Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wanna race?
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Wanna race? Reply with quote

I guess this story centers on self esteem. What builds one person's sense of self worth may mean nothing to another. For example, I am male. Getting my hair done or buying a cute new pair of shoes is a complete zero. Nada. Nothing. But having a fast car? Ha! That is pure testosterone!

Now, I have been driving around in an old beat up pickup truck that I bought new about the end of the Crimean War. The radio doesn't work, but it doesn't need to. I couldn't hear it above the rattles. Sometimes I drive my wife's car. It's a recent model family sedan. Read that: boring. But I have had an old VW Vanagon in the driveway for several years needing a new engine. Last month, I got it fixed and now that is what I drive.

Compared to the truck, this van is hot stuff. It's 5,600 pounds being pushed around by a 90 horsepower four banger, but everything in life is relative. Finally, I'm out looking for trouble. Wanna race?

There is no point in challenging the Rice Rockets. Those guys don't play golf. They don't know the concept of handicap. Besides, it has been years since I've seen the front end of a Honda Civic. No, I was after bigger game.

Like UPS trucks.

Sure enough, I found myself sitting at a stop light next to Big Brown. I gunned the engine. He was game. Then the light turned.

The race was on! I had him off the line but he was gaining on me. The VW was screaming through the gears as we were hurdling down the road. Neck and neck! What a race! It was an adrenaline rush like no other.

Just as he was about to pull ahead, the UPS driver chickened out. We had hit 40 miles per hour in less than a mile and he didn't have the guts for it. Me and my van had beat somebody! I'm feeling so charged! This is great! I have to do this again. So, who's next?

I'm thinking the city bus.
CarreraRS2.7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing That's great!

Gigi: Saturn Yellow 1974 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

El Barto: Rosso 2017 Fiat 500 Abarth
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tylinol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Maybe the garbage truck? Or someone in an electric wheelchair (those things really fly these days!).

Or a Porsche 914!

72 Fiat 850 Spider - Finally alive and...oh wait, never mind...wait there it goes!...whoops, false alarm...oh - wait wait...nope, nothing.
Mexicanhippie714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is pretty funny, it made me laugh. I tell some of my friends that when i'm speeding or "haulling ass" i'm probably going the speed limit. It feels like i'm flying though. I drive a 72 vw bus kombi stock engine
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
ladybug89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you should feel special and fast Cool .....

last year i was in my buddies jeep wrangler and we were going up hill, and a UPS truck passed us, and he was cooking up that hill. so i guess if you wanted, you probably could beat my freind in a race with his 05' jeep. Laughing Laughing so i guess, find the right car and you could beat them. Wink Cool
BigDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! A new victim. So where is this Jeep Wrangler and what hill are we going to race down?
ladybug89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahahahha..........newport beach,ca.........and we were going up a the mountain in big bear.....hahahah... Laughing

i could jsut see his face now......... another slow car passed me!!!! Shocked
RocktheStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, that was a good story bro. Cool

(0)(=|=)(0) 1968 Karmann Ghia-stock
HermanSwanson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing you didn't kill someone... Laughing
GostaBerling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I was going to have a story like that once. I was driving a 3.0 v6 automatic ford ranger. Came upon a little Toyota turdcell that was merging on the highway. I tried to get ahead of him but failed miserably. Oh the shame!!! Moral of the story, you might be able to take an 2000 ranger with over 150k, at least at highway speeds.

current 1979 fiat spider, 72 Contempo Hightop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Bay74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love racing in my 1974 automatic bay window.

It's fast off the line, and shoots off to 20 mph, then its a very slow climb to get to 40. So I can usually beat them right off the line, but then they just pass me. It's still fun to see the people's reactions.
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i'm cool when i beat ricers off the line at a red light cuz i have a faster reaction time (and they don't know we're racing) i'm surprised that more people haven't tried to race me (maybe they think that my bug might beat them and they don't want to take a chance losing to 55 hp.

My goal in life is to beat a sport bike with my bug....I hate everyone who rides one and thinks they're the shit
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bajavwracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mexicanhippie714 wrote:
That is pretty funny, it made me laugh. I tell some of my friends that when i'm speeding or "haulling ass" i'm probably going the speed limit. It feels like i'm flying though. I drive a 72 vw bus kombi stock engine

i drive exactly the same thing Smile. odlly enough once i beat a rice racer Twisted Evil apperantly the reverse and first must be close to each other on a honda, he floored it and flew back on the green light Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LUNATIK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Wanna race? Reply with quote

BigDog wrote:
I guess this story centers on self esteem. What builds one person's sense of self worth may mean nothing to another. For example, I am male. Getting my hair done or buying a cute new pair of shoes is a complete zero. Nada. Nothing. But having a fast car? Ha! That is pure testosterone!

Now, I have been driving around in an old beat up pickup truck that I bought new about the end of the Crimean War. The radio doesn't work, but it doesn't need to. I couldn't hear it above the rattles. Sometimes I drive my wife's car. It's a recent model family sedan. Read that: boring. But I have had an old VW Vanagon in the driveway for several years needing a new engine. Last month, I got it fixed and now that is what I drive.

Compared to the truck, this van is hot stuff. It's 5,600 pounds being pushed around by a 90 horsepower four banger, but everything in life is relative. Finally, I'm out looking for trouble. Wanna race?

There is no point in challenging the Rice Rockets. Those guys don't play golf. They don't know the concept of handicap. Besides, it has been years since I've seen the front end of a Honda Civic. No, I was after bigger game.

Like UPS trucks.

Sure enough, I found myself sitting at a stop light next to Big Brown. I gunned the engine. He was game. Then the light turned.

The race was on! I had him off the line but he was gaining on me. The VW was screaming through the gears as we were hurdling down the road. Neck and neck! What a race! It was an adrenaline rush like no other.

Just as he was about to pull ahead, the UPS driver chickened out. We had hit 40 miles per hour in less than a mile and he didn't have the guts for it. Me and my van had beat somebody! I'm feeling so charged! This is great! I have to do this again. So, who's next?

Awsome story It had me laughing in bed for a while, I had to get out of bed to come and give you props on this one....

Thanks for the laugh

Regards Laughing Laughing
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing dale Jarrit wasn't driving The big brown truck. He wouldn't have chickened out till he got close to 50!
HermanSwanson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like making the vehicle nice and loud, and finding some random dude in town and racing them. Sometime they look at me like I am nuts, and sometime they actually try it! Some people just laugh when they see some red Beetle pretending they are going to race them.
I would laugh if I was them, too... Rolling Eyes Laughing
npconnor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love pulling up at a stop light and reving my engine at some ricer or other sprts car. Sometimes you can tell they're having a good time and it's all smiles. But other times, people get really mad and then tear off leaving me in the dust. It's more fun than you can possibly imagine. Laughing
BBSquarebackChick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Wanna race? Reply with quote

BigDog wrote:

Like UPS trucks.

Laughing Laughing Laughing This one had me in tears that is pretty funny Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: