Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Squareback Rejuvenation - A Soap Opera
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 74, 75, 76  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I thought I bought the ignition switch, but all I got was the key cylinder. I sent the seller an electronic letter, and he requested pictures. Being new to this, I do not know if I have something to take a picture of. I found in the parts that came with the Squareback, a cylinder with a flat top dome, and a disk of plastic with ~3" wires soldered to it. The dome of the cylinder has a key hole, and a odd shaped brass disk inside. Is this all I need, or is there more? Thank you for all your help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you looking for just the electrical portion? if so good luck, its unobtanium. one year only switch and nobody has it. your best shot is going to a yard (like interstate Rolling Eyes )

i still think its worth us coming down and going through the system assuming nothing. otherwise, we wont catch anything that may be wrong and it'll only be a matter of time before she wont start again. Mr. Adney is sending you a dist., but is it the T3 or is it a t4 dist?

im good for monday at 8 Cool oh and dont worry about a lift and all that. you know i dont have access to any of that stuff either Laughing ill just bring my good aluminum jack and some stands and maybe my wheel ramps.
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I was asking for was a picture. The seller I bought it from was parting a '71, and so it should be with him: he just needs to know what to look for. I am going to post on the List, for that is how another got it.

Joe, you are thinking the same thing as me, but I do not want to be a burden. Remember, I am doing a 30,000, so hopefully it will not have problems? So, why not get it done right the first time.

The distributor is a Type 3 AC. The one I had was a AB, and I still have the Type 4.

Sure, 8. Very Happy Boy, my Oma is going to love having a auto on stands in front of the house! Laughing Also, Joe, it sounds like you are going to need a Squareback to bring all the stuff! Laughing I will P.M. you what I have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once we get it running you can always come to my house and work on it. I have plenty of space, right Joe. Very Happy
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing is, I hate to be a burden. Also, I cannot seem to find the right turn signal relay. Other than that, I be game. Plus, it would look cool having a group of Volkswagens driving together. Laughing
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am parting out a 71 Fastback. The ignition switch is good in it. If you cnat get it straightened out, I could pull the switch out of it.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thank you for the offer, and more importantly the reply. I know you have a '71 that you are parting, thus why I was asking for a picture, or a confirmation what I have is correct and complete.

Here is the part I posted on the List. This may clarify: After I wrote this, I thought I try my hand at taking apart the one I received. No luck except for moving it a grand 1mm, mushrooming the edge, and putting a scratch on the finish. So, what did I do wrong? I followed the Bentley to a tee.

Then, I tried getting the old one out. I failed miserably. First off, I thought you "dropped the column" by removing the Allen head bolts. So, now I can not get the housing back on. Next, I still seemed to brake the terminal. [It is now almost together. Boy, M.E.K. works wonders. If you do not have a can, get one.] After pulling the broken piece of it off the wire, I could not get the unit out. Yes, I did take out the cover with the two screws. I tried prying, but I am doing more damage than good. I guess what I need is better illustrated instructions for a block of wood. [Yes I was frustrated, but I leave it for emphasis, and a little amusement.]
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is, that mine is a runnng car at this point. Once I take the Ign. switch out, it isn't anymore, and the car will end its life where it is at.
Let me see what I can do tomorrow night, if it isnt raining.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply, and the effort. My bad, I thought it was decommissioned. Glad to here it is still going. Smile
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I stole the tires and wheels off it the other day. Only has 2 lug bolts now in each wheel, and the tires have to be aired up every so often.
It has been in the family so long, (1979) it is hard to actually "put it down".
And it doesnt have any insurance on it, so it cant leave the yard.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it is like the old family pet. What put it into moth ball, if you do not mind me asking? Seems that if it was that important, it still would be on the road. Joe had to decommissioned one of his Squarebacks, but it now lives on. Better than all the parts deteriorating, and having no use.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The body has so much rust, that the car is not safe to drive. It will make a good organ donor for my other cars. The pan is good. No rust even under the battery tray. The engine is tired, but buildable, and the automatic trans is still going, but needs to be resealed. And the front end is still good. Like I said, I already took the tires off for my 69. The driver door may go on the 73.
And I have decided recently that the FI will also go on the 73.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I thought there was ways to repair rust? Also, I thought 1968-1971 doors would not work for the 1972/3? Sure a wonder that the body would rust before the pan.

I got the old one out, so you do not need to get any pictures. Mr. Adney said to follow the Bentley. The Bentley was wrong in showing just the cylinder coming out. Thus, I did not want this to happen, so I just skipped it. When he said to follow, I tried the method, and it nearly fell right into my hand. Once I got the switch out, I see that the steering wheel lock needs to be released before it will come out.

Now that I have pulled the one out of the auto, I realize it is the parts that go into the cylinder are missing, for the cylinder is still in the casing, plus the wires/disk. I sent him an electronic letter asking to investigate, and if still in the steering housing to leave them. If it is the later, I will request he sent the whole unit. Should I walk him through the proper way to get it out?

I am greatful that I have people like you to make since of this unknown area. Due to this, I am taking notes to supplement the Bentley, for it lacks in other areas also.

Last edited by Adriel Rowley on Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are pictures of one out of the column.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hope this helps.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thank you Mr. Wolfe! In the second photograph, furthest assembly on the right, is that the actual switch? If it is disassembled, is it still usable? If so, could I see an explosion of it? Once again, thank you!
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it is as you see it in that picture, it should be usable. The switch portion slides into the back to the column lock portion and is held by that itty bitty screw you see in the picture.
On the other end, you can see the spring clip that holds the key tumbler part. It snaps into a groove in the other end. It is released by pushing a small screw driver/ paper clip/ball point into a hole on the side of the main portion.
You sometimes have to hold your mouth just right to get it to release. Oh, and the key has to be in the on position.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if this mystery assembly is disassembled, it is no good?

I sense that I am not being clear enough. I bought the Squareback from a family friend, who we will call Ms. K (to protect her). Thus, I trust what Ms. K says. All I know is that the ignition failed. The person that installed the fix said that it could have been due to the large weight of her key chain. Ms. K did not want to have the auto rekeyed, and opted for a push button start.

Now fast forward. The turn signal assembly failed, and so I was hunting for that one year switch. Then, a person posted about parting a 1971 Fastback, and what to save. I end up advising him, and sending copies of the procedures in the Bentley. To make a long story short, I purchased several things including the whole (or at least I thought I was) ignition, and the turn signal assembly. When I got the parts, some were worthless, and the switch was worse of than he led me (it was broken when it was removed). Part of this was my fault, and he is willing to resolve it. Thus, why this post. I digress. So, I had Mr. Adney rebuild the turn signal assembly. Part of the instructions was not to ever remove it after installing it, and I would if I ever decided to go to stock. Now that I decide to install the ignition switch (to avoid having to request Mr. Adney's services), it is not complete. So, to avoid hassling you, Mr. Wolfe, I took out my ignition switch.

I now realize that the ignition switch I was sent is missing the parts in the mystery part. I would like to get everything right before the 13th, when Jack, Joe, and I work on the Squareback. Some of the work requires that it run. Supposedly the rebuilt parts by Mr. Adney should arrive this weekend. I am only telling you this for information, and demonstrate the situation I am in.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That switch as I pictured it is perfectly useable. It is seperated into it main components. The Tumbler with the key on the left, the column lock in the middle and the electrical portion on the right. That is the way the parts could have been bought from the dealer parts department. I took it apart so you could see how it was assembled.
The black plastic piece that is at the wire terminals has to be removed to get the switch in and out of the column. Be sure you keep track of what order the wires are in the connector before you remove it. That is why I have scotch tape wrapped around it so I do not loose it.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, I am getting names. Thank you very much! Very Happy The column lock housing that I received has the shell of the electrical portion still in it. Does this mean the electrical portion is not usable? If so, what part do I need to replace my unit that was in the Squareback (not the one I received), and for how much? I can turn the tumbler all the way, including crank position, but have to crank with the button.

The black plastic piece is what I called the terminal. I broke it, thus, I am going to have to consult the Bentley for what goes where. I missed the release, which was hard to see (I have trouble with contrasts). I know where it is; in the vise so the M.E.K. has time to cure.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black plastic piece is actually 2 pieces, which seperate to allow the wires to be removed.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 74, 75, 76  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 76

Jump to: