Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 217, 218, 219 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

You don't need to read the entire thread.

Do a search or post your new question here.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Searching works better if you do

- Search Title Only
- click Posts verses Topics

Don't know if Everett could make these choices the default of not ?

It also helps to limit your search to the particular vehicle you are dealing with when this is applicable.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

To be more clear, I meant search this topic specifically.
There is a box at the top of every topic to search that topic only.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Anybody here try cam2 blue blood racing oil?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zdmk07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

I've mentioned going to syn oil in a 1970 Bug to 2 mechanics. Both said that's fine but u can never go back to conventional. I've always understood that was an old wives tale.

Are there any facts (not really looking for opinions) that support this that u are aware of? Is it a VW thing? Thx, Dennis.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

It's a myth.

Instead of looking for evidence to debunk the myth, you must look for the facts to prove it is true.
Zdmk07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
It's a myth.

Instead of looking for evidence to debunk the myth, you must look for the facts to prove it is true.

Either way someone goes would answer my question!!! Thx, Dennis.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Zdmk07 wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
It's a myth.

So your mechanic friends say dumb things, and it's up to us to prove them right or wrong? Why not ask them for their sources? Wink

It sounds to me like they are getting your question mixed up with the difference between non-detergent and detergent oil. Unless you'd been using non-detergent oil in the past, there is no cause for concern.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Zdmk07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Towel Rail wrote:
Zdmk07 wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
It's a myth.

So your mechanic friends say dumb things, and it's up to us to prove them right or wrong? Why not ask them for their sources? Wink

It sounds to me like they are getting your question mixed up with the difference between non-detergent and detergent oil. Unless you'd been using non-detergent oil in the past, there is no cause for concern.

I agree except for being dumb and u could be right on w confused issue. I would think more of an ignorance issue as not educated on synthetics. Ignorance is not a negative term in this respect. I believe it must be more of an old school issue and not knowing better. Same story u get w old cars and old motorcycles. Heard them both.
But being new to WVs I thought maybe some sort of VW issue and not an oil issue. But, I thought I had to ask on this oil thread. Just wanted to check here, no big issue. Thx, Dennis
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Zdmk07 wrote:
Towel Rail wrote:
Zdmk07 wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
It's a myth.

I agree except for being dumb and u could be right on w confused issue. I would think more of an ignorance issue as not educated on synthetics. Ignorance is not a negative term in this respect. I believe it must be more of an old school issue and not knowing better. Same story u get w old cars and old motorcycles. Heard them both.
But being new to WVs I thought maybe some sort of VW issue and not an oil issue. But, I thought I had to ask on this oil thread. Just wanted to check here, no big issue. Thx, Dennis

Just for the record, I'm not calling you ignorant. We all have to start somewhere. Your mechanic friends have no excuse, though. Being old-school doesn't give you a pass to quit learning new things. Synthetics have been around for longer than I've been alive! Wink

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Zdmk07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Quote:
Just for the record, I'm not calling you ignorant. We all have to start somewhere. Your mechanic friends have no excuse, though. Being old-school doesn't give you a pass to quit learning new things. Synthetics have been around for longer than I've been alive! Wink

No problem as I didn't think u were speaking to me but of the mechanics. The ignorance comment was about them (defending why they may be afraid) and agreeing w what u said and they're just not educated w syn.
Old school mechanics is all I can find around Birmingham because sadly there's no money in air-cooled VWs and no one young will hop into business. But I am too crippled up to start crawling under cars or bending over into hoods again. I have no choices.
But sadly when I say old school, and I'm one, we are just somewhat set in our way. The 2 I talked to were probably close to my age (68 soon) and change sometimes scares us!!! They just don't know the truth and advantages. I used syn in vintage HD's and dropped oil temps approximately 20 degrees. Engine still gets to operating temps but oil cooled down.

We are good, thx Dennis.
65 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Here is an oil designed for Air Cooled Engines..

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/dro/dt50-synthetic-15w-342html/
65 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Or this one for flat tappets..

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/dro/sr50-20w-50html/
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Maxima is expanding the line too, now more tyoes of oil for racing and classics, and gear oil too. Got a new flyer the other day.
Somebody must be buying it. Kind of feel bad it isn't me, or, anybody on here either apparently.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

I think it’s all hooey.
What’s wrong with real oil? Oh, the EPA regs.
Just get some Brad Penn, Lucas or some quality additive for your your oil of choice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

I stop in here every once in a while to observe the flaming dumpster fire from a safe distance, and found this that I felt appropriate-

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But I also wanted to add a question. For break-in oil on a new engine, would regular oil with a ZDDP additive be good, or should I really buy a dedicated oil for this purpose? This is assuming proper break-in procedure, manufacturer recommended cam lube, etc.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HeyWatchThis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

So moral of the story (I read about 20 pages of this and all it did was motivate me to research elsewhere);

-Pick a #W that matches your winter conditions (if they go below freezing at all in the winter)
-Pick a 30 or 40 on the 2nd number
-Zinc in the oil or a good zinc additive

yeah?

The only other thing I can hazard to guess is coefficient of thermal conductivity and specific heat, but my inclination is that they're all within a pretty narrow band, and likely all usable except at the extremes.

You want enough pressure to flow to the bearings, valves, etc... Not so much pressure that it kicks open the relief valves, and keeps oil from going to the cooler (at operating temp).
Agent47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Found this oil discussion video on youtube. The guy specifically talks about air cooled oil and goes to a refinery to get a thorough insight on oils. It is in some regards basic info but still helpful.

https://youtu.be/99cJ5sHG0oI
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Agent47 wrote:
Found this oil discussion video on youtube. The guy specifically talks about air cooled oil and goes to a refinery to get a thorough insight on oils. It is in some regards basic info but still helpful.

https://youtu.be/99cJ5sHG0oI

Nice video, but the conclusion just doesn't fit our 40-50 year old cars all that well. The original oils for these ancient engines just aren't available any more and even if they were you wouldn't want an oil with that low of a level of protection. What we are stuck with is figuring out which modern oils work well. The ACVW oil temperature regulating system is also unique and isn't addressed at all in the video.
Agent47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

The biggest part that was relevent was getting oil with higher zinc which is similar to older oil. In the beginning the engine builder was discussing how cars with motors like the Porsche benefit from their "Racing" oil because of it higher zinc content that typical oils dont, because it fries catalytic converters. Beyond that the rest could be found out with a simple google search.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 217, 218, 219 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 218 of 235

Jump to: