, since its been 2mnths and no response.
My inv. No. is 528 he will have my details and many emails.
Getting desperate now and just want to finish my vw project.
regards Revo
RocketRevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: DRD Racing Heads - [email protected] Reply with quote

Hi VW enthusiasts beware of DRD RacingHeads.
It's been nearly two years since l paid for parts from DRDRacing and still haven't received my vw type4 heads.
And they weren't cheap.
All this time l send Darren emails and phone messages with no response.
Even had friends go there, to his factory.
And they told them to go away.(Its got nothing to do with you.)
I'm located is Australia so he obviously doesn't give a shit if your not from the USA.
I purchase a lot of parts from the States and always had very good service,
until now.
Hope people read this and stay away from Darren and DRD Racing Heads.
I have always love VW since a teenager and now that l'm older and can afford to restore my car l come across these a..holes.
Sign disgruntled customer.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: DRD Racing Heads - [email protected] Reply with quote

I sent him an email about your postings above and copied you.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
i_am_cool_fred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: DRD Racing Heads - [email protected] Reply with quote

What was the outcome of this/\ in starting to get nervous reading all these posts

Brian Denning, as seen on Gearz TV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: DRD Racing Heads - [email protected] Reply with quote

I will let that guy reply but to the best of my knowledge it was NOT been resolved and he has given him chance after chance to take care of it, with limited replies from the seller.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
i_am_cool_fred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: DRD Racing Heads - [email protected] Reply with quote

I got a shopping notification so I'll wait and see next Tuesday when they arrive. I'll keep posted

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
i_am_cool_fred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: DRD Racing Heads - [email protected] Reply with quote

So, I said I'd do a follow up. I bought L5 heads and a set of 5.325 22mm connecting rods from DRD on January 27th. Payment went through, website says "allow 15 days for payment processing and 25 days for production. At the time I ordered a custom cut crank and can through air cooled so I never really paid attention to the time frame. Most of my aircooled order came in, some issues on manufacturer end that they told me about....fast forward to March 6. I went to their website to see my order status....no orders past or present present. So first I started doing google searches o the conpany scared beyond belief of reviews I emailed them. "We have your order shipping out this week" HELL YA I thought. April 6th not seeing anything I'm in full blown panic mode. Thinking I just lost 2k on this deal. I'm furious, at the point of calling the credit card company and contesting the charge. But, working in sells my self I contact them again. "We have your order shipping or this week here is tracking numbers" SAWEET. One week later heads and connecting rods cam ein. Rods were way to short and 24mm instead of 22. I contact them they said I ordered the 24's(in my excitement to start ordering parts after three months of research I can see this happening) but said send em back and they will ship me what I needed. Less than two week turn around and I have all the right stuff.

Outward appearance everything looks great, I haven't done any mixing or testin on stuff but it all looks great. All this stuff is made to order. I feel an honest answer on e.t.a. Would be the best critique I could give in the situation otherwise, I have zero complaints. The two times I talked on the phone they were very nice as well. The long drawn out wait makes you nervous when you have over 2k sitting out of your bank account with nothing to show for it and no contact.

All in all if you aren't in a hurry(stock motor runs fine for me, just leaks like a colander) I'd say buy from em, give em a chance

OldSchoolPerformance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: DRD Racing Heads - [email protected] Reply with quote

In defense of Darren, I ordered a set of rods a few weeks ago while he spent almost an hour on the phone with me giving me all kinds of valuable technical info. after seeing the last few posts I called and left a message twice about the ETA of my parts, since I assumed they were on the shelf when I ordered. after another week I got a shipping confirmation. I previously ordered a set of heads and got them in a couple months as promised. I believe he's a one man shop, and is most likely being overrun with orders. because he's doing machine work all day, if he stopped to answer all the calls and emails, your parts would take even longer to get. sometimes you have to wait if you want quality. the fact that he's making everything to order is a good thing because he is doing the work personally himself. I've had CB parts fail on me many times, so if you want Chinese junk quickly, order it from them. after talking with Darren a few times and as an engineer myself, I think he knows what he's doing, and if he's getting swamped with orders, that proves it. I hate feeling or getting screwed as much as anyone, but give him the benefit of the doubt.

[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: DRD Racing Heads - [email protected] Reply with quote

Update: Darren Gurrola sold all his tooling and everything to EMPI, including $2k worth of OUR property (he used to do heads for us). Douche' move on his part.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: DRD Racing Heads - [email protected] Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Update: Darren Gurrola sold all his tooling and everything to EMPI, including $2k worth of OUR property (he used to do heads for us). Douche' move on his part.

Shocked

wow...that's shitty. I bought my DRD heads directly from you a few years back to avoid this b/s....

wonder what will happen to everyone's orders now

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
petemart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: DRD Racing Heads - [email protected] Reply with quote

Wow.. What a top human!

I see his site is also gone.

Word on the street was that he was producing all their heads, so maybe he's found his happy place..
EPETREA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: DRD Racing Heads - [email protected] Reply with quote

I can't complain about his customer service because it was always good. Orders shipped as promised etc etc. however a " balanced " fan arrived not so balanced it was a turd. I am sitting on an engine with his L6 heads and have yet to break in Now I'm a bit nervous about those being trouble as well. I hope not!!
felipe gonzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: DRD Racing Heads - [email protected] Reply with quote

Hi, I have a question about DRD turn key engine. I bought one, Long time ago and I'm wandering if that engine (1915cc turn key engine) has the oil cooler in the dog house. As I would like to get rid of the external oil cooler and fan. I'm living in a cold place and it doesn't make sense to have that runing. But I'm in doubt if we have that "original" oil cooler. Anu help? I search in the forum but can't find anything!
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: DRD Racing Heads - [email protected] Reply with quote

felipe gonzo wrote:
Hi, I have a question about DRD turn key engine. I bought one, Long time ago and I'm wandering if that engine (1915cc turn key engine) has the oil cooler in the dog house. As I would like to get rid of the external oil cooler and fan. I'm living in a cold place and it doesn't make sense to have that runing. But I'm in doubt if we have that "original" oil cooler. Anu help? I search in the forum but can't find anything!

you should be able to remove the triangle shaped piece on back of fan shroud (looking at engine from pulley side) and verify if it's in there.
felipe gonzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: DRD Racing Heads - [email protected] Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
felipe gonzo wrote:

you should be able to remove the triangle shaped piece on back of fan shroud (looking at engine from pulley side) and verify if it's in there.

Is that on the back of the engine? Is there a way I can check it out with the engine install in the car?
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: DRD Racing Heads - [email protected] Reply with quote

felipe gonzo wrote:
vwinnovator wrote:
felipe gonzo wrote:

Is that on the back of the engine? Is there a way I can check it out with the engine install in the car?

Yes.. There should be a single 10mm bolt (sometime people put a sheet metal screw)
remove the bolt/screw and shift the piece to take a peak.
felipe gonzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: DRD Racing Heads - [email protected] Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
felipe gonzo wrote:
vwinnovator wrote:
felipe gonzo wrote:

Yes.. There should be a single 10mm bolt (sometime people put a sheet metal screw)

remove the bolt/screw and shift the piece to take a peak.

ok, I'll try that! thanks a lot!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: