Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early Link Pins
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Early Link Pins Reply with quote

just saw these pop up in the classifieds:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=430045

so ronnie, what's the story?
how are the bearings caged, metal or plastic?
how is the head of the pin shaped, is it gonna fit under the cap? some of the late kits don't work very well.
how does the quality seem to be?
do the caps have the little edge/lip around the bottom of them to help hold them in the spindle?
how are the shims, are they decent, or are they kinda flimsy?

and now the million dollar question, who's gonna try them first and report on them? it's about time someone started making these.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mango Juice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope they are not like the repro asian safari windows Laughing

How about you you try them out Jon!!

I have a stack of front axel beams I could drop off to you for rebuilds Very Happy
commercial air
Samba Member

Location: Driving in the crumple zone...Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a set a from Concept 1. The bearings are metal caged, pin head seems bang on, caps have the lip, the shims are solid and really nice, the oversized extra bushings are a nice touch, and the quality seems great.
All that being said, I'm sure someone will get them installed before I do and be able to give a better report on the kit. In the box they look good... Going on the bus is the real test.

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Link Pins Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
just saw these pop up in the classifieds:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=430045

so ronnie, what's the story?
how are the bearings caged, metal or plastic?
how is the head of the pin shaped, is it gonna fit under the cap? some of the late kits don't work very well.
how does the quality seem to be?
do the caps have the little edge/lip around the bottom of them to help hold them in the spindle?
how are the shims, are they decent, or are they kinda flimsy?

and now the million dollar question, who's gonna try them first and report on them? it's about time someone started making these.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As stated in the thread above Very Happy
I am installing a set on my DC, 5" dropped spindle disc brake yadda yadda. I have serious dollars in this bus so if they break I'm out a ton of dough and nobody likes to loose money.
They are made in a foreign country, have that smell (the preservative these coat stuff with)
Over-all a decent kit and the king pin bushings in two sizes with shims is an added bonus.
I only have one set left as of the time on the post (they went FAST)
I wil have more and am sure the market place will be fooded with them soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bustoration.com/Link-Pin-Kit-Type-2-1955-1963_p_2-849.html

ok Ronnie, or anyone else who has bought, installed, or used this kit, what's the scoop on it?
-are there needle bearings for the link pins? are they metal caged?
-are the heads of the link pins acceptable, or do they make it nearly impossible to get the dust caps on like the brazilian late style link pins do?
-how is the quality?
-how do the races fit in the king pins?
-how thick are the shims (in mm please), and are they nice and crisp or do they have stamping flash on them?
-has anyone used this kit? comments or feedback?
does anyone have better pics of the parts other than the crappy generic looking stock photo in the ad?

thanks for any feedback, i need a couple sets of early link pins, came across that page on Ronnie's site.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used that exact kit (although not purchased from ronnie) in my 61 kombi and the fitment was perfect.

-yes needle bearings, yes metal caged
-sorry dont know about dust caps, I have dropped spindles
-quality appeared very nice to me, the fitment was excellent
-I will try and measure some left over shims tonight, they are crisp with no flashing or burrs
-feedback? I would buy this kit again.

sorry dont know if that helps your decision
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
http://www.bustoration.com/Link-Pin-Kit-Type-2-1955-1963_p_2-849.html

ok Ronnie, or anyone else who has bought, installed, or used this kit, what's the scoop on it?
-are there needle bearings for the link pins? are they metal caged?
-are the heads of the link pins acceptable, or do they make it nearly impossible to get the dust caps on like the brazilian late style link pins do?
-how is the quality?
-how do the races fit in the king pins?
-how thick are the shims (in mm please), and are they nice and crisp or do they have stamping flash on them?
-has anyone used this kit? comments or feedback?
does anyone have better pics of the parts other than the crappy generic looking stock photo in the ad?

thanks for any feedback, i need a couple sets of early link pins, came across that page on Ronnie's site.

I ordered a set from Wolfsburg West last month expecting the worst and was pleasantly surprised. The oversized kingpin bushings had the grease groove already machined in them which was cool. The 12 kingpin seals included did not feel as nice as the ones available seperately from WW. They felt more like rubber rather than the plastic feeling ones WW sells. I figured the plastic ones might work better fighting against grease. I didn't realize these two items were included so that was a bonus. The bearings were needle bearings with metal cages and the quality seemed good. The outter races fit slightly looser than the originals (a very tight slip fit rather than a press fit). I did not measure the shims but the thickness seemed similar to the originals. They were a bit rough and had some flashing on them, and did not sit 100% flat when looking on them at the side......especially when stacked up. I spent a little bit of time cleaning them up to make them usable but I would have preferred good used ones instead. The included grease caps seemed to fit fine....those are always a little tricky to install but I didn't notice them to be any harder than the originals. The adjustment groove machined into the linkpin wasn't perfectly smooth like the original, but it worked fine. They also included a bunch of extra shims (not linkpin shims) to replace the phenolic kingpin washers if needed.....I ended up using a couple to take up some of the slack when setting up the end float on the kingpins. I would have preffered oversized kingpin spacers, but I don't think those are available.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the input. i looked at WW, but they only have a pic of the 4 link pins, so i did not think it was the whole kit (then i read the description).
so what they sell is the same as what ronnie has pictured?
glad to hear the quality/parts are acceptable.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
thanks for the input. i looked at WW, but they only have a pic of the 4 link pins, so i did not think it was the whole kit (then i read the description). so what they sell is the same as what ronnie has pictured?
glad to hear the quality/parts are acceptable.

The kit I received looked identical to the one Ronnie has pictured. It came all neatly packaged in a white cardboard box with no markings that would indicate the country of origin.

Last edited by campingbox on Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again for the info. (my guess is china)
Culito

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So as long as the king pins themselves are not badly scored or pitted, everything else to do both sides is in this kit?

If the king pins are worn a bit, can you dress them up with a file and/or emery cloth?

Just making sure. My king pins are wobbly as hell.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have recent info on which link pins to buy for an early bus?
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know which are the best, but there are some crappy sets out there. I rebuilt a set for a guy and one pin was slightly larger than the other. The shims all had huge burrs on them. I'm sure someone else here as more for you.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know where to get the best pins for an early?
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: